• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finding/Buying A Collection: The Imagination Stage
3 3

112 posts in this topic

On the way there, I stopped at a few historic markers. I came across one that is going to be my next project. 

During the Civil War, Arizona was not yet a U.S. territory. The southern part was very scarcely populated, the Spanish population outnumbered the Americans and the Indians outnumbered both. In the Spring of 1862, a detachment of a few hundred Confederate Calvary was sent from Arkansas to seize the city of Tucson.  When they got to the city, they found the Union troops had fled. Two weeks later, a larger group of Union soldiers arrived, and the Confederates decided it was time to go home. 

The Apache's knew better to attack large groups of soldiers, but they managed to isolate a small Southern wagon train and they stole  a hundred heads of cattle after killing the soldiers guarding it, and some of the handlers.  

The Calvary tracked down the Apache's the next day, recovered the cows and killed the Indians.

The four southern soldiers were buried near Portal, the only Confederate dead of the campaign.  It's the western most Confederate Cemetery and for reasons I've yet discovered, the Rebel soldiers are considered to have died in the US-Indian War and not the Civil War. Of hundreds of thousands who died wearing the Southern uniform, only these four are considered to have died for the country and are enrolled in the Book of the Honored Dead. There has to be a story behind it.

On 5/27/2022 at 1:42 PM, shadroch said:

On the way there, I stopped at a few historic markers. I came across one that is going to be my next project. 

During the Civil War, Arizona was not yet a U.S. territory. The southern part was very scarcely populated, the Spanish population outnumbered the Americans and the Indians outnumbered both. In the Spring of 1862, a detachment of a few hundred Confederate Calvary was sent from Arkansas to seize the city of Tucson.  When they got to the city, they found the Union troops had fled. Two weeks later, a larger group of Union soldiers arrived, and the Confederates decided it was time to go home. 

The Apache's knew better to attack large groups of soldiers, but they managed to isolate a small Southern wagon train and they stole  a hundred heads of cattle after killing the soldiers guarding it, and some of the handlers.  

The Calvary tracked down the Apache's the next day, recovered the cows and killed the Indians.

The four southern soldiers were buried near Portal, the only Confederate dead of the campaign.  It's the western most Confederate Cemetery and for reasons I've yet discovered, the Rebel soldiers are considered to have died in the US-Indian War and not the Civil War. Of hundreds of thousands who died wearing the Southern uniform, only these four are considered to have died for the country and are enrolled in the Book of the Honored Dead. There has to be a story behind it.

Desolate area out there for sure.  It's not really that hard to image what it was for those soldiers since so much of that area still looks the same.

So after a couple hectic weeks, I was able to chat with my colleagues again. I encouraged X-Men 4 guy to dig it outta the closet and I also reminded "comics from neighbour" friend to bring her box of goodies in. She also clarified that the comics were actually from her husband's uncle, not a neighbour. She also said to make sure I bug her every couple days until she brings them in so here is hoping within the next week, I have pictures of awesomeness to share with you all!

Update!

Comics are coming for my viewing this week. They are out and she forgot them today but I am expecting I will see them tomorrow. They did belong to her husband's uncle who sadly passed away about a decade ago. He was 86 at the time. They are just in a shoebox and were given to her husband who has just had them stored all this time. So I am doubting they are 90s junk or even 80s.

I am going to put my top 3 guesses now and we shall see what happens

1. Westerns/War related books...maybe even a couple good ones

2. Gold Key/Charlton books with some cartoonish characters mixed in.

3. DC/Marvel stuff from the 60s. Hey, I gotta have a dream scenario in the top 3 right?

Edited by comicginger1789

On 6/20/2022 at 5:51 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Update!

Comics are coming for my viewing this week. They are out and she forgot them today but I am expecting I will see them tomorrow. They did belong to her husband's uncle who sadly passed away about a decade ago. He was 86 at the time. They are just in a shoebox and were given to her husband who has just had them stored all this time. So I am doubting they are 90s junk or even 80s.

I am going to put my top 3 guesses now and we shall see what happens

1. Westerns/War related books...maybe even a couple good ones

2. Gold Key/Charlton books with some cartoonish characters mixed in.

3. DC/Marvel stuff from the 60s. Hey, I gotta have a dream scenario in the top 3 right?

So you're telling me there's a chance! (I'm sticking with my guesses)

Rawhide Kid #19, Showcase #54, & Fightin' Air Force #38

Alright so she forgot to bring today…she was mad at herself haha I told her not to worry I’ll just keep bugging her as she insisted I do so until she brings them in.

But I did get images sent tonight. Just a few. Looks like a true menagerie of lower grade everything. Hopefully there something good but it’s just neat to see some stuff someone held onto. The silica gel packets in the shoe box are a nice touch as are the homemade notes for each issue 

B54A870D-C1B8-4533-A5B6-6D23B2D1087C.jpeg

9358C8D0-07CC-4802-A243-855A95A8E151.jpeg

9A3FD717-2DF4-4B96-8F2E-EC3E44A37E1C.jpeg

380238CB-A238-4241-B1E2-F6D4D1DD8C61.jpeg

593E50FC-9AF6-4135-9D1F-18B04C8E92DC.jpeg

285C570C-04AE-447A-96FA-95445993659E.jpeg

47E290D4-8503-47A7-9DAC-BBCFF7A443F2.jpeg

Edited by comicginger1789

On 5/27/2022 at 2:42 PM, shadroch said:

You should read the "Three Cornered War"

On 5/24/2022 at 1:32 AM, FlyingDonut said:

Challengers, Blackhawks, and beat up World's Finest Comics. Some Doom Patrols, but not the two that are worth anything. Thrashed Actions and Detectives, but no Adams issues. Lots of reprint Marvel squarebounds.

:acclaim:

a couple of months ago, an older gentleman who I had purchased about 20 short boxes of moderns gave me a call. he said he had found some more comics and if i was interested. he said these were much older, lot of cartoon book etc but some super hero books also. I try to always temper my expectations but of course my mind started to race, any horror, romance etc...

he said he had over 1500 of them and for me to come out and take a look. he lives about an hour away.

so i made the trip one night, the majority (90%) of the books were funnies, but many in bad shape, about a long box and a half of Richie Rich, about a long box and a half of Archies (bronze to modern) and the marvel/dc were silver age but most were beat up well read copies.no keys.

i took them more as a courtesy to the seller and a dealer i know locally who does better with that material.

I kept some books for the gas/time mainly some archie bikini books, mostly modern that I can sell at show.

On 6/21/2022 at 11:33 PM, FlyingDonut said:

:acclaim:

So far you are the winner....although you said No Neal and there is definitely one Neal haha

20-30 mystery books remain though....a diamond in the rough? More rough in the rough? My expectations are tempered greatly having seen what is there (seems like a stack he picked up while yard saling once for the fun of it or perhaps he did dabble in comics and bought these from the store that was open in the 70s and 80s that stamped and markered the heck outta the books, hence that penile looking 6 on Batman as the mark down to 6 cents)

I think the 'imagination stage' also applies when you're planning to visit an LCS or second hand store with comics you haven't visited before. You have high hopes, thinking about dream keys which could be there, only for these dreams to be dashed by reality. It's like buying a lottery ticket but with slightly better odds :nyah: I heard of a second hand store on the outskirts of the city with some 90 long boxes of comics. The anticipation before I finally went there was great. I imagined discovering different books I'd love to add to my PC. But when I got there I found the boxes were picked clean of keys or even good filler books. For example there was a run of Coyote comics but all the McFarlane issues were missing. I might go back one day & pick up the run of non-key bronze age Tomb of Dracula's that were there. My brains were fried after several hours of almost fruitless searching. When I got home with a few run filling books, I found the Peter Parker Spectacular Spiderman #131 (Kraven's Last Hunt Pt 3) had a big tear in it. They'd charged me $7 for it too which is a high grade price

Edited by MattrixAlien

On 6/22/2022 at 10:12 PM, MattrixAlien said:

I think the 'imagination stage' also applies when you're planning to visit an LCS or second hand store with comics you haven't visited before. You have high hopes, thinking about dream keys which could be there, only for these dreams to be dashed by reality. It's like buying a lottery ticket but with slightly better odds :nyah: I heard of a second hand store on the outskirts of the city with some 90 long boxes of comics. The anticipation before I finally went there was great. I imagined discovering different books I'd love to add to my PC. But when I got there I found the boxes were picked clean of keys or even good filler books. For example there was a run of Coyote comics but all the McFarlane issues were missing. I might go back one day & pick up the run of non-key bronze age Tomb of Dracula's that were there. My brains were fried after several hours of almost fruitless searching. When I got home with a few run filling books, I found the Peter Parker Spectacular Spiderman #131 (Kraven's Last Hunt Pt 3) had a big tear in it. They'd charged me $7 for it too which is a high grade price

Yes similar feeling, although with a comic shop, I never feel that way. I figure secondhand bookstores, pawn shops, antique stores are much more likely to have hidden treasures. That or they price every comic no matter the condition at $20-30. Either way though, there is that excitement and prospect of dollar bins or $2 bins that may have some treasuries within!

On 6/23/2022 at 5:49 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Yes similar feeling, although with a comic shop, I never feel that way. I figure secondhand bookstores, pawn shops, antique stores are much more likely to have hidden treasures. That or they price every comic no matter the condition at $20-30. Either way though, there is that excitement and prospect of dollar bins or $2 bins that may have some treasuries within!

I still frequent those kind of stores looking for all kinds of stuff as well as comics. Have gotton real lucky over the years but most of those deals have dried up now. I did find a mid grade late GA Capt. America comic sitting on a pile of old Life mags about 6 months ago. What a lucky find. Finds like that are far snd few between though. 

On 6/23/2022 at 11:05 AM, Robot Man said:

I still frequent those kind of stores looking for all kinds of stuff as well as comics. Have gotton real lucky over the years but most of those deals have dried up now. I did find a mid grade late GA Capt. America comic sitting on a pile of old Life mags about 6 months ago. What a lucky find. Finds like that are far snd few between though. 

I think it depends where you are. Rural areas are where ya need to go. Any major city, yeah I feel enough collectors exist there and have found stuff like that. Cities where there are 20000-75000 people are the ones I think still hold some treasures