• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 9.4 vs. Amazing Fantasy 15 6.0 Restored (m/e)--which to sell, which to keep as a better investment?
1 1

15 posts in this topic

I have these two books, and I'm sentimental about both of them, but it's time to pay some bills and do some traveling. I can gauge the FMV of the Hulk book by recent sales, ($18,000 at HA, and still climbing), but the AF15 is trickier because of the restored grade. I have no idea what its FMV would be, and whether it has the same, better, or lower future investment potential. 

In your opinions, which is the "sell now" book, and which is the "hang on to it" book? Any advice on what the FMV might be for the AF15?

Thanks everyone!

280749334_385639546658849_3252377918966935038_n.jpeg

Use the GPA to figure out the lowest floor of similar restored books (in lower grades) when trying to price out items that might be lacking exact data points. 

In this case I would say it's currently around $28,800 since a 5.0 restored copies sold this year for that much (which had similar levels of restoration but was also trimmed), however the issue might be cooling off so nothing is for certain. Keep the AF15, as the Hulk 181 isn't really at all rare and can be replaced pretty much any day of the week.

Honestly, this is tricky. And if the AF15 was universal in nearly any grade, I would say keep the AF15.  

But the IH181 has come down a bit off it's record highs, so it may not be a great time time to sell. 

With that said, it would be much easier to replace the IH181 if you ever felt the itch. Maybe not in a 9.4, but entry level copies of IH181 are much more affordable than entry level AF15s. 

On 5/24/2022 at 4:01 PM, KCOComics said:

Honestly, this is tricky. And if the AF15 was universal in nearly any grade, I would say keep the AF15.  

But the IH181 has come down a bit off it's record highs, so it may not be a great time time to sell. 

With that said, it would be much easier to replace the IH181 if you ever felt the itch. Maybe not in a 9.4, but entry level copies of IH181 are much more affordable than entry level AF15s. 

I'm of the thinking to keep the AF no matter what. But along this reasoning, why not sell the Hulk and use the proceeds to buy a blue AF? Then you can go about selling the purple AF, which basically upgraded your overall situation. MIght take some time, but now is a good time, since prices have dipped somewhat. 

Thank you all SO MUCH for the helpful advice! I really do appreciate it. Everyone here seems to be in agreement, so I'm going to stick with what you've all advised. I do like the idea of selling both and getting a blue AF15, though... 
But until my own artwork sales recover from the Covid buying dip, I'm kinda stuck having to let go of some stuff I wanted to keep. I think it'll be the Hulk 181.