• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Convince me not to sell my entire comic book collection... Or don't.
7 7

105 posts in this topic

First of all, it's been quite some time since I posted in these forums outside of the one place I tend to spend my time in. That's not to say that I don't partake in the hobbies to which they're dedicated. And that's why I'm here today.

Simply put, I'm waffling over whether or not I should sell my comic books collection. But first, I suppose there should be some exposition first. So let me explain...

My wife and I are getting really close to becoming "empty-nesters". To that end, we've been having some significant work done on our family's home. Besides the necessary repairs that were the original impetus for the project we're undergoing, we decided to do some cleanup and touch-up work on the place so that we could get it ready to sell. And it is our intent to do so as soon as we can.

"That's great for you," you might say. But what does that have to do with anyone else here? Well, another facet of this whole process is a massive decluttering. Rosa and I are looking to become empty-nesters and that means we'll have less room for "stuff". So we're (mostly me) are evaluating where it makes sense to downsize and were it doesn't. We've already ditched a lot of needless furniture, a great many dishes and dishware, and a lot of old clothes.

I've also sold off or donated my entire "books library". The way I see it, the last physical book I read was many years ago... It was The Martian by Andy Weir. Every book I've read since has been in some digital form or other. And that brings me to the reason for this post. It's because the same is largely true for comic books as well.

As a matter of giving further backup info, I am the proud owner of some 12,000 comic books. I've been collecting since before I was a teenager. That said, I haven't bought anything new in the so-called "spandex-set" (aka superhero books) in well more than a decade. And I haven't bought any new, printed books from any genre in about half as long.

It goes without say that 12k comic books in physical form do take up a bit of space. Like I said, the wife and I are looking for a smaller living space for our "forever home". That said, it's not so much space that I can't set aside the 15-20 square feet of the floor space it would take to store my books long-term. There'd also be how they're to be kept, considering we have cats and cardboard boxes aren't the best idea when one does. But that's incidental.

I just don't know it's worth the trouble.

My collection is nothing too special. Most everyone hear either knows or can easily guess about what my age is. And based when I started collection, you can also put together what the characteristics of my collection are. My books are kept in really good shape and I do have really deep runs of a lot of desirable titles. But, of the 12k books, maybe 10%, if I'm being generous, are mid to late bronze age or older.

In short, I'm not going to get wealthy selling my books. That's true today and probably will be so the rest of my life. I do have a thousand books or so from the late 60's and early 70's and those do have some worth. For instance, I own a copy of every issue volume 1 of Journey Into Mystery/The Mighty Thor from #120 on. Many of those in really nice condition. There might be a few dozen or more books like that in my collection. But it's still not life-changing money we're talking about here.

And that brings me to the point of this post. I come seeking advice. Is it worth my trouble to keep my collection? I'm waffling on whether or not I should do so.

So I ask you all to convince me not to... Or don't. Your advice is appreciated either way.

On 5/31/2022 at 10:59 PM, Ariamus said:

First of all, it's been quite some time since I posted in these forums outside of the one place I tend to spend my time in. That's not to say that I don't partake in the hobbies to which they're dedicated. And that's why I'm here today.

Simply put, I'm waffling over whether or not I should sell my comic books collection. But first, I suppose there should be some exposition first. So let me explain...

My wife and I are getting really close to becoming "empty-nesters". To that end, we've been having some significant work done on our family's home. Besides the necessary repairs that were the original impetus for the project we're undergoing, we decided to do some cleanup and touch-up work on the place so that we could get it ready to sell. And it is our intent to do so as soon as we can.

"That's great for you," you might say. But what does that have to do with anyone else here? Well, another facet of this whole process is a massive decluttering. Rosa and I are looking to become empty-nesters and that means we'll have less room for "stuff". So we're (mostly me) are evaluating where it makes sense to downsize and were it doesn't. We've already ditched a lot of needless furniture, a great many dishes and dishware, and a lot of old clothes.

I've also sold off or donated my entire "books library". The way I see it, the last physical book I read was many years ago... It was The Martian by Andy Weir. Every book I've read since has been in some digital form or other. And that brings me to the reason for this post. It's because the same is largely true for comic books as well.

As a matter of giving further backup info, I am the proud owner of some 12,000 comic books. I've been collecting since before I was a teenager. That said, I haven't bought anything new in the so-called "spandex-set" (aka superhero books) in well more than a decade. And I haven't bought any new, printed books from any genre in about half as long.

It goes without say that 12k comic books in physical form do take up a bit of space. Like I said, the wife and I are looking for a smaller living space for our "forever home". That said, it's not so much space that I can't set aside the 15-20 square feet of the floor space it would take to store my books long-term. There'd also be how they're to be kept, considering we have cats and cardboard boxes aren't the best idea when one does. But that's incidental.

I just don't know it's worth the trouble.

My collection is nothing too special. Most everyone hear either knows or can easily guess about what my age is. And based when I started collection, you can also put together what the characteristics of my collection are. My books are kept in really good shape and I do have really deep runs of a lot of desirable titles. But, of the 12k books, maybe 10%, if I'm being generous, are mid to late bronze age or older.

In short, I'm not going to get wealthy selling my books. That's true today and probably will be so the rest of my life. I do have a thousand books or so from the late 60's and early 70's and those do have some worth. For instance, I own a copy of every issue volume 1 of Journey Into Mystery/The Mighty Thor from #120 on. Many of those in really nice condition. There might be a few dozen or more books like that in my collection. But it's still not life-changing money we're talking about here.

And that brings me to the point of this post. I come seeking advice. Is it worth my trouble to keep my collection? I'm waffling on whether or not I should do so.

So I ask you all to convince me not to... Or don't. Your advice is appreciated either way.

Does it give you joy?

If not,  get rid of it. 

Keep the books that mean something to you or are special downsize the rest and enjoy ur empty nesting 

Sell therm all.  Put some money aside in case you want to dive back in, and put ten percent aside for our Uncle Sam. 

I'd divide them into three groups. Now, Soon, and Later.   Go through them all and move the Now books.   You don't have to  sell them all at once.  

I like the advice to keep 10 and sell the rest. Do it now while you feel motivated to do the work.

I'm at your stage in life too, I want to downsize, and my collections have become a ball and chain.  Too valuable to give away and too big to easily sell. I dread the task before me.

Discuss it with your wife some more, not strangers on a chat board. :peace:

We have no idea how your wife REALLY thinks.

I suspect there is middle ground to be had.

Good Luck! :foryou:

How do your kids feel about the collection? Is it something they might want in later years? I know I'd be thrilled to discover Dad had some great comics of those guys I'm seeing at the movies and watching in TV, I'd get a real kick out of that, and would hate to see them go. But well, I'd take anyone's collection lol Write me into your wills, people! 

Anyway, if you're sure the kids have no interest then yeah, I'd probably downsize. Pick a number that seems reasonable to you, to keep. Or do it in lots. You don't have to swing the axe all at once. Best of luck whatever you do. 

On 5/31/2022 at 9:07 PM, Ariamus said:

It gives me a lot of joy every time I open a comic book to read or even look at. :cloud9: But it's been a long time since I've bothered doing even just that. hm

I’d suggest you spend a few hours going through you collection.  If you don’t feel a strong connection sell them.

We've been in a 20+ year unprecedented bull market with comics going through the roof. If you are really considering selling, I would think of the old adage 'strike while the iron is hot.'  I do like the idea of keeping a small set to admire that doesn't take up a lot of space.

Yeah, I know, the market will never go down and even if the market crashes all the comics will keep soaring... sure.

Edited by bronze_rules