• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Convince me not to sell my entire comic book collection... Or don't.
7 7

105 posts in this topic

On 6/1/2022 at 6:15 AM, Zonker said:

One option I've found that works for me is selling off the originals and using the funds to buy the associated Marvel Omnibus, with a nice profit left over.  Marvel's  Silver Age & Bronze Age Omnis include all the letter pages, so I feel like I'm getting 99% of the benefit of having the originals, but at a small fraction of the space.  Also if I want to look up something prompted by some discussion here, it is a lot easier to thumb through a single hardcover book instead of opening up a box, thumbing through the various issues, unbagging them, etc.  I know you said you hadn't looked through the books in a while, but you might find a book on the shelf is more accessible and therefore more likely to be read than the original comics.

I did the same thing and now have $2500 worth of Omnis and Archives sitting in a bookcase instead of six or so boxes of SA books.  It seemed like a good idea at the time, but now they sit there unopened. 

On 6/1/2022 at 11:12 AM, Cat said:

I actually believe something like this will happen on here one day. Someone will give a poorer member a book of some value at a bargain price, just as a good deed. Don't know what, where, when, but I believe it will. I also believe we won't be surprised if the giftee tried to sell it within a week instead of treasuring what they were just given. 

There was a guy on the masterworks board who sold off most of his masterworks collection for about $10 to 20 each (some go upwards of hundreds on ebay). A rarity indeed and I hope a non flipper got them. 

Edited by bronze_rules

On 6/1/2022 at 5:57 PM, bronze_rules said:

There was a guy on the masterworks board who sold off most of his masterworks collection for about $10 to 20 each (some go upwards of hundreds on ebay). A rarity indeed and I hope a non flipper got them. 

There's a board specifically for Masterworks?  I never found that.  Is there a site map available for the forums, or can someone post a link over to Masterworks. 

I'm presuming it's a CGC board being referred to, but maybe not.

On 6/1/2022 at 8:46 PM, Lightning55 said:

There's a board specifically for Masterworks?  I never found that.  Is there a site map available for the forums, or can someone post a link over to Masterworks. 

I'm presuming it's a CGC board being referred to, but maybe not.

Yes. I don't know if I can post link (guidelines) but just do a search for marvelmasterworks forum or collectededitions. Not affiliated with this site, but big and very specialized on collected editions (masterworks, omni, marvel, dc etc) and artwork (AEs etc). If you still can't find it just PM me.

Edited by bronze_rules

On 6/2/2022 at 12:07 AM, bronze_rules said:

Yes. I don't know if I can post link (guidelines) but just do a search for marvelmasterworks forum or collectededitions. Not affiliated with this site, but big and very specialized on collected editions (masterworks, omni, marvel, dc etc) and artwork (AEs etc). If you still can't find it just PM me.

Thanks for responding.  I forgot all about that forum.  I used to check in there now and then.  When it was moved to Tapatalk, if that name is correct, it just never seemed the same and I bailed. 

I thought maybe there was an MMW forum here, but I guess it's really not relevant to grading in any way.

On 6/1/2022 at 9:31 PM, Lightning55 said:

Thanks for responding.  I forgot all about that forum.  I used to check in there now and then.  When it was moved to Tapatalk, if that name is correct, it just never seemed the same and I bailed. 

I thought maybe there was an MMW forum here, but I guess it's really not relevant to grading in any way.

Yep. No grading discussed there. Just love of collections, artists, and art.

On 6/1/2022 at 11:01 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Any comic grails?  How about selling the majority of the collection and buying a single book you’ve always wanted?

I do have some and selling my books would be a way to finance those.

On 6/2/2022 at 8:00 AM, Poekaymon said:

Why is it always all or nothing with these kinds of posts. Can always store a few boxes, even in a studio apartment. Just scale it back. 

HOW DARE YOU?!?!? :whatthe:

Make me choose between my babies... You monster!!! (tsk)

On 6/1/2022 at 4:04 PM, shadroch said:

Again, what works for you might not work for me.  You do your math.   Remember- you only owe taxes on your profit, not the total sales.

Understood. However, I have books that I purchased in the late 1970s and in the early 1980s. I certainly don't have a receipt, and there is no way that I can remember what I paid for them. In this case, most of my books will have to designated as 100% profit.

On 6/1/2022 at 10:01 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Any comic grails?  How about selling the majority of the collection and buying a single book you’ve always wanted?

I have actually considered this more than once. I would sell my entire collection, and purchase the highest graded copy of AF #15 or FF #1 that I could afford. Obviously, this is still in the thinking stage.

On 6/2/2022 at 6:27 AM, Math Teacher said:

Understood. However, I have books that I purchased in the late 1970s and in the early 1980s. I certainly don't have a receipt, and there is no way that I can remember what I paid for them. In this case, most of my books will have to designated as 100% profit.

Okay. If you say so.