• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st Lois Lane Cover? Action Comics #29? I don't think so.

45 posts in this topic

Ok, ran across this on eBay. Action Comics #29 is labeled it appears incorrectly by CGC as the first Lois Lane cover? Compare it to the photo of the same comic graded by CBCS who have it labeled as LL's 2nd cover appearance.  Action Comics # 27 appears to be LL's 1st cover. Thoughts? Someone buying #29 as the first Lois could be p*ssed off after the fact. Reminds of the other thread about the mislabeling of the Ultimate Spider-Man #1. 

ac3.jpg

ac 1.jpg

ac2.jpg

ac4.jpg

ac5.jpg

I love all these yet undiscovered meanings of "Certified" and "Guaranty"!

On 6/1/2022 at 3:27 PM, Quetzalcoatal said:

Not even close to the same, one's debatable, one isn't. Plus, one of them is right, right?

Did not say it was the same. Said it reminds me of it. Is it not the same in the respect that someone can potentially make a purchase based off an incorrect label? That's my point. 

On 6/1/2022 at 1:34 PM, O Doyle Rules said:

Ok, ran across this on eBay. Action Comics #29 is labeled it appears incorrectly by CGC as the first Lois Lane cover? Compare it to the photo of the same comic graded by CBCS who have it labeled as LL's 2nd cover appearance.  Action Comics # 27 appears to be LL's 1st cover. Thoughts? Someone buying #29 as the first Lois could be p*ssed off after the fact. Reminds of the other thread about the mislabeling of the Ultimate Spider-Man #1. 

ac3.jpg

ac 1.jpg

ac2.jpg

ac4.jpg

ac5.jpg

A reholder will fix it as the Census has Action Comics #27 listed as Lois Lane's 1st cover.

2022-06-01_15-13-51.jpg.41e09eb0c78c7614c7776aecbdf35f5a.jpg

On 6/1/2022 at 1:04 PM, Quetzalcoatal said:

Only if you're a dumbazz label donkey who doesn't do any research and blindly follows whatever CGC says. No one's buying an Action #27 as an impulse buy...

this is also my take.  CGC has graded millions of books. they're going to make some mistakes.  If you buy one second hand and can spend hundreds or thousands without doing the barest bit of research, I'm not going to have a ton of sympathy.  And congratulations to that person for being at the point in life where they can spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on a COMIC without even knowing much about the book.  Even then, that buyer could just return it in a reasonable amount of time in most cases.

So I ain't mad about the occasional mislabel with CGC, which I think percentagewise are really quite rare.  THe newton rings and crazy turnaround times...that bothers me MUUUCCHH more.

On 6/1/2022 at 4:32 PM, O Doyle Rules said:

This is not a one off on the Action #29 with CGC indicating it as the 1st LL cover.

Nobody said it was. They (eventually) fixed their notes on the two issues.

On 6/1/2022 at 5:42 PM, JollyComics said:

Overstreet messed it up too.  I checked two different versions of Overstreet Price Guide.

I wonder how many of the Action #29 did CGC get wrong? At what point is there a recall? I get the "experts" on this board not wanting to be a dumbazz label donkeys as they put it, but here are two examples of folks selling the book as a 1st LL cover on eBay based just off the label obviously. Respected sellers, not just some "dumbazz label donkey". I think it's reasonable for a newbie looking at these eBay listings that represent a certain key comic from respected sellers that also has the CGC certification verifying it is indeed that comic could come to the logical (but wrong) conclusion that they are buying the real deal. Mistakes are made in every industry, but if you use the words "Certified & Guaranty", you are selling that something is in fact the real deal. You are selling genuine. CGC sure likes to promote that the CGC label increases value: 

CGC-certified Detective Comics #27 Sells for $1.74 Million

On 6/1/2022 at 5:10 PM, O Doyle Rules said:

Not the issue. Respected sellers are selling them today as 1st LL covers. 

Even respected sellers occasionally mess up.

Also, :censored: and insufficiently_thoughtful_persons masquerading as respected sellers get a lot of things wrong intentionally (and sometimes unintentionally).

On 6/1/2022 at 5:08 PM, O Doyle Rules said:

CGC sure likes to promote that the CGC label increases value

No, they promote that comics they impartially graded are worth more.

CGC's issue notes are worthless garbage., Even if they're correct. Which they far too often are not.

On 6/1/2022 at 5:42 PM, JollyComics said:

Overstreet messed it up too.  I checked two different versions of Overstreet Price Guide.

I guess this was how CGC was able to certify that Action #29 is the first LL cover. Used a reputable source to do their research. 

On 6/1/2022 at 6:19 PM, Lazyboy said:

Even respected sellers occasionally mess up.

Also, :censored: and insufficiently_thoughtful_persons masquerading as respected sellers get a lot of things wrong intentionally (and sometimes unintentionally).

I agree 100%. Everyone's human.  Leave me out of the "expert" and "perfect" lines. 

On 6/1/2022 at 5:24 PM, O Doyle Rules said:

I guess this was how CGC was able to certify that Action #29 is the first LL cover. Used a reputable source to do their research. 

Yeah, Overstreet has :censored: up many things for decades, some of which are so ingrained in the hobby that it's very difficult to get people to see the truth.

I had an AC 29 graded in early 2021 by CGC knowing it was the second appearance and the label came back saying first. I sent it back to to be fixed and they sent it back the same exact way. I gave up and recently sold it but was very clear it was mislabeled by CGC. It seems the change took place in Overstreet a few years ago. CGC said they working on fixing it at one point. 

Edited by Msgarmar
Added link