• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not 9.8 anymore?
3 3

11 posts in this topic

I received today a batch of slabs from CGC.

I now always check if the 9.8 were damaged during encapsulation. Since this problem happened to me once in the past.

I think that two slabs were damaged this time. They don’t look like 9.8 to me in their cases. So the problem probably occurred after the grading, during the encapsulation.

Before I submit the problem to CGC, I would like to have the opinion of some members with more experience than me. I might be wrong.

First comic is Marvel Comics Presents 72 and the second Saga of the Swamp Thing 37.

My goal is to sell them and I want to be fair to the potential buyers.

Thanks for your time.

IMG_4758.jpg

IMG_4754.JPG

Edited by Pangolin

The top corner chip might be considered a manufacturing defect, and not counted against the book.  I have had some Thor 338's missing the corner tip entirely get 9.8.

You might also see some arguments that 9.8 can have small flaws, such as the spine tic on the #72.  It will be interesting to see what opinions you get.  Good idea you have to ask around before presenting your case to CGC.

Reality is one spine tick sometimes get a 9.8 

Does it always if a book is otherwise flawless? No. Should it always? That depends on who ya ask. Most would probably say no.

And agree with the corner chip. I have seen some graders grade something like that as a 9.8 and others a 9.6. 

As someone who cares not about whether a book is 9.6 or 9.8, I am unaffected. But many are.

On 6/10/2022 at 7:57 AM, comicginger1789 said:

And agree with the corner chip. I have seen some graders grade something like that as a 9.8 and others a 9.6. 

As someone who cares not about whether a book is 9.6 or 9.8, I am unaffected. But many are.

This. I'm frequently asked whether I think modern books that have this corner chip can still hit a 9.8.... I usually respond with "send it to CGC and find out?" lol

From my experience, I've gotten books back as a 9.8 with either a very small tic that just barely bleeds onto the front cover or the corner ship on the top/bottom of the spine. So to OP's question: it can still be a 9.8.

Thanks to all of you for your comments.

I agree that it's difficult to explain how the spine tick on MCP 72 could have occured during encapsulation. So I'll drop this case...

However, for SST 37, I still feel that this tiny corner chip probably happened during the encapsulation because I don’t understand how it could have stayed there during the grading process. It almost looks like it's torn from the page and "floating around".

What do you think?

Edited by Pangolin

On 6/10/2022 at 4:49 PM, Pangolin said:

I agree that it's difficult to explain how the spine tick on MCP 72 could have occured during encapsulation. So I'll drop this case...

However, for SST 37, I still feel that this tiny corner chip probably happened during the encapsulation because I don’t understand how it could have stayed there during the grading process. It almost looks like it's torn from the page and "floating around".

What do you think?

It is plausible on SW37. I've also seen similar defect get 9.8 in past. I will not purposely purchase any 9.8 that looks like that. Still a few have made it into the collection one of the many reasons why my general rule for 10 years is do not buy a book I can not see in person, or purchase only from dealers that realize returns are simply part of the COB

Edited by MAR1979

On 6/10/2022 at 4:49 PM, Pangolin said:

What do you think?

Definitely possible. The inner wells they use now switch the book and can create a ripple which maybe does more harm l. Maybe that played a roll here??