• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mechanical Error results in book being graded again ?
2 2

21 posts in this topic

Hi, 

So I recently submitted my first two books to CGC for grading . I got them both back and one had very severe Newton rings and

the other had a moderate amount of scuffing .

Anyhow they were very helpful in paying for shipping and insurance to send the books back for new cases .

The customer service agent was very friendly and helpful.

So on the books that I sent back they are supposed to get new cases but I see their status is scheduled for grading .

The comics were just graded I was simply getting a non defective case . 

Do they regrade every book that simply needs a new case?

Not sure exactly what is happening here . 

Thanks! 

I believe they are regraded to ensure the book wasn’t damaged when it was removed from the case and thus the grade lowering.  

I think this is part of the agreement acknowledgement you check before going through with the process. 

This is what had me the most frustrated/scared about my mechanical error saga where I had to send the book back 3 times. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 6/10/2022 at 8:16 PM, awakeintheashes said:

I believe they are regraded to ensure the book wasn’t damaged when it was removed from the case and thus the grade lowering.  

I think this is part of the agreement acknowledgement you check before going through with the process. 

This is what had me the most frustrated/scared about my mechanical error saga where I had to send the book back 3 times. 

Ahhhh ok yes I checked the agreement . 

You would think that after cracking so many slabs the acual cracking wouldnt damage many books as the process would be perfected . 

But yeah I guess there are lots of places where things can go wrong . 

I wonder if I could acually get a higher grade if they are being regraded independently again . 
I wonder if the person doing the regrading knows the grade it got before .

Unless something bad happened to your books on the way back, 99.9% chance they will just change the holder.  Also 99.9% chance that there will be something wrong this time, too.  Different day, different problem.

The dashboard shows the best choice of where it is in the process, as they don't have a step called "Getting A New Holder Because We Can't Do It Right The First Time"

As I always note, in my experience, when I have returned comic books for mechanical errors they have always been listed as "Scheduled for Grading" but all that has occurred is that they have been placed in a new holder, retaining their grade. Of course, none of the comic books had suffered any damage, including one that initially reached me with a holder whose bottom had been completely shattered and broken off.

On 6/11/2022 at 1:23 AM, Lightning55 said:

Unless something bad happened to your books on the way back, 99.9% chance they will just change the holder.  Also 99.9% chance that there will be something wrong this time, too.  Different day, different problem.

The dashboard shows the best choice of where it is in the process, as they don't have a step called "Getting A New Holder Because We Can't Do It Right The First Time"

OK maybe this is whats going on then , yes it doesnt make sense to regrade them unless the process of removing them and handling them results in 

decreased grades a significant amount of time which seems unlikely . 

On 6/11/2022 at 8:27 AM, Courageous Cat said:

sent my walkthrough book back 2 weeks ago and still in SFG status. Will I get an adjustment? Not a chance in hell. I'm lucky if I see the book in the near future ...150 dollars in the trash :pullhair:

Ahhhhh you sent it back for a problem with the case ? 

On 6/11/2022 at 8:22 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

As I always note, in my experience, when I have returned comic books for mechanical errors they have always been listed as "Scheduled for Grading" but all that has occurred is that they have been placed in a new holder, retaining their grade. Of course, none of the comic books had suffered any damage, including one that initially reached me with a holder whose bottom had been completely shattered and broken off.

Yes makes sense , when you received the book back was the problem fixed ? 

On 6/11/2022 at 2:00 PM, Corallas said:

Yes makes sense , when you received the book back was the problem fixed ? 

Yes. However, the only problem I have, fortunately (if a problem may be called such), had thus far, has been damaged holders (no comic books placed upside down in the holder, no label with errors, no damaged comic book, etc.).

The main thing is that the books survived and even came back, and everything else is trifles. I once sent not a comic book but a Just Mercy book for a new cover because when it came to me it must have been kicked by 10 people and looked miserable. I was interested in it and I even read a couple of essays on it at https://eduzaurus.com/free-essay-samples/just-mercy/ because after reading it I had mixed feelings and I made sure I wasn't the only one. It's also kind of a small thing, but it's still not always the fault of those to whom the work is sent, often the delivery does its job and doesn't admit its fault.

Edited by Doughs