• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most desirable pulps
4 4

51 posts in this topic

On 10/10/2022 at 11:33 AM, Joshua33 said:

Technically, the Cupids Capers is a magazine, not a pulp, but all the pulp heads seem to desire a copy... me included. There will be a copy available in an upcoming Heritage auction, but I fear the days of obtaining a copy for under 5k are long over.

"but all the pulp heads seem to desire a copy"; no, just the pulp collectors who collect spicy pulps and the "smooshes".
I'd buy a copy, priced right, for resale. There is nothing worth reading in these magazines.

On 3/13/2023 at 8:45 AM, Point Five said:

I think of this pulp as a classic cover. I'm sure it's more common than e.g. the 1930s books, but for a Startling Stories it doesn't come around that often.

image.jpeg.2f0f599d618bce437177c9ba03ffdd0f.jpeg

If so, that is because the SF collectors and the Hero Pulp collectors working on their set of Captian Future.

On 3/14/2023 at 7:58 PM, FoggyNelson said:

Could be designated a classic cover as far as pulps go 🎖 🥉 🏆 

It might be, to people who collect pulps purely by the cover.
I do not think a Weird Tales collector would place this issue on a list of the 50 most desirable issues.

I certainly do not need a copy in my collection at all. Priced right, I would buy it for resale.
I could show you hundreds of pulp covers I like more.

What about the issues of "The Popular" with J.C. Lyendecker covers?

On 2/19/2024 at 12:32 AM, MattTheDuck said:

This would be a pretty boring hobby if everyone only wanted one book, saved and searched only for it, and quit collecting once they bought it.

... only to get a spanking and have Ma throw it away :sorry: GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 2/18/2024 at 5:03 PM, OtherEric said:

Well, once you get your grail lots of people then have another one that becomes their new grail.  The quest is part of the fun.

For me, my most wanted, never really thought I would own it pulp was the August 1928 Amazing Stories.  Now that I own a copy, my grail is the February 1928 Weird Tales. And if I ever find that, something else will become my grail book.

Amazing_Stories_1928_August.thumb.jpg.688393a3522f81b885e41393e185b160.jpg

I wouldn’t call it my “grail” but a fun story.

Was flea marketing with my wife. She was always a lot faster down the aisle than me. I was plodding along one day and saw her waving something at me in the distance. When I caught up to her she asked me “is this any good?”. I couldn’t believe my eyes. Was the only one the guy had. I quickly paid him and off we went. I then explained what it was but just got her usual blank look when I show her something. :roflmao:

I'm just amazed your wife will go flea marketing with you.  All I get is "have fun, dear" as I head out the door :kidaround:

(hitting a local antique mall today after I drop some eBay stuffs at the P.O., my last outing in which I hit maybe 10 different locations was entirely unsuccessful outside of a few golden age flippers which probably didn't cover lunch and gas)

Edited by Darwination

On 2/20/2024 at 10:10 AM, Darwination said:

I'm just amazed your wife will go flea marketing with you.  All I get is "have fun, dear" as I head out the door :kidaround:

(hitting a local antique mall today after I drop some eBay stuffs at the P.O., my last outing in which I hit maybe 10 different locations was entirely unsuccessful outside of a few golden age flippers which probably didn't cover lunch and gas)

My wife is a higher end antique dealer. Paintings, Tiffany glass, arts and craft items, art pottery, silver items ect. We have traveled all over the country together. She has no interest in comics, old toys, advertising, vintage sports items, old cars, motorcycles  or vintage “Americana” that I like.

She has found me a lot of stuff going to shows and estate sales. And knows enough to “be dangerous” as I do with antiques. She won’t go into old basements, attics, barns or buildings or anywhere with spider webs or “critters” like I will. She is a lady…:roflmao:

Together, what a duo :D

I feel like my time "picking" would a lot more valuable if I was more schooled in areas outside of books, comics, and magazines (and I'm decent when it comes to vinyl records, too).  In those areas, I instantly recognize the juiciest targets.  But there's so much other stuff I float past hunting these things (toys, antiques, clothing, etc.) that I feel like I'm missing out on that would make the time spent more worthwhile.  But, really, Memphis is not a great repository of lost treasures hm