• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disappointing Grade is in: Thor 165
3 3

29 posts in this topic

On 7/14/2023 at 1:16 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Sometimes you get wins

I got a 9.8 Walking Dead 1 back in the same shipment, so that helped ease the pain. Plus, I bought this long enough ago that I forgot how much I paid, so I can make up whatever loss I want (thumbsu

Edited by scburdet

On 7/14/2023 at 2:45 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

This enables their rationale/grading to retain a certain level of shall we say, discretion, from the outside world.

Are you suggesting that CGC intentionally has vague notes & standards just to make sure people keep submitting books that they otherwise might decide aren't worth the investment?!? :shiftyeyes:

On 7/14/2023 at 7:09 PM, scburdet said:

Are you suggesting that CGC intentionally has vague notes & standards just to make sure people keep submitting books that they otherwise might decide aren't worth the investment?!? :shiftyeyes:

No, I really wasn't suggesting that. Merely that the grader notes could have more meaning within CGC than they appear to have to the outside world.

On 7/16/2023 at 3:33 PM, Lninefingers said:

I think the color touch was on the label. My dealer says they have a reported up to a 2% failure rate. I assume this is a mixture of mislabeling, losing books, etc. The problem it seems to me is that problems in favor of the client, no one requests a fix. If the actual grading is questionable, there's no good process to appeal something that isn't completely obvious. Definitely not this book, but 4-5 out of the couple hundred I've gotten back are head scratchers.

On 7/14/2023 at 7:19 AM, Eric C M said:

I’m going off a sample size of exactly 1 but I have to believe that CGC is grading Restored books much more harshly than unrestored, whether they admit it or not. I recently submitted 2 copies of JIM #112, one of which I had posted here. Superficially one copy was far superior, no question, and I submitted that one in High Value. The other was a nice mid-grade plus copy.

Results: High Value copy returned in a Restored grade 6.0 (sidebar - I was taken by KellysSuperheroes on EBay - avoid at all costs!)

Vintage tier copy returned Universal grade 7.0

if you were just judging the 2 without knowing of restoration 100% of people would say the Restored copy looked superior.

I have a 6.0 of your book, yours looks slightly better, I would have said 6.5-7.0.

I luckily noticed the color touch on mine and returned it.  I left neutral feedback, not even negative.  He tried to bribe me to change it and then had it buried/removed.  I’m so sorry for what you went through.

Edited by Corvonie

On 12/18/2023 at 4:29 PM, Corvonie said:

I luckily noticed the color touch on mine and returned it.  I left neutral feedback, not even negative.  He tried to bribe me to change it and then had it buried/removed.  I encourage anyone inclined to pick one of his listings and report it as fraud.  I’m so sorry for what you went through.

Yes, I’ve considered buying another of his cheap listings just to leave a review that outs his tactics. There has been a good bit of speculation here  about what his game is. Personally I think he buys restored books on the cheap, cracks them and relists as higher grade and obviously buries little shorthand comments about restoration as an eBay workaround. Shady little .

On 12/18/2023 at 8:45 PM, Eric C M said:

Yes, I’ve considered buying another of his cheap listings just to leave a review that outs his tactics. There has been a good bit of speculation here  about what his game is. Personally I think he buys restored books on the cheap, cracks them and relists as higher grade and obviously buries little shorthand comments about restoration as an eBay workaround. Shady little .

I can say this - the restoration on mine was top notch and he gave me a refund no questions asked.   I think by his standards he is doing square business. I just think his standards are antiquated and from a time when there wasn’t a giant professional service you could mail your books to to detect restoration.  But he didn’t deny it was restored or try to not give me a refund etc