• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Throwing Money Away
6 6

120 posts in this topic

Why anyone would submit a Copper or later book and not use a 9.8 pre-screen is beyond me.

As a buyer I refuse to bail out anyones poor decisions. The value of CGC is identifying 9.8 and up for Copper/Modern. I would never pay a nickle more than the raw price on a 9.6. In actuality I bid less than the raw price to account for the additional shipping charges on a 9.6 slab. And as soon as the book arrives it gets cracked. That being said I have ever owned a handful of Copper 9.6’s. My $3 and $4 bids don’t win that often.

Hopefully these are one time subs and the submitter learns the hard lesson. 

Edited by NP_Gresham

For me. My submissions are for my own collection.  Anything I put on auction is because I replaced it with a higher grade I purchased or I had submitted for grading. I just put 19.99 with free priority mail shipping.  Some go for 19.99, some go for a few dollars more and some don't go at all.  Those that don't go at all I'll put on eBay one more time.  After that, I realize not everyone wants an Incredible Hulk's: Enigma Force number 3 in a 9.6 and I'll take them to my LCS to see if they'll give me a few bucks. If not, it goes to the book trading store unslabbed.  And I hope some young kid gets it, reads it, and becomes a fan of the Hulk. Granted. I don't think an Incredible Hulk's: Enigma Force number 3 in a 9.8 would go for a 19.99. Throwing money away? Sure. But that's me as a collector and not a dealer or eBay seller.

I had a slab for for $16 tonite.   I paid $10 for it so after commission I lost money.  I had it on MCS for several months without a nibble, and it was at $1 most of this auction.

You don't have to win them all.

On 6/27/2022 at 9:55 PM, godzilla43 said:

Nothing new under the sun. I would say most people who send stuff to grading are doing that because they believe it is part of this hobby. 

It's like some newbie badge of honor, as if sending their comics to a year in Florida buys them some street cred. 

I've done very well by taking advantage of buying slabbed at huge discounts and selling them using the fact its less than the cost of slabbing. The five slabs for $100 will soon  replace the dollar bins, if they haven't already.

Mistakes happen when you send books in for slabbing. Sometimes you get an 8.5 instead of the 9.4 or above you are hoping for and some books become impossible to sell at even grading costs. The money spent on grading is a sunk cost and slabs take up a lot of room so sometimes it is better to just take a loss and move on. That's the way it goes.

On 6/27/2022 at 6:46 PM, Lightning55 said:

A lot of those, as auctions, that's what you get.  Auctions have no power anymore.  Too bad.  It used to be like the Wild West years ago, now more like a ghost town.

As I was scanning through, I saw an ASM 316 9.6 go for $9.99 plus shipping.  What's with that???  https://www.ebay.com/itm/304545134080?

Then I see that the seller auctions some slabs with starting bids of $9.99.  I bet this one got listed as a Fixed Price instead, and someone picked it off.  It does show as sold, not as "ended". 

Only took 7 minutes and 33 seconds from list to sale.  I wonder if the seller explained the mistake, or actually sold it for $9.99.  Ouch.

I think he explained the mistake because it’s resisted https://www.ebay.com/itm/304545322446?hash=item46e850d5ce:g:NT0AAOSwCCFiuN-s

Thing is... by CGC taking in these volumes of drek - and of course they're not to blame since they're in the business of making money - they are taking away personnel and time from the legitimate grading of "things that really deserve to be graded" (Monty Python take note).  Sure there are some submitters that just want anything in a slab for their collections, but judging by the amount for sale on The Bay/IG/FB that number is dwarfed by the hordes more that are just submitting crapola in the hopes of hitting it big.  Or maybe they're just buying into the hype of variant covers, "key" issues in the 14th incarnation of a Spider Man title, 9th printings that are "scarce" or sketch covers of Wolverine by their nephew.  Meanwhile, here we are waiting long months for submissions that normally would have taken (at most) half the time.  

As noted above, I hope things normalize at CGC when these individuals learn the hard lessons.  Maybe.  I don't know as much on coins as I might on comics, but I can't picture myself just reaching for the change I get from the grocery and indiscriminately sending in handfuls to be graded/slabbed in the hopes of making money.  Actually I can't picture getting any change from the grocery lately, but that's another story.

Some of these examples are mind bending....who are these people!?!?! I get grading a book for you but those should never appear on ebay. I feel like we should message each of these seller and make them promise to never send books to CGC again in their lives

On 6/28/2022 at 1:41 PM, 1Cool said:

Is it throwing money away if CGC gets to laugh all the way to the bank?

no but for these sellers it is, these sellers aka buyers will either learn to be better buyers/sellers etc or leave the market

On 6/28/2022 at 1:07 PM, jsilverjanet said:

no but for these sellers it is, these sellers aka buyers will either learn to be better buyers/sellers etc or leave the market

I've made some terrible buying decisions, but nothing that cannot be recouped in 10 years time 

Not sure how anyone else is going to justify paying 500 bucks for common as muck 90s drek, but who knows

On 6/27/2022 at 11:24 PM, shadroch said:

The five slabs for $100 will soon replace the dollar bins, if they haven't already.

:golfclap:

On 6/27/2022 at 10:46 PM, shadroch said:

You don't have to win them all.

I'm of that philosophy as well. It's the long-term return percentage - not the individual sales. 

On 6/28/2022 at 12:21 AM, Tom's Hulks said:

For me. My submissions are for my own collection.  Anything I put on auction is because I replaced it with a higher grade I purchased or I had submitted for grading. I just put 19.99 with free priority mail shipping.  Some go for 19.99, some go for a few dollars more and some don't go at all.  Those that don't go at all I'll put on eBay one more time.  After that, I realize not everyone wants an Incredible Hulk's: Enigma Force number 3 in a 9.6 and I'll take them to my LCS to see if they'll give me a few bucks. If not, it goes to the book trading store unslabbed.  And I hope some young kid gets it, reads it, and becomes a fan of the Hulk. Granted. I don't think an Incredible Hulk's: Enigma Force number 3 in a 9.8 would go for a 19.99. Throwing money away? Sure. But that's me as a collector and not a dealer or eBay seller.

I had to look up "Incredible Hulk's: Enigma Force". If you want kids to become Hulk fans, I would suggest throwing the Enigma Force in the dumpster and giving the kid something less terrible. :foryou: