• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Endless amount of comics to be graded?
1 1

20 posts in this topic

How is grading comics sustainably for cash flow won’t they run out of key comics worth grading like golden,silver and Bronze Age?And what happens to the census if you brake out a comic and send it end for a grade bump then the same  two comics are on the census twice.Cgc will take this down im sure!

On 6/29/2022 at 3:29 PM, Bo1983 said:

How is grading comics sustainably for cash flow won’t they run out of key comics worth grading like golden,silver and Bronze Age?And what happens to the census if you brake out a comic and send it end for a grade bump then the same  two comics are on the census twice.Cgc will take this down im sure!

CGC doesn't limit its service to key books. Marvel alone has 4,903 titles going back 80+ years. Some people will break out a comic and re-send. I'm not really concerned about it. 

On 6/29/2022 at 6:45 PM, mysterymachine said:

CGC doesn't limit its service to key books. Marvel alone has 4,903 titles going back 80+ years. Some people will break out a comic and re-send. I'm not really concerned about it. 

So you don’t care if the census is inaccurate?

On 6/29/2022 at 6:56 PM, Bo1983 said:

Unfortunately the census has been inaccurate for years.  I think the data is fairly directional, but if you take AF15 for example, I'm sure hundreds of copies have been cracked, pressed and regraded. How many of those had the old labels sent in to have the census adjusted? Half? A quarter? 

On 6/29/2022 at 5:56 PM, Bo1983 said:

It's impossible for a census like this to be accurate over the long term. Even when there was an incentive to send back labels from cracked books, many didn't go back. At no point should the exact numbers in the census be treated as flawless. But they're "directionally correct", as we say in the world of enterprise data analytics, and they are useful for comparing slabbing availability/interest broadly between books (as well as, to various extents, things like average condition or frequency of restoration).

There's a lot of useful things to do with census data, but being assured that there are, say, 231 copies of some book in 9.2 just isn't one of them 

For some of the comic books in several sets I'll note that as of such date the CGC Census reported so many copies of X comic book. Of course, that is about as accurate as if I wrote that at the Battle of Hastings, 14, October 1066, there were exactly x number of fighting men on each side.

On 6/29/2022 at 10:10 PM, Qalyar said:

There's a lot of useful things to do with census data, but being assured that there are, say, 231 copies of some book in 9.2 just isn't one of them 

I like that you mentioned "directionally correct".  Showing how that works, we can't know that there are exactly 231 copies of some book in 9.2 when the CGC Census says there are 231 copies in 9.2... but we can say for sure there aren't 232 or more.  The direction is always "or lower" when reading the CGC Census.

On 6/29/2022 at 7:22 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

The census has been inaccurate since the moment CGC stopped giving a credit for label returns. 

One of their many moves towards higher revenue and lower customer satisfaction.

Par for the course.

On 6/29/2022 at 6:29 PM, Bo1983 said:

Cgc will take this down im sure!

Apparently not. 

CGC's business model is smart. They grade and encapsulate books. Publishers continue to produce comics every month, so there is a constant flow of potential product for grading. They'll never run out of products to grade unless the market crashes and it no longer becomes finacially feasible to pay grading/slabbing costs for submissions (granted that hasnt stopped people so far in submitting books that "arent worth grading")

Edited by miraclemet

On 6/29/2022 at 6:56 PM, Bo1983 said:

here's something to blow your mind. 

The census doesnt represent the total population of a book in collections, just the number (minus duplicates) that have been submitted. 
So even if the census was 100% accurate (on the number of graded books), it still would not be 100% representational (of the total books in collections including non-graded). So even if it was accurate, it would not be accurate (if you get what Im saying).

On 6/29/2022 at 6:29 PM, Bo1983 said:

How is grading comics sustainably for cash flow won’t they run out of key comics worth grading like golden,silver and Bronze Age? 

I used to think this, but it's apparent the hobby just starts labeling more books as "keys." Dollar bin fodder for decades featuring the first appearance of the most inane characters no one cares about are now slabbing material. And the endless variant modern covers. A large percentage of CGC's submissions are books released in the past year. So... no... they won't run out. 

Edited by Mr. Zipper
typo