• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.8 graded 9.4 only because poly bag removed
2 2

20 posts in this topic

I don't know, I just thought a few of you might find this interesting. I was checking out e-bay, and found a perfect 9.8 comic that CGC graded 9.4 only because the poly bag was removed. But, I've never seen a graded comic with the poly bag intact. Is this common?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234494011304?hash=item3698eea7a8%3Ag%3Aw38AAOSw4ARhnJkq&nma=true&si=ZF1JxQjwDDY2Dc2gl3yUB2ILh%2Bk%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

On 6/29/2022 at 9:05 PM, ninanina said:

I don't know, I just thought a few of you might find this interesting. I was checking out e-bay, and found a perfect 9.8 comic that CGC graded 9.4 only because the poly bag was removed. But, I've never seen a graded comic with the poly bag intact. Is this common?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234494011304?hash=item3698eea7a8%3Ag%3Aw38AAOSw4ARhnJkq&nma=true&si=ZF1JxQjwDDY2Dc2gl3yUB2ILh%2Bk%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

image.thumb.png.cdce61c49ca3b512e59aa7b88c97b294.png

Poly-bags are always removed before grading, if sent in bagged.  Usually better to not send it in bagged, so that you can see the actual condition of the book as the grader will see it, not having to look through plastic. 

Poly-bagged comics notoriously have a center crease right down the back from the bag seam.  I believe these can be pressed out, maybe made more difficult by having a comic that is embossed on the front.  Let's ask the expert @joeypost

On 6/30/2022 at 12:05 AM, ninanina said:

I was checking out e-bay, and found a perfect 9.8 comic that CGC graded 9.4 only because the poly bag was removed.

Is this your thought? I checked the listing and didn't see this language in the description. I thought that you were being sarcastic, but now I'm not so sure...

On 6/30/2022 at 2:00 AM, Lightning55 said:

Poly-bags are always removed before grading, if sent in bagged.  Usually better to not send it in bagged, so that you can see the actual condition of the book as the grader will see it, not having to look through plastic. 

Poly-bagged comics notoriously have a center crease right down the back from the bag seam.  I believe these can be pressed out, maybe made more difficult by having a comic that is embossed on the front.  Let's ask the expert @joeypost

The fact that it was poly bagged and is a gold foil variant lends me to believe the crease in the bag created an issue on the cover. Impossible to tell if a book is 9.8 while inside any kind of bag. 

Embossing is not what makes pressing a book like this difficult. It is the foil cover. 

Edited by joeypost

On 6/30/2022 at 6:53 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Is this your thought? I checked the listing and didn't see this language in the description. I thought that you were being sarcastic, but now I'm not so sure...

Think what was confusing him was the Key Comments. 

20220630_120630.thumb.png.ae01555218c6989bbf14d35132647a3d.png

On 6/30/2022 at 1:06 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

You can pretty clearly see the "indent back cover" indicated in the grader notes:

If you are talking about that line on the right center of the back, that's a scuff on the case that is disclosed in the listing.  The crease would be down the middle.

I don't see a poly-bag crease in the photo, but frequently you can't until you reflect light off the glossy surface of the cover page.

On 6/30/2022 at 2:38 PM, Lightning55 said:

If you are talking about that line on the right center of the back, that's a scuff on the case that is disclosed in the listing.  The crease would be down the middle.

I don't see a poly-bag crease in the photo, but frequently you can't until you reflect light off the glossy surface of the cover page.

No, I circled it in red - the grader's notes said "indent back cover" and you can see the circular-shaped indent on the back cover (which I circled in red):

955129236_s-l1600redclose.jpg.f6d8cb0a67ed36dc4a60f24201373d9f.jpg

On 6/30/2022 at 1:06 PM, OtherMan said:
On 6/29/2022 at 11:05 PM, ninanina said:

found a perfect 9.8 comic that CGC graded 9.4 only because the poly bag was removed.

Where does it say that?

As I said above , I believe he was getting confused by the "Key Comments"

20220630_161644.thumb.png.7734d3e0ebfc148d323317a9fcf1c5f6.png

On 6/30/2022 at 4:24 PM, OtherMan said:

But Key Comments have nothing to do with the grade (shrug)

I completely agree.

It is the OP that I am referring to when he posted that he thought the " Only Issue. Poly-bag removed. "  was what kept this at a 9.4.

Which clearly is not the case.

On 6/30/2022 at 3:40 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

No, I circled it in red - the grader's notes said "indent back cover" and you can see the circular-shaped indent on the back cover (which I circled in red):

Oops.  I didn't look at your photo, I had the original listing page open and checked there.  If you had mentioned that you circled something in the first post, I would have checked that.  A quick glance made me think it was the same photo.  But if I can't see a big red circle, massive fail.

Looks like it could be a circular dent, but I also see camera lens reflections in that same area.  Almost impossible NOT to have a circular lens reflection when the photo is taken straight on.

Edited by Lightning55

Plus a TON of CGC books have "Puddling" due to the case design which will have those circular indents on back/front of books. They can also be sometimes seen in photos/ scans. Here are some cases that had them so bad I sent them back. 20220609_111221.thumb.jpg.3384e58a5c5cc69ae4eb597e71f8dc85.jpg20220609_111240.thumb.jpg.ab628b143b608f7b97157f4a9b0ca5fa.jpg

On 6/30/2022 at 4:54 PM, Lightning55 said:

Oops.  I didn't look at your photo, I had the original listing page open and checked there.  If you had mentioned that you circled something in the first post, I would have checked that.  A quick glance made me think it was the same photo.  But if I can't see a big red circle, massive fail.

Looks like it could be circular dent, but I also see camera lens reflections in that same area.  Almost impossible NOT to have a circular lens reflection when the photo is taken straight on.

No worries! I did wonder about the lens thing, especially since it's right on his black pants/shadow/whatever. Could definitely be that too - I just couldn't find anything else that looked like an indent.

On 6/30/2022 at 9:06 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

No worries! I did wonder about the lens thing, especially since it's right on his black pants/shadow/whatever. Could definitely be that too - I just couldn't find anything else that looked like an indent.

Well, I think that was the point the OP was making.  He couldn't find any flaws in the photos, so thought it was downgraded due to not having a poly-bag. 

But a crease from a poly-bag is hard to see, even when holding it in your hands.  Tougher to see through an outer encasement and then an inner capsule.  Or worse, a photo of same. 

If you are a CGC grader evaluating a comic that is known to come in a poly-bag, you would certainly look closely for that evidence.  And if you see it upon close inspection, you have to account for it.

In my own opinion, I think comics that were manufactured with poly-bags should still be able to obtain 9.8, even with the crease, since it is caused by the manufacturing process, or even during transport while stacked in cases. 

To have one without a crease is not the norm, kind of rare, and maybe that's what 9.9 or 10.0 is for.  Provided zero other defects.

Edited by Lightning55

On 6/30/2022 at 9:25 PM, Lightning55 said:

Well, I think that was the point the OP was making.  He couldn't find any flaws in the photos, so thought it was downgraded due to not having a poly-bag. 

But a crease from a poly-bag is hard to see, even when holding it in your hands.  Tougher to see through an outer encasement and then an inner capsule.  Or worse, a photo of same. 

If you are a CGC grader evaluating a comic that is known to come in a poly-bag, you would certainly look closely for that evidence.  And if you see it upon close inspection, you have to account for it.

In my own opinion, I think comics that were manufactured with poly-bags should still be able to obtain 9.8, even with the crease, since it cause by the manufacturing process, or even during transport while stacked in cases. 

To have one without a crease is not the norm, kind of rare, and maybe that's what 9.9 or 10.0 is for.  Provided zero other defects.

Yeah, I agree - I have a great-looking UF4, but it's graded a 9.2. But I can't see a crease at all on that one either. That book is probably one of the more high-profile examples when it comes to polybagged books.

On 6/30/2022 at 6:53 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Sorry, I read 9.4 and "only issue poly-bag removed" . I had no idea there was a defect on the back cover. I thought they graded it a 9.4 only because the poly bag was removed...based on what I saw in the listing. :blush: