• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Summer Edition (#3) Sign-up Thread
23 23

223 posts in this topic

On 7/19/2022 at 8:27 AM, Bird said:

someone tried to organize a prize thread the first time around, it didn't seem to go well. Most went unclaimed it seemed for some time but I wasn't really paying attention.

Honestly (and this is NOT a knock on CGC Mike) I think the real issue was that it was Mike himself who suggested a supplemental prize thread the first time around, and I think that put a lot of people off.  Like, why is CGC trying to get other people to donate more prizes to their own contest....?

I know it didn't come from a cynical place from MIke's perspective, but a lot of people were cynical.  

• Administrator
On 7/19/2022 at 9:01 AM, Axelrod said:
On 7/19/2022 at 8:27 AM, Bird said:

someone tried to organize a prize thread the first time around, it didn't seem to go well. Most went unclaimed it seemed for some time but I wasn't really paying attention.

Honestly (and this is NOT a knock on CGC Mike) I think the real issue was that it was Mike himself who suggested a supplemental prize thread the first time around, and I think that put a lot of people off.  Like, why is CGC trying to get other people to donate more prizes to their own contest....?

I know it didn't come from a cynical place from MIke's perspective, but a lot of people were cynical.  

Another concern with the prize thread for the 1st contest was all of the 0 post users that might win  prizes that veteran board members donated.  For the first contest, I had marketing do an e-blast, and post about it on social media.  I did not do that with the 2nd contest sign up or this one.  My goal is to get enough regular board members to enter, and for these contests to have the feel of a board tradition contest.  

On 7/19/2022 at 10:12 AM, adampasz said:

I'll sign up if there's still room.

Ditto. However, I buy virtually all of my books already slabbed, so it would take me about ten years to use up $500 of grading credit, so I see it as something fun to do.

On 7/19/2022 at 8:16 AM, CGC Mike said:

My goal is to get enough regular board members to enter, and for these contests to have the feel of a board tradition contest.  

That's cool. Curious, was there an immediate drop in participation during the first one after the census revelation?

• Administrator
On 7/19/2022 at 12:40 PM, KirbyTown said:

That's cool. Curious, was there an immediate drop in participation during the first one after the census revelation?

The first one had 354 participants sign up in a day and a half.  There would have been a lot more, if I hadn't capped the number of participants.  200 of them dropped out of the contest.  Many never bothered to participate.  I probably spent 15 to 20 extra hours on those 200 people between sending them PM's, going through the thread to list them, and adding them to the spreadsheet.  

On 7/19/2022 at 11:51 AM, CGC Mike said:

The first one had 354 participants sign up in a day and a half.  There would have been a lot more, if I hadn't capped the number of participants.  200 of them dropped out of the contest.  Many never bothered to participate.  I probably spent 15 to 20 extra hours on those 200 people between sending them PM's, going through the thread to list them, and adding them to the spreadsheet.  

I'm glad you were able to reduce the workload for the following one, hopefully summer will be the smoothest 👍

On 7/19/2022 at 11:51 AM, CGC Mike said:

I forgot to ask...

Will entry close tomorrow regardless of meeting the 175 quota?

I love the idea of having additional competition, but if someone wasn't interested enough to sign-up before the deadline, why would they suddenly be interested afterwards? 🤷‍♂️

Edited by KirbyTown