• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interior pages detaching from cover in slab
5 5

9 posts in this topic

Has anyone else had recent problems with the interior pages detaching from the cover inside the CGC slab?  

I had 2 X-Men #1 (1992) just arrive from CGC in a 9.8 slab but the pages had clearly stated pulling away and ripping from the staple. 

Pretty sure if I send back to reslab it'll come back at a far lower grade, but this seems to be a holder problem. 

The same shipment had numerous "hairs" and glue problems on the cases. Really disappointing and makes me nervous about sending anything else. 

Looks more like an effect from too much pressure during pressing, practically "popping" the staples.  If the buffering material under the front and back covers is thick, it can force the cover pages off the staples.  And those are extra thick comics.  But they're 9.8's, right? :wink:

I've seen a lot of copies of X-Men #1 with recessed staples in the wild, unpressed and in raw condition.  Looks like a common production flaw for this book, which does show pages out the outside edge.   They typically downgrade for this, so a generous 9.8 on those books.   

On 7/4/2022 at 1:47 AM, Lightning55 said:

Looks more like an effect from too much pressure during pressing, practically "popping" the staples.  If the buffering material under the front and back covers is thick, it can force the cover pages off the staples.  And those are extra thick comics.  But they're 9.8's, right? :wink:

I don't think this was pressing, as that damage would have been very visible afterwards by the graders who then should have clocked the grade down considerably.

On 7/7/2022 at 4:52 PM, Sauce Dog said:

I don't think this was pressing, as that damage would have been very visible afterwards by the graders who then should have clocked the grade down considerably.

I agree. Having worked on many copies of this particular book, the staple and interior pages peeking out are very common.