• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sentinels of Liberty 1942 membership card... a new find!
1 1

22 posts in this topic

Yep, that's a real cool piece you've picked up!  Where did you find this?

I don't know if you've considered trying to contact any of Mr. Sanderlin's surviving children, but you might get a good story or two.  They might appreciate a personal letter about your joy in having this piece in your collection.

On 7/6/2022 at 1:25 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Yep, that's a real cool piece you've picked up!  Where did you find this?

I don't know if you've considered trying to contact any of Mr. Sanderlin's surviving children, but you might get a good story or two.  They might appreciate a personal letter about your joy in having this piece in your collection.

That's a great idea! I was thinking about it the other day, it would definitely be worth it to try!

On 7/6/2022 at 5:00 PM, shadroch said:

Be sure to ask  if they found any old comics.

None were to be found. Per the seller who was very kind, the card was purchased through a recent estate sale and was found buried in a box of ephemera along with post cards, roadmaps, theatre tickets and so on. The seller had purchased the box because of an interest in a baseball ticket that was within and this was essentially an extra item. They also informed me that the estate sale was indeed in Virgina as well, so my hunch was correct.

Edited by HistoryBuffalo

So you're the one the beat me out at the last minute! Congratulations to you. It would have gone nicely with my badge. Love you did the research on the owner. Very cool. Best wishes. There is a premium group on FB (1) RADIO PREMIUMS | Facebook that would have answers to your questions. There has been a Captain America post before. 

On 7/7/2022 at 5:14 AM, BuckFlash said:

So you're the one the beat me out at the last minute! Congratulations to you. It would have gone nicely with my badge. Love you did the research on the owner. Very cool. Best wishes. There is a premium group on FB (1) RADIO PREMIUMS | Facebook that would have answers to your questions. There has been a Captain America post before. 

@BuckFlash

Howdy Buck. Welcome to the boards. Good to see another premium collector here. Check out my recent post in the Fawcett thread in Gold. You might also enjoy my thread “Son of my 50 year junk Obsecession”  also in Gold. Feel free to post or talk about premiums there.

Thanks for the FB link. I recognized a lot of old names I haven’t heard from in a while. I still run into John Gothold from time to time. Great guy.

I have hesitated to join FB for years but actually might have to consider it. Here is a recent picture with John on the right, EC God Grant Geissman on the left, and my long time comic buddy John Koukisakis in the middle. Lot of knowledge and history in those brains! 

1DE9FA56-6FBC-4764-AFC7-D044CEFFC4DD.jpeg

I have a new name and membership number to add to my list.  I've been hunting down names and numbers for several years now.  This is the highest numbered card that I've come across thus far.

I also note the offset printing of the membership number.  I've never seen that before.

As for the "Forty" - this could have been done post facto...for a litany of reasons.

That's awfully neat pencilmanship for a 10-11 year old.  That could have been signed by mom...

Great acquisition and great story too.  He must have prized it if he kept it for 80 odd years...

Edited by pemart1966

On 7/7/2022 at 6:06 PM, pemart1966 said:

I have a new name and membership number to add to my list.  I've been hunting down names and numbers for several years now.  This is the highest numbered card that I've come across thus far.

I also not the offset printing of the membership number.  I've never seen that before.

As for the "Forty" - this could have been done post facto...for a litany of reasons.

That's awfully neat pencilmanship for a 10-11 year old.  That could have been signed by mom...

Great acquisition and great story too.  He must have prized it if he kept it for 80 odd years...

Thanks! Glad there’s a new one that you can add to the list. There is a higher numbered card though, I had come across the information for a past eBay listing on worthpoint in which a card sold that belonged to a Lee Richards and is numbered 73445.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/extremely-captain-america-1941-2026455525

On 7/8/2022 at 5:49 PM, HistoryBuffalo said:

Thanks! Glad there’s a new one that you can add to the list. There is a higher numbered card though, I had come across the information for a past eBay listing on worthpoint in which a card sold that belonged to a Lee Richards and is numbered 73445.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/extremely-captain-america-1941-2026455525

Terrific!  Thanks for posting this.  Now I need to find some with less than 5 digits...

On 7/7/2022 at 6:06 PM, pemart1966 said:

I also not the offset printing of the membership number.  I've never seen that before.

I’ve seen a few that are a little offset but no other with the degree of severity as the in last 9 in the membership number on my card.

Edited by HistoryBuffalo

On 7/9/2022 at 7:38 PM, HistoryBuffalo said:

Haven’t seen any that low… 12327 is the lowest I could find.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-captain-america-club-membership-card

Thanks!  I must really be slipping.  This is another new one on me.  That's 3 in a row.  :boo:  I obviously have to start haunting worthpoint.  

On 7/9/2022 at 5:51 PM, pemart1966 said:

Thanks!  I must really be slipping.  This is another new one on me.  That's 3 in a row.  :boo:  I obviously have to start haunting worthpoint.  

How many total memberships have you been able to record? I’d be really interested in seeing your list!

On 7/9/2022 at 6:40 PM, HistoryBuffalo said:

I’ve seen a few that are a little offset but no other with the degree of severity as the in last 9 in the membership number on my card.

Having checked out the link with the earliest known card the number is blue with a "No." prefix; that changed to red dropping the prefix (at least by 34648 which is the card in my collection).  

On 7/9/2022 at 9:46 PM, HistoryBuffalo said:

How many total memberships have you been able to record? I’d be really interested in seeing your list!

If I were betting on this, my money would be on Martin Goodman starting the numbering at 10,000 so it that the first kids joining would feel like their dimes were well spent and they were part of a very big club.  I doubt there was ever a master list of kids who joined, but that would be an awesome discovery if one did exist.

PS: Such a cool collectible; big congrats on obtaining one of these rare membership cards! :applause:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
addendum, & ale, as usual!