• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is an X-Men 1 CGC 3.5 a Smart Buy at $10k?
2 2

85 posts in this topic

On 7/8/2022 at 11:28 PM, alexgross.com said:

@Hey Kids, Comics! i sold the book on feebay that was on gpa for a minute, then disappeared, which you mentioned. it's a long story, but there were no shenanigans. it sold for 11.6k privately. i'd say 10k is a good deal for this book, though mine had owwp which i do think are more desirable and my book also presented extremely well for the grade. 

Appreciate the clarification regarding that sale. (thumbsu

Personally, I think the OPs 10k could go significantly further than this 3.5 COW copy with a little patience.2c

On 7/8/2022 at 9:12 PM, silverseeker said:

Seems like a good deal to me...I would be a bit worried about the C/OW pages potentially impacting a future resale though.

I'm not sure how many people avoid C/OW pages on big keys like this book, but it is something to consider...maybe some other folks can weigh in on this?

It presents very nicely for a 3.5!

I think the PQ is a significant issue for a long-term hold.   If I’m going to sit on a copy, it needs to have white pages.

On 7/8/2022 at 11:27 PM, Albert Thurgood said:

Put it this way, it's much better value than the 2.5 copy I paid $12k for this time last year. As I have bragged before, my super-power is buying at the peak.

Hey at least you bought high on a book that's not in the MCU yet! It will definitely go up again.  I foolishly bought high on JIM 83 last May and it's only going down down down 😢

I did get my X-Men 1 in 2020 before the spike at least and it ended up grading as a 3.0 and I only paid $2300 at the time.  So I guess I accidentally did something right. 

On 7/8/2022 at 10:56 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I think the PQ is a significant issue for a long-term hold.   If I’m going to sit on a copy, it needs to have white pages.

X-Men 1 is one of those books that frequently pops up with COW pages, I don’t think that will be too much of a turn off to a potential buyer.

On 7/9/2022 at 3:28 PM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

All of this discussion turned out to be irrelevant. The guy showed up to the show with the book in hand, showed it to me, I put 10 grand on the table and then he got cold feet. No sale.

Dang 😂

Out of curiosity…was the book offered to you for 10k with the deal to be closed prior to the show or was there an ongoing negotiation up until the show?

Edited by Funnybooks

I would do it. It’s an X-Men 1. It presents well, no chipping, decent colors, no label notes, and a solid book overall. Even if prices fell further, I do believe they will come back up and this book will stay strong.

We also have to take the Marvel Machine into account and they are just starting to touch X-Men. That being said, I would also take a look at what other big silver keys at this price point (TOS, JIM, etc.) you could get now and make a decision. Good luck! 

On 7/9/2022 at 4:28 PM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

All of this discussion turned out to be irrelevant. The guy showed up to the show with the book in hand, showed it to me, I put 10 grand on the table and then he got cold feet. No sale.

10 grand on the table, and cold feet!!! That’s a rarity. Usually money talks! Well, you know there are always other fish in the sea! 

On 7/8/2022 at 7:38 PM, mycomicshop said:

Add me to the "it's a no brainer" camp.

Medium-long term hold like you said? It's a good price.

Super quick resale right now for an easy profit? It's a good price.

Shortish term hold til later this year? Nobody knows where prices will be in a few months but you say that's not your period anyway. I'm skeptical it would drop enough that you'd regret your purchase.

cut into pages and sell separately?  Good price.

On 7/9/2022 at 1:28 PM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

that's a bummer. sorry to hear it. going forwards, i suggest you look for one with better page quality. though some here don't care about cream pages, i know many SA collectors like myself, who will never buy a graded SA book with cream or worse page quality. there are so many xmen1 books around, it's not hard to find off white pages or better. of course in this case it was really the price that was so attractive, not the page quality.