• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is a collector of video games who doesn't play them the same as a collector comics who doesn't read them?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Ran into a person who collects video games but doesn't play them and initially thought, well that's dumb why would you have a sealed copy of xyz that you have no interest in playing.   Then I realized I was being super hypocritical, as I try not to pass judgement on why people collect comics.

Just curious of peoples thoughts.

Edited by BlackOut21

Most SA books are fairly unreadable now.   

A. The stories have dated.

B. The more recent comic book writers, stood on the shoulders the SA writers, and kept progressing the genre.    They've far exceeded the art well past the efforts of the SA.

To answer your question, a collector is a collector regardless of what it is they collect (Coins, Stamps, Buttons, Bottles, Posters, Signs, Video Games, etc.). If you collect, want to talk about the items with others, are interested in the history behind the items, everything is organized (yes I know not everybody is organized, it makes my OCD Shudder). I have lots of action figures that are still packaged and I have not sat down and read my comics in 15 years, however, I am still a collector and interested in the hobby. My Sister gave me the Marvel Monopoly Collectors Edition for Christmas back in 1999. After I unwrapped the gift she said, "Lets open it and play" and my reaction was...:whatthe:, "We are not opening this, it is a collectible" and to this day it is still in the factory wrapping.

Just keep in mind, there is a fine line between collecting and hoarding.

C4-Marvel Comics Monopoly.JPG

On 7/15/2022 at 12:44 PM, fishbone said:

I'd venture to say that the more you do not touch, use, play with an item, the more you are a collector of said item

True. What about classic cars that are stored in garages or barns just sitting there and not ever driven (I’m thinking American Pickers). Those are owned by collectors (thumbsu

On 7/16/2022 at 3:11 PM, Primetime said:

True. What about classic cars that are stored in garages or barns just sitting there and not ever driven (I’m thinking American Pickers). Those are owned by collectors (thumbsu

A lot of the cars on American Pickers don't run.  lol

On 7/15/2022 at 3:44 PM, fishbone said:

I'd venture to say that the more you do not touch, use, play with an item, the more you are a collector of said item

That depends upon how you define "collection".  

To me a collection is something that's constantly changing.  You're adding to it (trade or purchase) and/or you're subtracting from it (sale or trade).  If you stop doing either of these things you have an accumulation.

On 7/13/2022 at 11:51 PM, Microchip said:

Most SA books are fairly unreadable now.   

A. The stories have dated.

B. The more recent comic book writers, stood on the shoulders the SA writers, and kept progressing the genre.    They've far exceeded the art well past the efforts of the SA.

You're comparing apples to oranges here...

Today, you're reading SA books through adult eyes.  SA books were not aimed at adult audiences.  They were aimed at kids between 7-13 years of age.  So of course when you read them today, they seem dated and unreadable.  If you had read them as an adult in the 60s, you would no doubt have said that they were unreadable.

Today's comics, for the most part, are aimed at fanboys/girls.  Their content is aimed at an older audience.  So I think any comparisons between comics of the Silver Age and today are not really valid.

On 7/8/2022 at 8:04 PM, BlackOut21 said:

Ran into a person who collects video games but doesn't play them and initially thought, well that's dumb why would you have a sealed copy of xyz that you have no interest in playing.   Then I realized I was being super hypocritical, as I try not to pass judgement on why people collect comics.

Just curious of peoples thoughts.

I've collected comics I haven't read, video games I haven't played, art I've never hung up on the wall.

Very few people start out collecting games they haven't played, or comics they haven't read.   But as we start learning more about a given subject matter, we can become interested for reasons that become less and less about the commercially intended purpose of the item.     As we learn more, we can become interested in the Frazetta Famous Funnies covers solely for their covers, or we can become interested in the quasi unplayable Koei games solely for the Noriyoshi Ohrai covers (equally spectacular covers btw!).   We can become interested in a first appearance of a comic character even if the first story isn't that great, or the first appearance of a video game character, even if the first game isn't that great.     

In other words, we can become interested for all sorts of reasons that aren't the primary intended use of the product.      The further down the collecting path we get, the less important the initial intended use becomes.   

Edited by Bronty