• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No USPS Registered Mail Option
4 4

111 posts in this topic

On 7/11/2022 at 8:52 PM, WernerVonDoom said:

Yeah we know about renting a PO Box and the website. I guess you don't have details like can CGC use click and ship if the have my info? Do I need a business account? Does it cost money to get a business account? What kind of info does CGC need to set this up?

I'm not putting you on the spot - these questions are for everyone.

I know for UPS all they needed was my account number.

Prior to July 5th, I sent in a MFT submission where I requested Fed Ex Ground (it's not so bad where I live).  Once it hit my Submission Tracking page, I checked my CC account and noticed I was overcharged based on what was documented on the packing slip.  I spoke to someone in customer service at the time and they said the overcharge was due to my return shipping method being changed to USPS Registered Mail.  The rep looked at the packing slip and was puzzled as well.  After some finagling, she was able to get it changed back to Fed Ex Ground and issued a credit back to my CC.   Well today, my submission shipped ... it was shipped out USPS Registered Mail.  Maddening.

On 7/11/2022 at 8:13 PM, trademarkcomics said:

This is hilarious. I requested FedEx Ground on a less expensive 3 issue lot I sent in because I didn't want to wait a month for it to get back to me and I just notice it got shipped USPS Registered.

You better check your CC statement. I just read a post by another member who was overcharged by CGC because they, for some unknown reason, switched return shipping to USPS, even though he had requested FedEx.

I have shipped many 5 figure collectibles over my life using USPS Registered Mail.  It's under lock and key end-to-end and the insurance is crazy cheap as a result.  Like $30 to insure $20,000.  I'm not sending as high end stuff as often as in the past so FedEx should work for me but it you want the most trustworthy way, it's Registered mail. I even had a package go dark for a couple weeks registered once and once notified it stared moving the same day.   I will definitely use it to ship books over $1K to CGC from my end.   

On 7/11/2022 at 11:50 AM, D84 said:

I get that, but since Blackstone bought CGC, the company has been going downhill fast in terms of service.

You want it to change? Vote with your dollars. If everyone who is upset about the way the company is going stopped throwing money at them, Blackstone will take notice.

Enough people do this, Blackstone will either sell CGC or change they way they do things. Either outcome is an improvement. 

I don't see how that is possible - it's not us little guys fueling CGC, it's the high volume submitters.  I actually think they are doing pretty well.  TATs are WAY down in the past few months and they are doing innovative things like free grader notes and QR codes.  I'm not too happy about this shipping arrangement but it's not such a disaster to make me walk.

On 7/12/2022 at 9:22 PM, Lightning55 said:

Innovative???  All they did was copy their competitor who has had these features for YEARS.  You are praising them for being S-L-O-W to mimic other's innovations.

And this is ONLY after tons of push back from the community when CGC announced that they decided to stop putting notes on slab labels anymore. 

And as far as TATs go, moderns have improved but that's about it. They only REALLY care about their commercial customers at this point. And it will be interesting to see how their volume changes now that the market for random slabbed non-key moderns is tanking. 

So, I stopped subbing a year or so ago, when TAT's and QC seemed to be out of control. Recent announcements of the new QC manager (or whatever the title is), as well as finally offering free grading notes, etc had me hopeful about subbing again, maybe even later this year.

But this has be right back in the no-sub group. Although my hassles with FedEx pale in comparison to the horror stories I've read here over the years, they are sufficient that I will never use them, for anything, ever, never, ner-ver.

So...seems like I'm sticking with slabs from CLink and raws from my local shops! 

A couple of points...

There is absolutely no way CGC would have made this decision unless it was going to put money in their pockets. I don't believe any consideration at all was given to what their customers want.

Also, I think @Nic8612is correct. "They only REALLY care about their commercial customers at this point."

Hold on - we can still choose return shipping via USPS, right?  Without a PO Box? 

Every time I've had a company ship via FedEx there has been an issue.  One company shipped something, and I didn't get it.  Tracking showed it was delivered to a similar street address in the next town over.  Company re-shipped.  Didn't receive.  Requested a THIRD shipment of the same item.  This time they used UPS and I got it.  

I had a COUCH delivered to my house via FedEx that was supposed to go to another address two streets over.  Not like I could take the package to the correct address myself, like I had to do with vitamin shipments that arrived on my doorstep via FedEx that weren't for me.  I called FedEx and they said they would remove the couch from my driveway and bring it to the correct address within 2 days.  They never came, and it poured rain those two days.  The rightful owner drove by our house on day 3 and chewed us out for having their furniture(?!).  

Meanwhile, I have NEVER had anything get lost via USPS.  And Registered is not only secure, but CHEAP when you take into account insurance for thousands of dollars. 

FedEx is run by clowns.  Please tell me I can still use USPS.  I would never in my life trust collectibles in the hands of FedEx.  EVER.   

On 7/12/2022 at 8:22 PM, Lightning55 said:

Innovative???  All they did was copy their competitor who has had these features for YEARS.  You are praising them for being S-L-O-W to mimic other's innovations.

Who else has QR codes that can instantly pull up grader notes?  Imaging being in a comic shop.  One click - boom - you know exactly why the book graded the way it did.  Sounds pretty innovative to me.

On 7/13/2022 at 6:48 PM, BladeTX said:

Who else has QR codes that can instantly pull up grader notes?  Imaging being in a comic shop.  One click - boom - you know exactly why the book graded the way it did.  Sounds pretty innovative to me.

It was innovative when

Spoiler

CBCS

did it in 2016.

On 7/11/2022 at 12:47 AM, WernerVonDoom said:

"CGC has found FedEx to be the fastest and most reliable service" Faster? Maybe yes maybe no.  Reliable? Nothing is more reliable than USPS registered. Employees get fired if these go missing. Every step of the way is signed for.

Sure FedEx insures for $100k, but would you rather have your books or fight for a claim.

This is what "left with individual" looks like on my route:

image.thumb.jpeg.5336292620283a12015166bba570edce.jpeg