• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Popular Things You Have No Interest In (Ignore Value)
2 2

52 posts in this topic

Are there things that are super popular you just aren't interested in? Take value out of the equation completely assume everything is worthless. Just think about it from a pure enjoyment you'd get from the art perspective.

Here are a few of mine.

1. McSpidey

2. Anything drawn by Frank Miller

3. Watchmen

4. Anything drawn by Rob Liefeld

5. Anything drawn by Erik Larsen

These are all fine but I don't hold them in as a high as regard as most.

Old Marvel Masters, new Marvel artists drawing Marvel characters, almost any Marvel characters. 

Cluttered pages—detail over design.

Toth. I have yet to see something he’s done that I would want in my collection. Same with Gil Kane, but I still have hope for him.

Edited by Rick2you2

99% of "popular" comics published after 1972. The stuff I do like from the last 50 years is fairly esoteric and much it not super-popular, and I have no real interested in slab copies of any of that. Gold through early bronze, while much of it not really that readable, does have a cool factor that makes them still appealing to me even if I don't collect most books from that era. 

On 7/11/2022 at 2:35 PM, kbmcvay said:

Are there things that are super popular you just aren't interested in? Take value out of the equation completely assume everything is worthless. Just think about it from a pure enjoyment you'd get from the art perspective.

Here are a few of mine.

1. McSpidey

2. Anything drawn by Frank Miller

3. Watchmen

4. Anything drawn by Rob Liefeld

5. Anything drawn by Erik Larsen

These are all fine but I don't hold them in as a high as regard as most.

Except for his Daredevil run, totally agree.  Most of his later stuff is worse then #4s.

On 7/11/2022 at 11:17 PM, s-man said:

Except for his Daredevil run, totally agree.  Most of his later stuff is worse then #4s.

I enjoyed reading the DD run when it came out, and Miller’s layouts were inspired, but I wondered then and still cannot help wondering how much better it would have looked under a less heavy-handed inker than Klaus Janson. It didn’t have to be Al Williamson or Joe Sinnott, just a solid Marvel house style guy e.g. Joe Rubinstein, Bob Wiacek, Dan Green etc. … Would love to see alternate takes on some of that if copies of pencils still exist.

On 7/12/2022 at 4:46 AM, Readcomix said:

I enjoyed reading the DD run when it came out, and Miller’s layouts were inspired, but I wondered then and still cannot help wondering how much better it would have looked under a less heavy-handed inker than Klaus Janson. It didn’t have to be Al Williamson or Joe Sinnott, just a solid Marvel house style guy e.g. Joe Rubinstein, Bob Wiacek, Dan Green etc. … Would love to see alternate takes on some of that if copies of pencils still exist.

Rubinstein inked most of Daredevil #163 after a couple of Janson pages, and it looked pretty good.  What If #35 included a couple of pages that reprised layouts from DD #181, now inked by Terry Austin, but I didn't think they were an improvement.  I don't think Bob Wiacek's inking got good until after Miller's DD run had ended, and I didn't rate their collaboration on Marvel Team-Up #100.

Edited by Chaykin Stevens