• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I feel like I got taken
2 2

76 posts in this topic

Also impossible to tell anything from those pics...Sure they look solid in the pic, but...Yeah, no way can grade anything from that.

Maybe for your next sub, do a scan of front and back covers and post here in the Spare a Grade thread. Boardies may be able to help you see something you may have missed prior to sending to CGC.

Edited by Wall-Crawler

On 7/11/2022 at 9:22 PM, thehumantorch said:

My partner and I hit about 90% accurate on CA to MA books and rarely off by less than one grade up or down.

I expect you'll be competitive in the summer grading contest, then...

On 7/11/2022 at 8:07 PM, nino70 said:

it’s like they didn’t even bother re-grading the books I don’t even think they got pressed or cleaned

Hi OP,

CGC published notes on two of your books and pressing wouldn't have fixed the defects mentioned:

A4C918CE-7AE6-49CA-9B4F-6C325F8765DC.jpeg.782364925439a290957562454d5cf878.jpeg69527D98-E47F-4D2D-92F6-06CB470E2FB5.jpeg.fcc18efca884ed98da687c5fffc82087.jpegD065F27B-4E4D-4DF3-817D-DD21185F9D89.jpeg.ab203e58db5ffd2e95c0d8f40989cfd2.jpeg710CDD67-1E5B-46B5-AB30-A9F3847F2787.jpeg.a40acbc67ec44b2ca14b943ff25acabe.jpeg

I hope this helps, certification lookup is now publicly accessible and you can check at any time:

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/

@KirbyTown Dang, just beat me to it :)

Spawn 250: 9.6 / Cert#: 3835773001 / no grader notes

Spawn 224: 9.6 / Cert#: 3893315009 / no grader notes

Spawn 150: 9.6 / Cert#: 3835773005 / very small slice bottom spine

Spawn 300: 9.4 / Cert#: 3797562002 / light scuffing to cover

Spawn 301: 9.4 / Cert#: 3835773012 / no grader notes

Spawn 227: 9.0 / Cert#: 3835773002 / no grader notes

A couple things here: Of the 6 books you showed the cert # for, 4 of them have no grader notes.  That is a major part of the problem with CGC.  Neither the 9.6 with a small slice nor the 9.4 with light scuffing will improve with a C&P, hopefully those didn’t go for the C&P. The other (2) 9.6’s, without grader notes, are just not good candidates for a C&P unless you can find a small stain, dirt, slight spine roll, cover that isn’t flat, etc. that could be improved.  In my limited experience, I’m generally seeing that a C&P is best utilized for books below 9.0 unless you can find something that may be improved.  You didn’t mention if you utilized the prescreening service for the initial grading? I’ve read about people submitting books for prescreening for 9.8’s multiple times till they get a grader that gives it a 9.8… sadly, this is still a very subjective field…

That is where these boards are great.  Take a high-res pic of your book and ask before submitting if there is something a C&P would help.  There are a-lot of really good graders here that enjoy helping people grade their books.

Finally, try another service.  Either for grading or pressing.  I highly recommend a third party that does C&P.  They should be able to tell you if the book is good candidate or not. If not, find someone else.  If your unhappy with the service you are receiving, send a couple books out to someone else and see if you like their service.  For me personally, I don’t limit myself to just CGC.  It’s the very long wait time and lack of grader notes.

On 7/12/2022 at 9:08 AM, jsilverjanet said:

cgc modern grading has been horribly inconsistent

There's that as well. I see 9.8 on a label, and my thought is it's probably objectively at least a 9.4, but would require careful observation to see if it's truly differentiated from the average 9.6 or for that matter any 9.9 copies of the same book, but then I'm biased, with an old school attitude that CGC has a least one too many grades between 9.4 and 10.

Pressing is not a miracle panacea.  My opinion is only a subset of books benefit in terms of grading bump from pressing.  I'm sure Joey can go into details.   The key is knowing what may or may not be a pressing candidate.

As for CGC's lack of quality control or rather having no quality control; this is what happens when a greedy cooperation has no true competition. They will do away with anything to add a few pennies to their bottom line.  Other than strong completion only losing business will wake them up and even then probably not given the amount of Stockholm syndrome-d apologists even on this board.

Edited by MAR1979

On 7/12/2022 at 10:28 AM, rjpb said:

I'm biased, with an old school attitude that CGC has a least one too many grades between 9.4 and 10.

^^

On 7/12/2022 at 1:27 PM, grendelbo said:

^^

Someone really needs to explain to me why a 9.8 can go for 33-50% more than a 9.6, and you'd have to squint at the books and still be guessing why one was "better" than another. I would be willing to trade anyone my 9.8 for a 9.6 plus whatever the surcharge for 0.2 points (that may or may not be arbitrary) costs.

On 7/12/2022 at 12:36 PM, scburdet said:

Someone really needs to explain to me why a 9.8 can go for 33-50% more than a 9.6, and you'd have to squint at the books and still be guessing why one was "better" than another. I would be willing to trade anyone my 9.8 for a 9.6 plus whatever the surcharge for 0.2 points (that may or may not be arbitrary) costs.

Many people are driven to own "the best" of whatever they're interested in. In this case, the perceived scarcity of a 9.8 relative to lower grades is the driver of the demand. Whether that scarcity is manufactured is of course up for debate...

On 7/12/2022 at 1:36 PM, scburdet said:

On 7/12/2022 at 2:17 PM, KirbyTown said:

Many people are driven to own "the best" of whatever they're interested in. In this case, the perceived scarcity of a 9.8 relative to lower grades is the driver of the demand. Whether that scarcity is manufactured is of course up for debate...

Therein lies the biggest problem with CGC not providing grader notes, on all dang books... I've seen countless posts in my very short time researching this stuff to wonder if its basically a clown convention over there these days...

On 7/12/2022 at 1:36 PM, scburdet said:

I've seen Huge differences between weak 9.6's and strong 9.8's.  But yeah a strong 9.6 compared to a weak 9.8 might be nothing more than the graders mood.

The ol' chestnut of "buy the book not the slab label" applies!

Edited by MAR1979

On 7/12/2022 at 1:38 PM, BSC249 said:

Therein lies the biggest problem with CGC not providing grader notes, on all dang books

The other place provides notes on every single book without fail unless it's a 9.8. Having that information enabled me to study and get up to date with slab grading. Of course when you transfer those standards to CGC it unravels pretty quickly, and that's a benefit toward maximizing profit. The other place is a losing game for re-sell, not only because of the accurate grading but because most buyers don't want it; the younger crowd shuns it. . . and this reply possibly has little to do with your comment.

Edited by KirbyTown

On 7/12/2022 at 2:38 PM, BSC249 said:

Therein lies the biggest problem with CGC not providing grader notes, on all dang books... I've seen countless posts in my very short time researching this stuff to wonder if its basically a clown convention over there these days...

I am not a defender or detractor of how they operate, but it kind of makes sense that the highest grades wouldn't necessarily have grader notes. There are multiple graders looking at the same item, and making a note implies consensus across all those eyes. If there's a difference of opinion about the nature of a defect, it's likely "safest" to not delineate that. I suspect this is the case for many areas where people desire more transparency. If they give too much information, they just open the floodgates to customers objecting to what often amounts as a judgement call. We can all agree what a crease is, but if there's a small spot on a spine, does that constitute a manufacturing defect or something that's damage? Lots things being decided on the margins.