• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazon Prime's FALLOUT series starring Walton Goggins (4/12/24)
2 2

93 posts in this topic

On 4/6/2024 at 8:35 PM, kimik said:

@thehumantorch Are you getting more or less excited as new footage drops? As a Fallout OG and gaming grand master, I am curious to hear your take.

Still waiting for the free PS5 remastered update for Fallout 4.

A Painstakingly Authentic Take on a Beloved Universe

The Fallout TV show from Prime Video tells a wholly original story, but you'll often forget that while watching if you're a fan of the games. That's not because its story lacks impact or creativity but because the show's creators have done such an impeccable job fleshing out the world of Fallout that it feels like the characters are treading stories and quests you've experienced yourself in one way or another. By staying faithful enough to the source material to earn any liberties it takes with the world of Fallout, the show has once again raised the bar for what a video game adaptation can look like.

But even where the Fallout show slips on occasion with an unneeded kiss or a questionable encounter, time and time again, I kept marveling at how authentic the world felt. The original story told in Fallout is paramount to this trait since it lets us focus on the characters, world, and narrative rather than getting hung up on shot-for-shot remakes of key moments. Fallout is technically canon, according to Bethesda's Todd Howard, so it'll be under the microscope for nitpicking and "well actually" moments, but even when the show takes leaps to expand on the world, it always feels deserved.

Rating: 4.5/5

I'm into the third ep and so far..

Spoiler

I don't like the whole Maximus storyline.  No explanation on why they were beating the carp out of him in the beginning.  His acting during the interrogation was terrible, made it seem like he was guilty.  Why did they make him a squire?  Then he takes an oath and is super into being part of the brotherhood, and he lets the knight die, making him instantly unlikable as a character.  And making the reason why he lets him die as the knight's bluffing about him being strung up is stupid.  Then he contemplated killing the new squire when he arrived and nearly did, again not a likable character.

And then there is Lucy, who's smiley everything is going to be okay and totally calm attitude belies her upbringing in the vault.  She has yet to show any true emotion, fear or even disgust like when she chops the dudes head off.  She passed a two headed cow in the street and didn't even look twice!! :makepoint:

I'll keep watching because they did the landscape pretty well and I like The Ghoul.

Ok. I finished the show.

Spoiler

Let me start by saying I did enjoy it and it had some nostalgic inclusions as well as a lot of potential. 

I do hope they continue Fallout (hopefully with that last bit [New Vegas])

That said now some critics.  As already mentioned didn't really like their choice for the "lead actress and actor" both their skill at acting and believability. They were also not as relatable. 

The sets and scenery were done well and this was one of the better aspects (as it was with the game) Although some of the doors , specifically the vault door . The mechanism for moving and latching could have been better

The soundtrack was done well in line with the game and a few originals that blended well . 

The "power armor " was mostly game correct,  although they probably could have just used the graphics from some of the games and it would have been better.  They all looked too clean and reminiscent of amateur cosplay . Didn't really present as metal. No rusted used or immobilized pieces or frames? Raider version?

The used several good weapons throughout the show, but it really lacks here again as they had soon many choices and easily could have spiced this up with more variety.  No real use of any energy weapons ,  no railway rifle,  and no mini nuke??

Another semi let down, there just wasn't as much selling the imminent dangers.  They easily could have doubled the amount of "encounters" both main and background  so many irradiated creatures and beings they missed the mark. Radstag? More actual ferral gouls, reavers, glowing ones, (They were near a ground zero and none?) Biggest one was only shown in skull form. Deathclaw..

And would it really have hurt to toss in some use of VATS?

It felt more like a show about one of the random side quest that I would play through once to see all the dialog and story "tie ins" , but probably wouldn't revisit. 

Although I am sure I will probably watch this again a (few times) just to see other "Easter eggs " or things I may have missed . 

This is just my initial thoughts (and impressions)on the show from my first binge watch. 

Never played the game - still a good watch?

Up to Episode 2. Wildly entertaining up to this point.

I never played the game. So no reference to to compare relevance to source material.

On 4/11/2024 at 5:53 PM, Bosco685 said:

I never played the game. So no reference to to compare relevance to source material.

I would wait until you finish to read my spoiler above, but I make many comparisons. 

On 4/14/2024 at 6:46 PM, The Brain said:

Finished.

Awesome.

I had a really good time following this story. Though the content could be brutal at times.

Good on the showrunners not pulling back. Though the producer is not pleased it all dropped into one binge pile.