• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's AVENGERS: DOOMSDAY directed by the Russo brothers (2026)
11 11

472 posts in this topic

Directors Joe and Anthony Russo — who helmed four films in the MCU, including 2019’s “Avengers: Endgame” — are uniting with Marvel Studios once again to helm the next superhero team-up feature. On Saturday evening, they made their return official by taking the stage at San Diego Comic-Con’s Hall H to thunderous applause.

“When we directed ‘Avengers: Endgame,’ we really believed it was the end for us in the Marvel Cinematic Universe,” said Joe Russo to the crowd. “That four-movie run was incredible, and it left us creatively spent.” However, in the time since, the duo found a “very special story” that convinced them to come back. In fact, “it’s the biggest story that Marvel comics ever told. It’s the reason that Anthony and I are standing up here.” And that film is “Avengers: Secret Wars.”

The Russo brothers’ independent studio, AGBO, is co-producing the film in a rare partnership with Marvel. Stephen McFeely, who co-wrote all four of the Russos’ Marvel films (including “Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” “Captain America: Civil War” and “Avengers: Infinity War”), is taking over script duties on both “Doomsday” and “Secret Wars.” He takes over from Michael Waldron (“Loki”), who was originally tasked with writing the script to “The Kang Dynasty” and “Secret Wars.”

The Russo brothers step in for Destin Daniel Cretton, who left “Kang Dynasty” in November 2023 to focus on other Marvel projects on his docket, including a prospective sequel to his 2021 film “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.”

On 7/28/2024 at 10:59 AM, drotto said:

And Marvel pivots.  Sorry if that is mean to say, but after 4 years looking few different stars and new faces, they go back to the people who have made them billions. 

Yeah, that was inevitable when nothing really took hold after End Game in terms of launching a new chapter of the MCU that fans were excited about. 

On 7/28/2024 at 11:34 AM, MattTheDuck said:

I can see the "New Avengers" team they've been building being defeated by Doom in this movie, so we can get "Avengers: Endgame 2"

I prefer "Avengers 2: More Avengerer"

It depends on what storyline they're actually doing. If they're doing the 2015 Secret Wars, it's Victor (God Emperor Doom). If it's Earth 11029, it's Stark as Doom.

If it's the Beyonder stuff, who knows? Either could work. The Beyonder could see Tony in everyone's minds when he pulls everyone to Battleworld but because he's dead in Earth 616 the Beyonder could pull him from Earth 11029 instead.

Not gonna lie...I was a bit disappointed when the RDJ announcement was made.  I wanted the original Fantastic Four Victor Von Doom in the MCU.

However, knowing the Russo Brothers are at the helm makes this a "I have faith in them" wait and see situation.

***Plus it's been a while since I've been this level of hype for future MCU movies