• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SDCC 2022 Report or How My Feet Hurt
2 2

88 posts in this topic

On 7/26/2022 at 7:38 PM, fastballspecial said:

Ive thought about going for years. Now that I can afford to, I really dont think I want too.
It doesn't seem to be the kind of comic book show I want to go to anymore.

Honestly it seems more an entertainment con with some comic book dealers. 

I think all stick to my smaller shows and one big one like Chicago or STL every year or so.

My first San Diego con was in 1989. Very different in those days then now. Yes, it is has been for many years now more of a pop culture event and less a comic con. 

Great report and having never been to one, I too am living vicariously.  I'm only interested in older comics so a lot (figurines, moderns, sketching, funkos, etc.) would be wasted on me, though I confess I always wanted to go and meet Stan Lee as I thought (maybe mistakenly) he was a fixture.  I also assume dealer's setup/rental fees to be higher than any other con, so I'd hazard (again, maybe mistakenly) that they'd have to raise their book prices accordingly.

On 7/27/2022 at 3:04 PM, SeniorSurfer said:

Great report and having never been to one, I too am living vicariously.  I'm only interested in older comics so a lot (figurines, moderns, sketching, funkos, etc.) would be wasted on me, though I confess I always wanted to go and meet Stan Lee as I thought (maybe mistakenly) he was a fixture.  I also assume dealer's setup/rental fees to be higher than any other con, so I'd hazard (again, maybe mistakenly) that they'd have to raise their book prices accordingly.

I’m stunned by some of the prices that have been shown here, especially those gory pre-Code horror covers.

Sticker shock, vicariously, at a safer distance. In person, I’d be totally crushed.

Great report! This show's been on my bucket list forever...one year I'll finally take the plunge and go (or at least, make the attempt to get tickets).

Did anyone else see the sand sculptures (which were great!) and expect a Sandman marketing thing? Missed opportunity!