• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you list anything on CAF as historic...
1 1

108 posts in this topic

On 7/30/2022 at 1:22 PM, thethedew said:

Marcus never, ever has a negative thing to say.  The hobby needs more like him.

With that in mind, I note that Race now appears to be... gone.

Oh my...you're right. All his posts are gone.

EDIT: Just checked, account has been deleted. 

Edited by comix4fun

On 7/29/2022 at 10:28 PM, Xatari said:

I’m sorry you felt you needed to pull your art down. That is the real shame as sharing art is what brings our community together.

We all have different experiences with the OA hobby.  Who knows what terrible, awful, horrendous indignities he's suffered to bring him to this pass.  

:eyeroll:

Edited by thethedew

On 7/30/2022 at 2:22 PM, thethedew said:

Agreed! I wish more people commented and liked posted art, or maybe I just have crappy taste with my collection haha. 

On 7/29/2022 at 9:47 PM, Will_K said:

I didn't intend to shame you.  I was responding to a poster in the topic that mentioned that he'd prefer not to have any comments on his art.  I was just indicating there was someone that felt similarly.

You didn't 'shame' him.  Don't take too much responsibility for someone who's clearly feeling a little thin-skinned right now.  Lets all hope things improve for him.

Edited by thethedew

• Administrator
On 7/30/2022 at 2:22 PM, thethedew said:

He asked that his account be deleted.  After reviewing posts from a different thread, and now removed posts from this thread, I am not a fan with how this went down.  Disagreements can be debated however, I will not allow bullying and name calling like this in the future.  

Hello CGC Mike, 

I don't post much in these forums, However I do enjoy reading through many of the topics.  Though I don't agree with everything that is said throughout the  chats, I can understand your stance.  I'm not sure how much of Race's past posts you read, but I can tell you he, on occasion, did a little bullying himself.  Old school thinking (or maybe not necessarily old school) would say "what's good for the goose, is good for the gander."  Or maybe "if you can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen".  While I agree with your stance on bullying, I sincerely hope you will be applying your virtues throughout the entire CGC forum.   Have a great weekend everyone.  Jamie out!

• Administrator
On 7/30/2022 at 8:32 PM, Jamie.Merwin said:

Hello CGC Mike, 

I don't post much in these forums, However I do enjoy reading through many of the topics.  Though I don't agree with everything that is said throughout the  chats, I can understand your stance.  I'm not sure how much of Race's past posts you read, but I can tell you he, on occasion, did a little bullying himself.  Old school thinking (or maybe not necessarily old school) would say "what's good for the goose, is good for the gander."  Or maybe "if you can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen".  While I agree with your stance on bullying, I sincerely hope you will be applying your virtues throughout the entire CGC forum.   Have a great weekend everyone.  Jamie out!

No action was taken because I didn't know his entire posting history.  However, I would highly recommend using the report feature if someone is causing trouble, instead of not abiding by the terms of use to "handle" it on one's own.  I guess that is my only point.

On 7/30/2022 at 8:32 PM, Jamie.Merwin said:

Hello CGC Mike, 

I never particularly minded when he engaged in bullying except when it veered into name calling or needless snottiness (since when does attaining the age of 66 mean someone knows how to write?). He did have valid comments, even if they were sometimes roughly phrased, and that gave them value. And no, I am not referring to a price critique of something offered for sale that should never have been placed in Marketplace and was deservedly removed. But, this  is also not a board populated by delicate flowers: here you will find lots of brainpower; an apparent ability to handle the tougher parts of the business world like price manipulation, and a bit of money. He dished it out but he got it back. What does bother me, however, is that his comments sometimes caused a subject to devolve. For those of you who radically disagree, I get it. In my view, a little charity goes a long way to moving on.

On 7/31/2022 at 10:32 AM, Rick2you2 said:

I never particularly minded when he engaged in bullying except when it veered into name calling or needless snottiness (since when does attaining the age of 66 mean someone knows how to write?). He did have valid comments, even if they were sometimes roughly phrased, and that gave them value. And no, I am not referring to a price critique of something offered for sale that should never have been placed in Marketplace and was deservedly removed. But, this  is also not a board populated by delicate flowers: here you will find lots of brainpower; an apparent ability to handle the tougher parts of the business world like price manipulation, and a bit of money. He dished it out but he got it back. What does bother me, however, is that his comments sometimes caused a subject to devolve. For those of you who radically disagree, I get it. In my view, a little charity goes a long way to moving on.

Had 'Race' stayed on topic, I'd have been fine with his posts.  It was the personal attacks on Marcus, which were totally uncalled for, I didn't like.  Problem with some anonymous posters is that they seem to feel they can say what they like, without any accountability.  I find that cowardly behaviour.  If you want to be controversial, you should at least have the courage of your convictions to properly identify yourself.

On 7/31/2022 at 6:56 AM, The Voord said:

Had 'Race' stayed on topic, I'd have been fine with his posts.  It was the personal attacks on Marcus, which were totally uncalled for, I didn't like.  Problem with some anonymous posters is that they seem to feel they can say what they like, without any accountability.  I find that cowardly behaviour.  If you want to be controversial, you should at least have the courage of your convictions to properly identify yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Did Benjamin Franklin write under a pseudonym?

Silence Dogood was the name Franklin used to write the letters. In the 18th century many people wrote using pseudonyms (fake names used in writing). Franklin made up a whole character who went by the name Silence Dogood and wrote the letters as though he were she."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Race's attacks were uncalled for, but the problem is the content. The fact that he was cowardly, and apparently willing to admit it, doesn't really mean he would be held accountable for them. No duelling allowed; no lawsuits likely. Shunning in conventions? Eh. This is not a defense of his conduct, mind you, just a focusing on the key issue--bad content.

On 7/31/2022 at 12:09 PM, Rick2you2 said:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Did Benjamin Franklin write under a pseudonym?

Silence Dogood was the name Franklin used to write the letters. In the 18th century many people wrote using pseudonyms (fake names used in writing). Franklin made up a whole character who went by the name Silence Dogood and wrote the letters as though he were she."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Race's attacks were uncalled for, but the problem is the content. The fact that he was cowardly, and apparently willing to admit it, doesn't really mean he would be held accountable for them. No duelling allowed; no lawsuits likely. Shunning in conventions? Eh. This is not a defense of his conduct, mind you, just a focusing on the key issue--bad content.

Talking of which, and trying to get back on topic . . . 

z28-ish.jpg.251dd4862d58461d5d3294806735220a.jpg

Does this qualify as an historic first comic-book appearance of BF?  Picture Stories from American History # 2, EC Comics (1946).  I own the complete book of art . . . with lots of other potential first appearances!

Feel free to PM me with outlandish offers!  :tonofbricks:

:bigsmile:

On 7/31/2022 at 8:17 AM, The Voord said:

On 7/31/2022 at 8:17 AM, The Voord said:

Talking of which, and trying to get back on topic . . . 

z28-ish.jpg.251dd4862d58461d5d3294806735220a.jpg

Does this qualify as an historic first comic-book appearance of BF?  Picture Stories from American History # 2, EC Comics (1946).  I own the complete book of art . . . with lots of other potential first appearances!

Feel free to PM me with outlandish offers!  :tonofbricks:

:bigsmile:

That is actually right on the money. The anonymous pseudonym he used there was Silence Dogwood. Can’t tell from the image, but maybe that was part of the thought balloon which was lost.

“And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming…”

B76B8B88-87D0-4EB6-AA81-4FD9D2EBB6A0.jpeg.7ca5c35a02eb290a3d8866c8d8467ddb.jpeg

🍇 🦍 👍 1—.        Quote & Reply 👍 

Wow, the birthing page and first appearance of a Marcus Wai comment on a page in my gallery. This is a HISTORIC moment in the recorded legends of original art lore. A Marcus Wai comment should be treasured like a Wonka golden ticket. It’s a damn sight better than money these days the way it’s printed like copy paper at Dunder Mifflin. 👍 

WAITING FOR A MARCUS WAI COMMENT IS LIKE WAITING FOR THE LATEST OPENING MOMENTS OF A DOUBLE O SEVEN FILM 👍 

0 0 7  👍 

Marcus Wai 2024 🇺🇸 👍   

Baller                         👍 

I don't think my collection contains anything "historic" (from this topic's title).  I don't really hype it that much but I do have some reasonably nice "1st appearances".  But that's not specifically why I have the piece.  It's based on my collecting focus and habits, sometimes it's noted in the CAF gallery titles.  But that's also because my CAF galleries are organized in a way that strongly aligns with how my art is physically organized.  For other 1st appearances, it's not noted in the art's Title.  But it is mentioned in the art's Description.  Sometimes, you have to drill down.  And responding to OP's comment, almost all of the 1st appearances are over 20 years old and none are for sale.