• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your personal experience when using CCS?
1 1

22 posts in this topic

In general...have you been satisfied with the results from CCS after such a long wait time or have you found that the book could have been pressed better? I've only sent one submission in for CCS pressing and am waiting for them to get back, but I'm already preparing myself to examine them closely and perhaps even resubmit using a private presser if needed. I've seen too many Youtube video's about CCS not doing a thorough job. Curious if that tends to be the exception and not the rule from your own experiences with them? Some of the books I have there currently could mean a $1800 price difference from a 9.6 to a 9.8....here's hoping everything comes back as good as it can be.

Edited by NumminzAK

On 7/28/2022 at 6:56 PM, NumminzAK said:

In general...have you been satisfied with the results from CCS after such a long wait time or have you found that the book could have been pressed better? I've only sent one submission in for CCS pressing and am waiting for them to get back, but I'm already preparing myself to examine them closely and perhaps even resubmit using a private presser if needed. I've seen too many Youtube video's about CCS not doing a thorough job. Curious if that tends to be the exception and not the rule from your own experiences with them? Some of the books I have there currently could mean a $1800 price difference from a 9.6 to a 9.8....here's hoping everything comes back as good as it can be.

I'm not sticking up for CCS when I say this:  Take 90% of what comic YouTubers have to say with a grain of salt.  

I have had one round of books for through CCS, with no complaints. All books badly needed the care, and all came back 9.8. I'm sure things can go wrong, but I -- personally -- don't have any evidence that it's likely or systemic.

That said, I have another presser that I prefer in general. Pressing depends a lot on the skill and experience of the person doing the work, and I like knowing who that person is.

I've seen too many Youtube video's about CCS not doing a thorough job. Curious if that tends to be the exception and not the rule from your own experiences with them? 

Sent in a TMNT 1 for press and grade. While it was there, they announced the Eastman signing and of course wouldn't reroute it for me so when I got it back I was just going to quickly resubmit.  It came back slightly better but still had an area that could definitely been flattened out some more so when I resubmitted I paid for more pressing.  It came back that time signed, but no difference in the waviness.  I can't prove a thing of course but while they didn't do a great job the first time, I'm not convinced they even touched it the second time. I have seen very similar complaints about books looking like they completely forgot to press them.  I don't know what goes on at CCS, and I don't even care.  At this point people can risk their money or not.  I will only use third party in the future.

This was my experience.

Hope yours is better.

I have just received my 10 silver age comics grades with graders comments. All 10 went to CCS first submitted last June 2021 paid in January and a few weeks ago went to CGC. The grades aside which I didn't know what to expect, it was the graders notes on seven of the comics of moderate creases, i can't see the point of sending for pressing if you do not get rid of creases so i am not really convinced of the benefit especially to silver age comics.

I sent about 150 books through CCS but that was a year and a half ago. At that time everything rolled through really fast and the quality of results was about the same as using any presser out there. I was very happy with it at that time, but I cant really speak to where things are at now. 

I've since moved to pressing my own comics, and that has given me the best results. The biggest benefit is that I can easily inspect each book after pressing to see how things came out during pressing, and inspect again as I am submitting to catch any "unpressing" that may have happened. The reality is that no pressing service, whether CCS or private, is going to put as much time and care into my books as I do. 

Even though I clean and press my own books, Signature Series books can only be cleaned and pressed by CCS, if you want to keep the yellow label. I've sent in four SS books in the past to CCS. Three had no grade change and the other got a slight grade bump. Overall happy with their work, but I only use them for SS books. 

On 7/29/2022 at 6:52 AM, Stefan_W said:

I sent about 150 books through CCS but that was a year and a half ago. At that time everything rolled through really fast and the quality of results was about the same as using any presser out there. I was very happy with it at that time, but I cant really speak to where things are at now. 

I've since moved to pressing my own comics, and that has given me the best results. The biggest benefit is that I can easily inspect each book after pressing to see how things came out during pressing, and inspect again as I am submitting to catch any "unpressing" that may have happened. The reality is that no pressing service, whether CCS or private, is going to put as much time and care into my books as I do. 

I’ve been trying to go down this path as well been working on practice 1$ bin books as what company or person can sit there for such a long time and dry clean and press a book compared to doing it yourself. Dry cleaning is a really long process…. I can’t see a business dry cleaning the way a avid collector would for a book of their own.

but as to the thread a few years back had ccs press some books.. a few of them looked like nothing was done so hard to say ad I saw easy bends and dents no colour break that were still visible in the slab…???

For routine pressing, I would never use them.  I had 50 or so books go through a HA submission a few years ago and 3 had a staple popped.  Others were bought and pressed to higher grades by others.    

For more complex restoration Kenny & Matt are outstanding.  

I used them for an Eastman signing over a year ago and I was mostly happy with results.  I used them again when that first price hike happened and was not as happy when I got the books back last month.  Many books looked like nothing happened and some had things that I will fix on my own.  just a lot of non color breaking spine tics.

On a funny note I have 4 books that went in for Eastman signing and the books have been stuck in Grading/Quality Control for over a week.  I called and the Rep said that is because I asked for pressing.  I told him I didn't, he said I selected it.   I looked at my packing slip and charges, there is no way I selected that.  So I guess I am getting a free press, even though I pressed them before sending them in.

On 7/29/2022 at 3:00 PM, toro said:

I used them for an Eastman signing over a year ago and I was mostly happy with results.  I used them again when that first price hike happened and was not as happy when I got the books back last month.  Many books looked like nothing happened and some had things that I will fix on my own.  just a lot of non color breaking spine tics.

On a funny note I have 4 books that went in for Eastman signing and the books have been stuck in Grading/Quality Control for over a week.  I called and the Rep said that is because I asked for pressing.  I told him I didn't, he said I selected it.   I looked at my packing slip and charges, there is no way I selected that.  So I guess I am getting a free press, even though I pressed them before sending them in.

I would be cautious about the “free” ccs pressing…they might bill u later. And wouldn’t pressing a book a lot potentially damage the book if it’s not done properly? 

On 7/28/2022 at 8:17 PM, Artboy99 said:

I used CCS when I sent my Planet Comics 15 that was falling apart to be conserved. I was very happy with the result.

Spine was split, detached cover that was also married. Two centerfold wraps detached reattached.

Planet 15 split detached cover.jpg

Planet 15 conserved.jpg

Did you have them press the book or just do the conservation work?  

Beautiful book by the way. 

On 7/29/2022 at 6:47 AM, Coops66 said:

I have just received my 10 silver age comics grades with graders comments. All 10 went to CCS first submitted last June 2021 paid in January and a few weeks ago went to CGC. The grades aside which I didn't know what to expect, it was the graders notes on seven of the comics of moderate creases, i can't see the point of sending for pressing if you do not get rid of creases so i am not really convinced of the benefit especially to silver age comics.

Wow.  You go notes. 

Unusual. 

👍

I typically add ccs pressing to my in-house signings (probably done ~50) and have been generally happy with the result. I've had 1 higher value book done, Hulk 180, and they definitely helped the book as there was a corner crease and some waviness that they removed. 

Well...three of the books are on their way back after a year and I'm not pleased with one of the results. I sent in three near identical copies of Wolverine 1 from 1988 that I bought personally back in 1988. They were never read and were stored properly with bags and boards in a long box. I pulled them out last year and inspected them and thought after CCS pressing, they were all possibly 9.6-9.8, but I know that book is solid black and tough for the higher grades. Two copies got a 9.4....that's fine....but one of them was suddenly a 8.5? With creases, spine creases, and even foreign substance on book??? Nope....that just was not the case....something occurred to this book while in CCS's care. I'm now trying to figure out what CGC is willing to acknowledge or if they are willing to do anything at all or if they will just say "Meh....wasn't us....prove it." I'm not complaining about the 8.5 if the book was within that realm....I would never have sent that book if I thought that was remotely possible...and honestly almost didn't even go for the press because the books were all that clean....no ticks...definitely no Foreign substance.

On 7/28/2022 at 5:12 PM, october said:

I used CCS once. 

Once. 

Same. 

I’m convinced that the one book I sent wasn’t even pressed since the before and after pics I took were identical (aside from the crunched corner that wasn’t there when I sent it).