• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 Cooling down . . .
1 1

104 posts in this topic

On 9/14/2022 at 1:32 PM, Troy.Division said:

Which should be 'worth' more -
The original cover art OR a CGC 10 of an issue?

It should not always be the same answer.

A frazetta cover?   The cover OA.

Action 1?   A 10.0 of the book.

The thinking there being that the primary interest there is the artwork in the case of the frazetta, and the book itself in the case of the Action.    It would be the hands down top book in the whole hobby and the cover, while important, wouldn't be in the same league.

And if you're not sold on the Action 1 example, consider Pep 22.    The primary interest is Archie, who is not on the cover.    The 10.0 of that book would be far more interesting than the (admittedly nice) cover.   

I'm sure we can all think of other examples on either side of the coin, and from all eras.

It will generally favor the cover OA, but its not absolute. 

Edited by Bronty

On 9/14/2022 at 3:15 PM, Bronty said:

The thinking there being that the primary interest there is the artwork in the case of the frazetta, and the book itself in the case of the Action.    It would be the hands down top book in the whole hobby and the cover, while important, wouldn't be in the same league.

And if you're not sold on the Action 1 example, consider Pep 22.    The primary interest is Archie, who is not on the cover.    The 10.0 of that book would be far more interesting than the (admittedly nice) cover.   

I'm sure we can all think of other examples on either side of the coin, and from all eras.

It will generally favor the cover OA, but its not absolute. 

Disagree

The OA page that features Archie for the first time would trump any book in any condition 

On 9/14/2022 at 1:32 PM, Troy.Division said:

Which should be 'worth' more -
The original cover art OR a CGC 10 of an issue?

Like many art collectors who were in the hobby back in 2005-2007 I have a pile of Gold Key 1960-1980s cartoon based covers. Heritage was selling off the stuff from Western files.  Multi-Cover lots included but were not limited to; Woody Woodpecker, Bugs Bunny and Looney Toons related, Tom & Jerry, and many many more.

Several of those Covers I picked up the comics were only issued in  "rare" 3 pre-packs. My guess is those pre-pack issues in high grade would command more than the original cover art.  Collectors can be finicky. Still the OCA is 1/1 item and no more will ever come to light....

The collecting pool for comics dwarfs OCA.While I feel OCA will prevail most of the time, case by case may apply.

Edited by MAR1979

On 9/14/2022 at 5:15 PM, Bronty said:

And if you're not sold on the Action 1 example

I’m not.   The cover OA to Action 1 is not in the same league as a perfect copy of the book?

I’m going to need some convincing...

On 9/15/2022 at 5:03 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m not.   The cover OA to Action 1 is not in the same league as a perfect copy of the book?

I’m going to need some convincing...

Its not my job to convince those who don't want to be convinced, but its the truth.   

On 9/14/2022 at 6:03 PM, MAR1979 said:

Like many art collectors who were in the hobby back in 2005-2007 I have a pile of Gold Key 1960-1980s cartoon based covers. Heritage was selling off the stuff from Western files.  Multi-Cover lots included but were not limited to; Woody Woodpecker, Bugs Bunny and Looney Toons related, Tom & Jerry, and many many more.

Several of those I picked up the comics were only issues in  "rare" 3 pre-packs. My guess is those pre-pack issues in high grade would command more than the original cover art.  Collectors can be finicky. Still the OCA is 1/1 item and no more will ever come to light....

The collecting pool for comics dwarfs OCA.While I feel OCA will prevail most of the time, case by case may apply.

ding ding ding.

You get exactly what I'm saying.   It is case by case but with a considerable lean to the cover OA.

Edited by Bronty

On 9/14/2022 at 6:03 PM, MAR1979 said:

Several of those I picked up the comics were only issues in  "rare" 3 pre-packs. My guess is those pre-pack issues in high grade would command more than the original cover art.  Collectors can be finicky. Still the OCA is 1/1 item and no more will ever come to light....

Buddy, ya gotta stop calling it OCA…it’s just OA, OK?

On 9/26/2022 at 10:01 PM, Pitboss said:

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #300, CGC 9.8 NM/MT - THE AUCTION HAS ENDED

1988; 1st full Venom appearance, McFarlane art. Classic cover

Current Bid: $4,200
Number Of Bids: 19 history.gif

RAD278712022517_13113.jpg

Not wise for buyer. With the high census pop, as book drops non White Page slabs will take much bigger hits.  

On 11/1/2022 at 11:30 AM, clarkkentdds said:

Two 300s 9.8 W closed at CL last night for $4033, and $4105. Is that a 52 week low? Do you think these will dip more?

I've literally been watching this book for years thinking it will go back down below $2500. Wondering if it is finally a good time to buy...

IMHO still a ways to drop, but think the bottom will be higher than 2500. Still hope remains it will negatively breach that amount.

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/1/2022 at 11:30 AM, clarkkentdds said:

Two 300s 9.8 W closed at CL last night for $4033, and $4105. Is that a 52 week low? Do you think these will dip more?

I've literally been watching this book for years thinking it will go back down below $2500. Wondering if it is finally a good time to buy...

Nope, not a 52 week low.

clink is not a good venue for selling this book presently.

On 11/10/2022 at 9:31 PM, Pitboss said:

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #300, CGC 9.8 NM/MT - THE AUCTION HAS ENDED

1988; 1st full Venom appearance, McFarlane art. Classic cover

Current Bid: $3,550
Number Of Bids: 11 history.gif

00002731698000083729623001_TH.jpg

ASM300 you needed cooling
Baby I'm not fooling
I'm gonna send ya
Back to schooling

To be fair ow/w on a 1988 book probably kept many bidders away likely lowering the final price by 15-20%. However earlier this year and certainly last it still would have approached 5K

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/12/2022 at 2:02 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Demand is cooling. There will never be a time that a copy is not for sale. There is just to many.

I'd hate to be the guy that paid $9,000 for that direct copy a while back.

If he was smart he jumped shipped as it began to plummet back to earth.