• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel early 2000s printing crease FYI
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hey y'all, 

I just got a submission of 6 books back, and my estimates were very close to their outcomes, except for one:

Book 1 estimate: 9.4; CGC 9.6
Book 2 estimate 9.4; CGC 9.2
Book 3 estimate: 8.0; CGC 8.0
Book 4 estimate: 3.5; CGC 4.5
Book 5 estimate: 9.2; CGC 9.0
Book 6 estimate: 9.2; CGC 7.0

As many of you may know, and I believe this topic was brought up in another thread, Marvel comics from the early 2000s very commonly had a light printing crease that is about 1cm from the spine, that runs parallel to the spine for the length of the book (most of my Morrison New X-Men run has this).  I couldn't find the previous thread, but I remember somebody asking how much of a hit book would take for that manufacturer's crease.  I would presume it depends on the severity, but still considering it's not an "after-market" flaw, I thought CGC would be lenient.  

Not so.  At least in this case.  

Grader Notes:
Comic Description:
Bloodstone 1 12/01 Marvel Comics

Grader Notes:
very light fingerprints on cover
very light readers crease full left of front cover

I found the "light fingerprints" on the right edge of the front cover, but I have a book with similar fingerprints and it graded much higher than this.  CGC has mistakenly called the spine printing error a "readers crease."  Which it isn't.  I've attached scans, and invite input from others that have submitted Marvel books from this period with a similar defect.  

Bloodstone #1 NM- front.jpg

Bloodstone #1 NM- back.jpg

This isn't an answer to your question, but I'm curious about the defect. I see what you're pointing out on this book; is it just the line and breaks that show or is there an actual bend? If there's some kind of bend I'd love to see an example from the #114 run if you're able. Thanks for any info!

The creases are VERY hard to see in scans and need to be seen in a certain light.  I would agree that some of the color rub on my example should cause the book to take a hit, but 7.0?  :(    OUCH

All of the examples I've presented are from 2001-2005, supporting my initial statement in the thread above that it's common for Marvel books from this era to have this production flaw.  I stand by my statement that CGC was wrong in classifying this as a "readers crease."  

Harumph  :mad:

On 8/3/2022 at 11:10 AM, djzombi said:

I would presume it depends on the severity, but still considering it's not an "after-market" flaw, I thought CGC would be lenient. 

They were, but those multiple color-lifting fingerprints killed the grade.

On 8/3/2022 at 11:10 AM, djzombi said:

I found the "light fingerprints" on the right edge of the front cover, but I have a book with similar fingerprints and it graded much higher than this.

:eek: It shouldn't have.