• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
25 25

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/9/2022 at 2:41 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Even if CGC is okay with not dinging these because the cover artist had something to do with the creation of the acetate addition, if Marvel did not authorize this, as Bleeding Cool is reporting, then there's no good reason for CGC to denote that it's a specific edition ('"In God We Trust" Acetate Edition') rather than simply indicating "Acetate cover added after production," since this is not an official edition approved by the publisher.

To be fair, a lot of the Bleeding cool article basically seems to be a rehash of what's been stated in this thread.  It even references this thread as a source.  That's not to say Bleeding Cool didn't reach out independently to confirm that Marvel didn't authorize it, but just saying, some of that stuff is from here so it shouldn't be used as a source.

Can CGC just say that this was an oversite and an error on their part, make a statement that any future submissions of this book will be properly assigned the Green Label, ask Black Flag to return any slabs that have not been sold so that they can be properly graded and labeled?  I get that some of the slabbed books are gone, and that's ok, but this seems the best course of action to right the ship

On 8/9/2022 at 4:43 PM, ExNihilo said:

To be fair, a lot of the Bleeding cool article basically seems to be a rehash of what's been stated in this thread.  It even references this thread as a source.  That's not to say Bleeding Cool didn't reach out independently to confirm that Marvel didn't authorize it, but just saying, some of that stuff is from here so it shouldn't be used as a source.

FB post by Rich.

Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 4.44.59 PM.png

On 8/9/2022 at 2:45 PM, valiantman said:

CGC should just respond to CBCS with "CGC considers books with extensive restoration worthy of a PURPLE label and has not discontinued the PURPLE label to pretend that everything is BLUE, unlike some other companies."

if not for their stance on that and the dissolution of red label in favor of making everything yellow label, i might have switched over.  As it is, CGC is still the only company with a yellow label that I "trust".

Edited by ExNihilo
grammar

On 8/9/2022 at 4:48 PM, ExNihilo said:

The variant market is truly atbay-itshay crazy. 

Sady, this example of the same situation from the sportscard market is NOT an exaggeration.

"I don't understand why someone would pay $20,000 for a purple hologram prism die-cut non-rookie card limited to 199 when they could pay $10,000 for an orange hologram prism die-cut non-rookie card limited to 299. There are only 100 more copies of the orange in the world and it costs half as much as the purple card with 199 out there."

Edited by valiantman

This goes back a few years....

Remeember when an attempt was made to slab intentionally beat up copies of the reprinted Walking Dead #1 but CGC said no. 

If a variant shop did this today I guess it would work?

On 8/9/2022 at 5:43 PM, ExNihilo said:

True, but they did note "Today, Bleeding Cool has been able to confirm that Marvel Comics did not approve Black Flag's addition of an acetate cover as a further variant, and it is also not something they would permit."

On 8/9/2022 at 2:43 PM, ExNihilo said:

The author only referenced this thread to make the point that CGC's forum members (us) didn't buy their explanation.  The statement about Marvel not authorizing the acetate project and the statement that it isn't something they would approve seems to have come directly from the author's contact with Marvel.  Bleeding Cool definitely has deep contacts at Marvel and my suspicion is that the SVP mentioned in the very next sentence (David Gabriel) is the author's source.  Judging from his title, SVP Print, Sales and Marketing, that's who I would reach out to if I were Bleeding Cool.  

On 8/9/2022 at 4:17 PM, Metroplex Comics said:

CGC... Compromised Grading Company?

CGC: Creating Gullible Collecters

On 8/9/2022 at 4:41 PM, Troy Division said:

CGC should have learned their lesson after getting paid to 'grade' invisible comics.
But...greed got the best of them...

CBCS throwing shade...

Collectors should have learned and walked away then.

On 8/9/2022 at 5:00 PM, FFB said:

The author only referenced this thread to make the point that CGC's forum members (us) didn't buy their explanation.  The statement about Marvel not authorizing the acetate project and the statement that it isn't something they would approve seems to have come directly from the author's contact with Marvel.  Bleeding Cool definitely has deep contacts at Marvel and my suspicion is that the SVP mentioned in the very next sentence (David Gabriel) is the author's source.  Judging from his title, SVP Print, Sales and Marketing, that's who I would reach out to if I were Bleeding Cool.  

Maybe Marvel will sue Black Flag and CGC?

On 8/9/2022 at 4:53 PM, valiantman said:

Sady, this example of the same situation from the sportscard market is NOT an exaggeration.

"I don't understand why someone would pay $20,000 for a purple hologram prism die-cut non-rookie card limited to 199 when they could pay $10,000 for an orange hologram prism die-cut non-rookie card limited to 299. There are only 100 more copies of the orange in the world and it costs half as much as the purple card with 199 out there."

I was just going to post something similar. Comic variants are a mere doodoo filled trashcan fire next to the dumpster sized inferno that is the ultramodern card parallel market. 

It's almost quaint in comparison.