• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2022 at 4:43 PM, justafan said:

Yeah, but only if that happened before the doors opened.  He was saying dealer to dealer sales of regular convention stock and wall books prior to the doors opening should be restricted as well since the regular fans don't get as many opportunities to find good deals if the dealers buy up all the best deals and set a new convention market price for them.  You end up with 2 markets: the pre-opening market and then the regular hours convention market with markups.  I've heard stories of dealers buying some of the best books for their own collection thereby reducing the stock that the regular convention attendees have access to which is why many collectors attend conventions.  I realize that is one of the trade industry perks of being a dealer/exhibitor and incentive of buying a table at a convention to sell.  However, I have felt like the only way I can be assured of a fair convention experience is if I also buy a dealer table to get the exhibitor badge and early access to level the playing field. If enough "collectors" start doing that how will that affect the convention experience for dealers and convention attendees? 

5ACF844A-9CD9-4476-B383-07B91273F65D.jpeg.dcee1e98b5b0f11122fdfbc6d7c455ea.jpeg

:baiting:

On 8/8/2022 at 5:25 PM, mattn792 said:

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/cgc-asks-bad-idea-to-stop-selling-the-slabbed-invisible-comics/

This was after they got excoriated for selling grades.  And yet here we are once again.  CGC has re-evaluated nothing and learned nothing.  

On 8/10/2022 at 3:51 PM, nearmint said:

I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what happened with CGC here.  Lots of talk about a cash grab, and selling grades.  All this for a 30 book submission? 

Likely not a one off!

Integrity is worthless to Exec's who seek to pad them bonus'  before they skedaddle to other firms after the Magical 18-24 months be up.

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/10/2022 at 3:37 PM, Ares said:

They are marketing them as variants and since Marvel did not print them they cant be sold that way

They are variants and Marvel approved them as such.

The acetate is a different issue but the books are quite literally "Black Flag Comics Edition" variants.

On 8/10/2022 at 3:43 PM, Sigur Ros said:

They are variants and Marvel approved them as such.

The acetate is a different issue but the books are quite literally "Black Flag Comics Edition" variants.

The problem is Marvel did not approve the acetate: https://bleedingcool.com/comics/marvel-did-not-approve-ultimate-fallout-4-acetate-covers-at-c2e2/

On 8/10/2022 at 4:36 PM, TTony said:

So you're saying Black Flag used better acetate than Stray Dogs 1 which the acetate cover stapled with only 2 staples in original production, not a year later by some unknown post production process?

image.thumb.png.2f5fc845bea99b6352bac9ff972f2c7b.png

Stray Dogs has 4 staples.

On 8/10/2022 at 5:51 PM, DrunkWooky said:

Correct.  We've been discussing that for a few days now.

These are their variants, they added a new wrap with nothing copyrighted on it.

As I have said before.... Marvel can ask them to stop.

That's it.

On 8/10/2022 at 11:46 AM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

You can only pre-screen for 9.8 grades and below. 

Ah, right, not normally, no. That theoretical scenario was a generous fantasy, but it was a thought experiment basically; What if CGC did do a 9.9 pre-screen for Black Flag. And even then, for that many books to pass strains credulity, out of the entire print run even, and certainly out of 10 books.

On 8/10/2022 at 1:46 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Absolutely agree. Taking a book, putting another cover on it and adding two more staples? That's about as half-arsed as it can get. That level of quality shouldn't be acceptable by anyone: dealers, collectors, consumers or graders.

+1

On 8/10/2022 at 2:53 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Stray Dogs asked to be left out of it because their book was approved by Image and has a different bar code.  It's nothing like this scenario where one version of a book was approved and then subsequently altered without Marvel's approval.

On 8/10/2022 at 4:36 PM, valiantman said:

No, I'm saying that publishers (or pretend publishers, in the case of the acetate overlay a year later) working closely with CGC could (theoretically) supply CGC directly - no other handling after production - with 200 books or 350 books, or 750 books, and ask CGC to pull out and slab the best 10.  If CGC did this, the census results of that process would look impossible for just submitting 10 books. There would be no census record of the 190, 340, or 740 rejected books that didn't get slabbed.

I believe this has happen in the past multiple times

On 8/10/2022 at 2:36 PM, valiantman said:

No, I'm saying that publishers (or pretend publishers, in the case of the acetate overlay a year later) working closely with CGC could (theoretically) supply CGC directly - no other handling after production - with 200 books or 350 books, or 750 books, and ask CGC to pull out and slab the best 10.  If CGC did this, the census results of that process would look impossible for just submitting 10 books. There would be no census record of the 190, 340, or 740 rejected books that didn't get slabbed.

Still not buying that even if they submitted 750 books that they get a 10.0 and three 9.9's!  They just so happen to also get ONE 10.0 and THREE 9.9's on the other 2 or 3 books they did this on?  Did they tell CGC, "hey, for these next 2 titles, look at the 350 books for each title and pick out ONE 10.0, THREE 9.9's and a few more 9.8's and then stop grading them."?  

On 8/10/2022 at 2:53 PM, Sigur Ros said:

I was incorrect, you are correct here.  I thought I read earlier in the thread that it had 2 staples.  My point above still stands.