• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2022 at 9:03 PM, TTony said:
On 8/10/2022 at 8:57 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I was really hoping you'd end the list with :

• Recap of 79 pages

I like it, added!

Make sure you are stretching those fingers and other preventative carpal tunnel exercises.

Black Flag and/or his wife still need to make an appearance in in this grand melodrama playing out before our eyes. 

On 8/10/2022 at 12:28 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Marvel didn't license these, so no money is due. 

The guy already paid Marvel for the variants, last year, then added his own acetate over them. There is no infringement. 

Marvel could stop him because of the assumption these are Marvel-approved, but other than a simple email I doubt they'll put any effort into doing so. 

Hell probably get the email, but nothing more. 

This is basically the same as someone drawing a Batman on a Spider-man blank variant.   Marvel can't do a thing about it. 

It is still infringement if you create a derivative work, which this most certainly is.  And Marvel will probably send a C&D letter because these publishers are accustomed to doing exactly that every time someone infringes a trademark or copyright.  It doesn't matter how much money the person made; they do it as a matter of course.  We're likely concerned with copyright infringement here, but for trademark infringement, you have to send a C&D letter or you may risk losing or weakening your rights in the trademark down the line.  

Bottom line is that the amount of money made or not made by Black Flag is not going to be a determining factor in whether or not they get a C&D letter.  If they pull the acetate versions before the next show, you'll know they got a letter from Marvel.  

Event + Reaction = Outcome

The blowback CGC is getting can mostly be attributed to its reaction to its slip in judgement (I’m being generous) of grading the books as blue labels in the first place.

They can add some additional reactions if they want, but the outcome isn’t going to be everything they hoped it would be.

Your reaction to something has an equal or greater weight in the outcome of a situation. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

There are some well known names on the Voldy board laying the boot in.

Some well known posters from here are on there too.

On 8/10/2022 at 1:43 PM, justafan said:

Yeah, but only if that happened before the doors opened.  He was saying dealer to dealer sales of regular convention stock and wall books prior to the doors opening should be restricted as well since the regular fans don't get as many opportunities to find good deals if the dealers buy up all the best deals and set a new convention market price for them.  You end up with 2 markets: the pre-opening market and then the regular hours convention market with markups.  I've heard stories of dealers buying some of the best books for their own collection thereby reducing the stock that the regular convention attendees have access to which is why many collectors attend conventions.  I realize that is one of the trade industry perks of being a dealer/exhibitor and incentive of buying a table at a convention to sell.  However, I have felt like the only way I can be assured of a fair convention experience is if I also buy a dealer table to get the exhibitor badge and early access to level the playing field. If enough "collectors" start doing that how will that affect the convention experience for dealers and convention attendees? 

Personally you will never see me again ever trying to get con variant/exclusives for that reason. The rest I hear yeah and understand what you are saying, but......

image.png.27084441721e50f3b76782c96ee36302.png