• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
25 25

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/14/2022 at 2:54 PM, The Meta said:

Odd way to look at it, but ok

Controversy is created by the controversial, imo

Often, but not always.  I wasn't the one that complained about a Boardie who didn't ask to be involved in my post.

I find it extremely odd you commented on someone liking my post. 

Old old thread.  In my early days I criticized a Boardie for adding nothing to the conversation (don't even recall who it was now).  This person tore into me for doing so.  We went round and round a bit, and I got my first and only Mod warning.  In the end... I had to admit he was right, and I apologized on the thread.  I remember it (he wouldn't) because one's errors often stick with you more strongly than one's successes.  I thought it "odd" (as you say) that he would "like" a post that did exactly what he chided me for.  That's all.

But your deletion of things is probably for the best, fairly biased stuff there when you read into it

And you make my point.  You are insinuating I have a bias for posting it, other than just wanting to correct what I see is a misunderstanding of what the artist was going for.  You couldn't get my politics right if I gave you 10 guesses.  So don't assume anything.  My interpretation of a Picasso doesn't mean I endorse or don't endorse what I believe he is saying.  If you choose to believe that an American artist chose an unrelated comic to give it a rousing patriotic flavor (a theme more of the golden-age and silver-age... rarely employed in modern comics) but despite his patriotic fervor, got every last element wrong in a way that actually undermines that theme... then go for it.  Maybe Crain really is that clueless.  Don't know him.  But my only bias is in favor of a more logical explanation of what he was going for.  So I do ask that you not come on here and insinuate it's something more than that.

On 8/14/2022 at 3:25 PM, Bookery said:

Often, but not always.  I wasn't the one that complained about a Boardie who didn't ask to be involved in my post.

Old old thread.  In my early days I criticized a Boardie for adding nothing to the conversation (don't even recall who it was now).  This person tore into me for doing so.  We went round and round a bit, and I got my first and only Mod warning.  In the end... I had to admit he was right, and I apologized on the thread.  I remember it (he wouldn't) because one's errors often stick with you more strongly than one's successes.  I thought it "odd" (as you say) that he would "like" a post that did exactly what he chided me for.  That's all.

And you make my point.  You are insinuating I have a bias for posting it, other than just wanting to correct what I see is a misunderstanding of what the artist was going for.  You couldn't get my politics right if I gave you 10 guesses.  So don't assume anything.  My interpretation of a Picasso doesn't mean I endorse or don't endorse what I believe he is saying.  If you choose to believe that an American artist chose an unrelated comic to give it a rousing patriotic flavor (a theme more of the golden-age and silver-age... rarely employed in modern comics) but despite his patriotic fervor, got every last element wrong in a way that actually undermines that theme... then go for it.  Maybe Crain really is that clueless.  Don't know him.  But my only bias is in favor of a more logical explanation of what he was going for.  So I do ask that you not come on here and insinuate it's something more than that.

Well, I'll state my point of view, just like you

Thats how it works

On 8/14/2022 at 11:48 AM, Bookery said:

(D) Clayton Crain is a good or bad artist 

Unlike the majority here, I do like his art.  He has drawn many things with the American Flag as well (e.g. the entire Carnage U.S.A. series).  Also, some of the sigs are pretty cool.  Take a look at this one below, the ice effect is very cool (pun intended).  And for those who say they have never heard of him, he must be pretty popular because this looks like his own personal CGC custom label with his sig on it.  

image.thumb.png.5493c2af90d55fbbd186d9cd189db4cc.png

On 8/14/2022 at 3:26 PM, The Meta said:

Well, I'll state my point of view, just like you

Thats how it works

True.  But you never actually agreed or disagreed with my interpretation of the symbolism.  

You just keep stating your view about Board members themselves instead of their actual comments and interpretations.  As you say... I find that.... "odd".

On 8/14/2022 at 3:33 PM, Bookery said:

True.  But you never actually agreed or disagreed with my interpretation of the symbolism.  

You just keep stating your view about Board members themselves instead of their actual comments and interpretations.  As you say... I find that.... "odd".

And?

On 8/14/2022 at 3:57 PM, Red84 said:

The above post about Crain having his own custom label reminds me. 

It is entirely 100% inappropriate for a purported independent 3rd party grading company to sell special vanity labels.

It is this stepping out of the world of grading/authentication into the slab becoming the item of interest itself that greatly reduced CGC's legitimacy in my eyes.

CGC grading should always be the authenticator/grader, not the actual object to be collected. Crossing that red line was a big misstep.

rantrant

Almost like it could be a conflict of interest when a third party grading company that benefits fiscally from an annual signing with an artist that charges $255 for a signature...
Then enters into a direct fiscal agreement to grade *AUGMENTED* comics for this same artist's new comic publishing company...

Capture 2.JPG

On 8/14/2022 at 4:02 PM, namisgr said:

Curiously, the act of stapling non-original materials over top of an existing comic is not mentioned.  Until this current fiasco, I would have thought the reasoning behind not explicitly defining an added non-original cover after company manufacture as destruction or restoration would be because it's patently obvious that adding unoriginal materials to a book is destructive, much in the manner that destructive trimming is deemed restorative.  But low and behold, here we are with the current contradiction.  As to why one could deem as non-restorative an artist-generated non-original and non-paper piece of art done on an acetate sheet seems inexplicable, irrational with precedent or without, and with professional or amateur artist involvement alike.

They have graded this as a NG or green label before. When a artist attached another layer to a book to create his own blank cover so they could do a sketch, CGC gave the book a NG label.

On 8/14/2022 at 1:13 PM, Buzzetta said:

They have graded this as a NG or green label before. When a artist attached another layer to a book to create his own blank cover so they could do a sketch, CGC gave the book a NG label.

sick-burn-logo.gif

On 8/14/2022 at 1:16 PM, Steamed Hams said:

You sure that's legit?

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/7873/

Or is it like a Chinese restaurant where you have to ask for the "special" menu? Or maybe it's a Private Signing label like the Pat Gleason example?

For whatever it's worth, that list is incomplete.  The Stan label is missing so it's possible other labels are missing as well.

On 8/14/2022 at 1:16 PM, Steamed Hams said:

You sure that's legit?

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/7873/

Or is it like a Chinese restaurant where you have to ask for the "special" menu? 

Looks like you are right, there may be a special menu if you are an "established artist".

https://claytoncrain.com/products/cgc-modern-grading-w-crain-custom-label

On 8/14/2022 at 4:23 PM, TTony said:

Looks like you are right, there may be a special menu if you are an "established artist".

https://claytoncrain.com/products/cgc-modern-grading-w-crain-custom-label

Yeah, just search clayton crain cgc on eBay and you can see he has custom labels available that are not tied to signing events.
CGC benefits additionally from his signings.
They knew these acetate books were created by him.
It was a Godfather like favor...

On 8/14/2022 at 2:48 PM, Bookery said:

…(E) Clayton Crain made 3 glaring mistakes in his art additions.  I have not posted about subjects (A) through (C) because 150 pages have covered every angle of that.  I have not responded to (D) because it's subjective (and I don't care).  I responed only to the (E) discussions because there had not been a single post previously which covered how I felt it was being misinterpreted…

I think there hasn't been a post about it, because no one else was seeing what you were seeing. Rather than the errors being intention in order to make some sort of statement, what seems more likely to me, especially when you look at the wrap as a whole, and the other acetate wraps that they promoted for other books, is that, unlike Marvel comics, which has an editorial team and an art direction team, Infinite Black probably doesn't have a team at the same level as Marvel. So mistakes were missed, and things that are more a matter of choice, such as typography, weren't scrutinized on the acetate wrap as much as they would have been on the portion of the product that Marvel had a say in. For example, in addition to what's been pointed out on the acetate wrap already, I think it's a little awkward to have "IN," "WE," and "INTRUST" in all caps while "God" is mixed case, and the spacing could be better. The layout in general could be a little better at the top of the back cover, with the Infinite Black logo, and the In God copy; looks a little cramped to me.