• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
25 25

4,556 posts in this topic

image.thumb.png.59c59ad9c7ff6fc8259d0492145776b9.png

Well, with respect to gifted or preferential grades I can think of one they compare perfectly with (PGX, and possibly others).  As for grading bootlegged comics as Universal I'm not sure if such a precedent has been set with any of the other existing grading companies.  Perhaps a boardie with more experience or better memory can chime in on which other grading company (past or present) has ever graded a bootlegged comic as Universal and not notated it on the label as Counterfeit or Bootleg.  If none exist then, yes, I suppose CGC is correct in that way alone, that "No other third-party grading service compares to CGC..." Though, that's not something I would advertise or consider a good quality of an "accurate and impartial grading" service.

says "bro" = do not want anything to do with company

says "we stand by our decision (of grading bootlegs and have 9.9/10 grades for sale)" = continue to post on their chatboards, continue to buy the product (but I won't submit any more books, maybe)

(shrug)

Edited by jsilverjanet

On 8/15/2022 at 1:46 PM, jsilverjanet said:

says "bro" = do not want anything to do with company

says "we stand by our decision (of grading bootlegs and have 9.9/10 grades for sale)" = continue to post on their chatboards, continue to buy the product (but I won't submit any more books, maybe)

(shrug)

I have 75 books I've been holding a year, waiting for QC issues to sort themselves out, I have several books I've already sent to the states at my presser, and now this

For me to step back and wonder if I am going to have to pass having them graded is a big decision 

Having some *spoon* who has no idea how to run a platform tell his users tough kitty, yeah easy who not to do business with

Bro

Sell me some Spawns

On 8/15/2022 at 11:49 AM, jsilverjanet said:

not defending whatnot etc but when did we become "throw the baby.." oh wait, I forgot the chatboards have always been that way

my apologies

carry on

WhatNot is terrible for a fair amount of other reason besides the usage of "bro."

On 8/15/2022 at 12:54 PM, The Meta said:

Sell me some Spawns

everything i have is on ebay - FYI my wife who's the CEO says bro

On 8/15/2022 at 12:59 PM, DrunkWooky said:

WhatNot is terrible for a fair amount of other reason besides the usage of "bro."

this 100%

On 8/15/2022 at 1:59 PM, DrunkWooky said:

I agree, but it definitely compounds the person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed interest they've earned since arriving on the scene. 

On 8/15/2022 at 6:25 AM, MGH said:

Out of all this can definitively see a market for  marvel and others  to  move from blank sketch variants to blank acetate cover variants going forward 

Get those 9.9 and 10.0  yellow slabs for remarks etc on acetate

This is kind of my fear on how they (CGC/Black Flag/Crain) will skirt by this whole thing in a matter of months and come out looking like innovators.  The pros for an acetate cover is that it is made from natural resources such as wood pulp, is biodegradable, and can be composted/incinerated with no harm to the environment.  Other pros may be that they are reactive to heat and high temperatures meaning they may behave like regular comic covers and can be humidified and pressed with a heat press.  The cons with an acetate cover is that the fibers wrinkle easily and may leave permanent creases/wrinkles that can't be pressed out (like color break creases on regular covers).  The fibers are also easily susceptible to abrasion due to surface wear, rubbing, and friction.  This could result in a dulling, scratched, or loss of art from the cover.  Hence, not necessarily a more protective cover for the underlying paper cover art but a fancier way to display that underlying paper cover art.

My original thought was that the acetate covers may become a more protective cover for the underlying comic or variant that could be exploited for removing the acetate cover and grading the underlying variant cover especially if the publishers decide to only use the original 2 staples when constructing it. The standard going forward for publishers could be to use it as an add-on variant like the blank sketch cover or in addition to it as a bit of creativity for sketch covers.  Imagine an acetate cover with some generic or suggetive art that can become something more interesting when the blank cover under it is used by an artist to sketch on it creating a unique and interesting scene when overlaying the acetate cover over the sketch.  Too many opportunities may exist for this to remain a controversy for long.  Of course, the market will ultimately decide.

On 8/14/2022 at 11:46 PM, FFB said:

It was on page 8.  

Screenshot_20220814-234529_Chrome.jpg

no one has pointed this simple fact out to him on facebook?

On 8/15/2022 at 3:31 PM, kav said:

I messaged Liefeld on facebook.  will keep updated.

In addition to CGC "standing behind" these books, another statement Direct from CGC (if Rob asks):

transparency on how CGC arrived at our method of certifying Clayton Crain’s Ultimate Fallout comics with the attached acetate covers. For us, this was an unprecedented item to grade. After Mr. Crain spoke with us prior to C2E2, the rules we applied to his books:

• The additional cover had to be created by an established artist in the industry.
  • The comic to which the cover was attached had to contain a cover by that same artist.
  • A copy of the comic with the attached cover had to be submitted to us for inspection prior to certifying any copies.
Edited by chrisco37