• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

Well, now that there is some kind of "official" stance from Marvel on these types of shenanigans, maybe CGC will change its stance "moving forward" based on publisher communications?

On 8/16/2022 at 9:02 AM, gregreece said:

By participating in our program, please remember that all cover artwork must be created and approved by Marvel. Once submitted and accepted, no retailer has permission to use these comics or art to create new products, edit, or change the published comic in any way. This of course pertains to all past and current comics.  We have updated our deal sheets for all retailer variant cover requests moving forward to emphasize these points.

Not likely, but maybe?

On 8/16/2022 at 9:44 AM, williamblood said:

explains why bf didn't sell them to public at Boston, marvel must have contacted them

Yup, got their money "under the table" from "influencers". Didn't the IRS just hire tens of thousands of new employees? :shy:

Marvel is just now updating the wording in the store variant contract since nothing in the original contract prevented Black Flag (or another retailer) from doing this. So Black Flag gets a pass, all 3 books will keep their value, more people will wind up wanting them (ugh), thus creating more demand. 

On 8/16/2022 at 7:02 AM, gregreece said:

A friend of mine who has done exclusives in the past received this from Marvel:

Subject: Clarification of Exclusive variants

Hello everyone,

As you all continue to expand your businesses, we want to thank you for continuing to explore exclusive opportunities with Marvel through our exclusive retailer variant program.

By participating in our program, please remember that all cover artwork must be created and approved by Marvel. Once submitted and accepted, no retailer has permission to use these comics or art to create new products, edit, or change the published comic in any way. This of course pertains to all past and current comics.  We have updated our deal sheets for all retailer variant cover requests moving forward to emphasize these points.

As always, thank you for everything you do, and we appreciate your cooperation and continued support!

Best,

David

MontyPythonsLifeOfBrian-VJvCDPBr-subtitled.jpg

On 8/16/2022 at 8:00 AM, awakeintheashes said:

image.gif.4a077d71c4602955e2715ad0a1f8e5fb.gif

Yeah, CGC's out is the step in their process they outlined saying the acetate cover needs to be previously submitted to CGC and approved. Now that Marvel has made their stance clear, nothing will get past that step. At least it shouldn't. Well played, CGC. Well played.

On 8/16/2022 at 10:16 AM, BoognishRises said:

Marvel is just now updating the wording in the store variant contract since nothing in the original contract prevented Black Flag (or another retailer) from doing this. So Black Flag gets a pass, all 3 books will keep their value, more people will wind up wanting them (ugh), thus creating more demand. 

As far as we know, they may only be updating it to make it more explicit. I imagine they had terminology in there before that was more general.

On 8/16/2022 at 10:23 AM, DrunkWooky said:

Yeah, CGC's out is the step in their process they outlined saying the acetate cover needs to be previously submitted to CGC and approved. Now that Marvel has made their stance clear, nothing will get past that step. At least it shouldn't. Well played, CGC. Well played.

Maybe for Marvel, but I could easily see some small indy publisher, looking to create a new limited edition for a publication that has attracted interest, doing this to raise more money.

On 8/16/2022 at 9:23 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

As far as we know, they may only be updating it to make it more explicit. I imagine they had terminology in there before that was more general.

that's how i read the statement

On 8/16/2022 at 10:30 AM, shadroch said:

Nothing Marvel says or does changes the very real appearence that CGC sold grades.  At a minimum, I'd like to see CGC publicly donate any and all money they recieved  for this fiasco to The Hero Initiative.  I'd like to see them ban any future submissions by Black Flag and Crain, but I know that wouldn't happen. 

That would be nice, but I think there is a better chance of seeing an in-house Crain signing.