• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/18/2022 at 10:39 AM, CJ Design said:

Breaths should not be Held.......

I suspect if there was a response  will be another strawman like ' marvel states no retailer can  modify books but states nothing of the original artist modifying the book which are the rules we determined when assessing this artists  variant'   

On 8/17/2022 at 7:41 PM, jcjames said:

So... 14 out of 30 submissions (47%) came back 9.9 or 10

14 out of 30 books were modified to add an additional cover and two extra staples... and there were NO internal pages damaged during the process - in fact, the insides of these books were originally absolutely pristine, including the original covers, all edges, corners, staples and spine were in perfect alignment.

What are the odds!??

1 in 14,000,605.

I'd like some clarification on the two statements that CGC released. How can there be precedent for grading the book yet it was an unprecedented book to grade? That backpedal makes it seem that there is a lot more. A little transparency would be nice here.

I'm also curious about the grade distribution and how these books, handled to attach another cover a year after print, with two new staples got such high marks. Did BF send just those thirty books in? Did they send in all 750 copies of each book for 9.8, 9.9, and 10 prescreen? 30 books achieving those high grades seems fishy, 2,250 books jumping the line seems like a kick in the richard to all those folks who paid for grading services.

On 8/17/2022 at 3:57 PM, Dimez said:

Ok, so I have to ask when you received these 9.9+ grades. I’ve only had around 500 books graded and my opinions are shaped by my experiences and the experiences of others I know. Based on that I’m of the opinion that the vast majority of 9.9 and 10 grades were given out many many years ago. 

Honest to God I just picked a title out of thin air that I know has been submitted heavily to look at the numbers at CGCdata.com. Wolverine #1 from 1982. The book has had ~ 22,000 subs since CGC was founded. It has 27 9.9s and 3 10s. However of the 22,000 subs ~8,000 of them have come between Jan 2018 and now. Of those 8,000 copies there have been zero 9.9s and zero 10s. 

now obviously this is just a book picked randomly but I’d be willing to bet that this isn’t an outlier.

Between 2008 and 2013. So if that counts as "many, many years ago" then we are on the same page. lol

"I'm also curious about the grade distribution and how these books, handled to attach another cover a year after print, with two new staples got such high marks. Did BF send just those thirty books in? Did they send in all 750 copies of each book for 9.8, 9.9, and 10 prescreen? 30 books achieving those high grades seems fishy, 2,250 books jumping the line seems like a kick in the richard to all those folks who paid for grading services."

Chances???

million'.jpeg

Edited by CJ Design

On 8/17/2022 at 4:06 PM, manetteska said:

So Skeff was on-camera for (hosting?) the CGC-sponsored giveaway on whatnot? Is that accurate?

Yes, it's crazy how this has seemed to been brushed over by everyone here, this guys one of the main culprits of the whole acetate "influencer" issue and here he is Hosting a CGC/Whatnot event, nothing like spitting in the face of your customers. 

I guess CGC figures we'll give away some books and everyone will love use again.

And to make this worse someone was banned from the Jim Lee's show which is Jim's own channel supposedly and was told by CGC why he was banned so this keeps getting sketchier and sketchier by the day.

On 8/18/2022 at 11:13 AM, billsid said:

Yes, it's crazy how this has seemed to been brushed over by everyone here, this guys one of the main culprits of the whole acetate "influencer" issue and here he is Hosting a CGC/Whatnot event, nothing like spitting in the face of your customers. 

I guess CGC figures we'll give away some books and everyone will love use again.

And to make this worse someone was banned from the Jim Lee's show which is Jim's own channel supposedly and was told by CGC why he was banned so this keeps getting sketchier and sketchier by the day.

I’d post in the What Not Thread. Can’t hurt to get more eyes on it. Seems like a lot of people are starting to catch up on this thread.