• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/21/2022 at 1:42 AM, ExNihilo said:

One can only hope that we keep the pressure up that long that CGC is constantly reminded of it's wrongdoing.

They are not feeling pressure anymore, I don't think.

They first line of my made up statement from them is:  "We have heard all the complaining about our recent grading of the Black Flag Crain Acetate editions, and we would like to take this opportunity to say:  Give me a f****** break :eyeroll:"

FTFY (for you tone deaf Boardies) :baiting:

On 8/21/2022 at 3:25 PM, Axelrod said:

Don't you ungrateful whining losers understand that CGC, singlehandedly, revolutionized the comic book collecting industry?

On 8/21/2022 at 4:11 PM, Axelrod said:

We grade hundreds of thousands of comics every year.  The vast majority of those are completely fair, legitimate grades.

So if we give out a few gift grades to some of our good friends at Black Flag, or Heritage, or other prominent members of the collecting community, that's just good business, and ya'll can just chill about it.  

/s

On 8/21/2022 at 1:52 AM, Cman429 said:

I really wish he’d make an acetate overlay for xforce #1. I’d love to see what he’d add. All I’d want is the acetate, we all have dozens and dozens of xforce 1s, I’d be happy to staple it together myself. 

Genius. Acetate over a sketch cover allows you to commission an actual artist to fill in all the details that Liefeld can't be bothered to draw in the first place.

On 8/21/2022 at 12:45 PM, Bookery said:

Just to keep the arguments factual, so as not to distract from important facts... the issue discussed is NOT a bootleg or a counterfeit, as has been cited numerous times.  The underlying comic is an authorized reprint of UF4.  An UN-authorized all-new overlay has been added on top of the comic.  A bootleg is an illegal reprinting of an existing item, not something added to that item. This is an unauthorized variant, or a married cover (your choice).  And to that point... a lot of time is spent complaining about Black Flag and their artist.  But really... why would we care?  That's a legal matter between them and Marvel.  It could also be of concern to those who bought one under the belief it was an authorized variant.  But for the rest of us... (shrug)

The issue pertinent to the collectibles community is how these books were labeled and graded by CGC, and how they will deal with similar items in the future, so as we know what to expect.  It's just that simple.  The rest is just distraction.

I think "bootleg" is appropriate. Typically a bootleg in the music industry will be a legitimate performance by an artist, but the edition being issued is not approved by their recording company. That's essentially what's going on by pretending that these Black Flag monstrosities are legitimate "editions"

If only Marvel had released the original UF4 with the polybag stapled to the cover rather than sealed with that seam down the middle, it could have been ignored by CGC and all those copies that failed to get 9.8 due to the polybag seam bc impression might have come back with 9.9s or 10s... with the extra staples.

hm

On 8/22/2022 at 12:54 PM, jcjames said:

If only Marvel had released the original UF4 with the polybag stapled to the cover rather than sealed with that seam down the middle, it could have been ignored by CGC and all those copies that failed to get 9.8 due to the polybag seam bc impression might have come back with 9.9s or 10s... with the extra staples.

hm

Considering Bad Idea's all-acetate comic, and the fact that you can print on polybags, makes me think it won't be too long before we see a comic that's entirely printed on the plastic polybag material. Ideally such a book would also be enclosed in such a bag, and attached to the bag, so you effectively couldn't open the comic without severely damaging the comic.