• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
25 25

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/23/2022 at 3:41 PM, Pantodude said:

"The grade assigned will take into consideration the grade of the acetate cover as well as the interior book." 

@CGC Mike Hi there.  I know you expressed an inability to answer some of the prior questions, which perhaps went a bit beyond the four-corners of the announcment.   But could CGC at least clarify the above highlighted statement? 

Does this mean that the qualified grade of the book will start from the grade of the original book as if the acetate cover and related addional staples and holes were not there, but then be adjusted downward to account for the presence of the extra stapes and holes?  

(shrug)

I believe the new qualified grade will represent the grade of the underlying book the acetate cover....but ignore damage of the new staple holes.

Which to me....makes zero sense.  If you’re going to qualify these books, the grade should reflect the condition of the actual book & ignore the acetate cover and the damage incurred during its application completely.  Including the acetate cover as part of the overall grade is pointless.  Tell the consumer what the condition of the actual book ( pre-modifications ) is.  Don’t put a minty piece of acetate over a VF book & call it a 9.4

Pardon my language....but that’s bull:censored:

On 8/23/2022 at 3:51 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I believe the new qualified grade will represent the grade of the underlying book the acetate cover....but ignore damage of the new staple holes.

Which to me....makes zero sense.  If you’re going to qualify these books, the grade should reflect the condition of the actual book & ignore the acetate cover and the damage incurred during its application completely.  Including the acetate cover as part of the overall grade is pointless.  Tell the consumer what the condition of the actual book ( pre-modifications ) is.  Don’t put a minty piece of acetate over a VF book & call it a 9.4

Pardon my language....but that’s bull:censored:

Qualified has long since ignored defects that's why it is green Qualified.

Example a non witnessed signature blue label will consider the signature a defect.

Qualified green unwitnessed would be the grade ignoring the signature.

It isn't just for signatures, you should look up the Qualified description, it also pertains to mishaps of epic proportions and other.

On 8/23/2022 at 4:57 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Qualified has long since ignored defects that's why it is green Qualified.

Example a non witnessed signature blue label will consider the signature a defect.

Qualified green unwitnessed would be the grade ignoring the signature.

It isn't just for signatures, you should look up the Qualified description, it also pertains to mishaps of epic proportions and other.

I understand the uses of the qualified label.  :makepoint:

Read my post again, and see if you do.:baiting:

On 8/23/2022 at 4:04 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I understand the uses of the qualified label.  :makepoint:

Read my post again, and see if you do.:baiting:

Yes I get you, but now the label notes of "added after manufacturing: make sense as to why its qualified, I mean right? They're not "ignoring" it, but thanks for clarifying 

@CGC Mike to your knowledge now that it's green the "added after manufacturing" remains on the label?

That's why it's qualified, under qualified doesn't it state that it's for the book ignoring factors? I struggle to see a difference in a badly miswrapped book that would be lower grade (even staples in different places that is long time running as qualified) and how this qualified is somehow "getting special treatment ?" 

Sounds like they went back to the original rules to me but idk

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/23/2022 at 4:13 PM, Pantodude said:

So long as the maximum possible qualified grade is that of the original cover, then at least that seems like it's consistent with prevailing practice.  

Why wouldn't it be?

Is the contrast of 9.9's and 10's blues affecting our assumptions? I expect qualified to run under normal rules, I don't see why it seems it wouldn't but then I haven't seen results yet (shrug)

I'm sure someone is keeping track of the census, so I'll wait to see.  :)

On 8/23/2022 at 5:13 PM, Pantodude said:

So long as the maximum possible qualified grade is that of the original cover, then at least that seems like it's consistent with prevailing practice.  

But I don’t think that’s what it is.  Maybe I’m misunderstanding ( @CGC Mike ), but I believe CGC is going to grade the acetate as well, Which ultimately increases the overall grade of the book.

On 8/23/2022 at 5:18 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

but I believe CGC is going to grade the acetate as well, Which ultimately increases the overall grade of the book.

Hopefully what CGC Mike meant is that the condition of the acetate cover (e.g., if it's in tatters for some reason) could decrease the overall apparent grade, but otherwise not increase it.  That would be fair.  Someone added the cover, so he/she should remove it prior to submission if it could adversely affect the apparent grade.  :idea:   Anything and everything that discourages these post-manufacturing creations would be a good practice, especially coming from CGC.  

Edited by Pantodude

On 8/23/2022 at 4:22 PM, Pantodude said:

Hopefully what CGC Mike meant is that the condition of the acetate cover (e.g., if it's in tatters for some reason) could decrease the overall apparent grade, but otherwise not increase it.  That would be fair.  Someone added the cover, so he/she should remove it prior to submission if it could adversely affect the apparent grade.  :idea:   Anything and everything that disincentives these post-manufacturing creations would be a good practice, especially coming from CGC.  

Ah I get it now, I should have posted my 1st post in response to @Beyonder123 as a question.

I took it as a double cover grade at first, but that isn't specifically stated either so it is confusing until we see results. No worries. 

I took it as they'd grade the acetate, grade the book, and come up with a label, but that to me has always even terminology for double covers. I'd tag cgc Mike, but lol

Either it's not clear or wait and see?  :shy:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/23/2022 at 4:30 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ah I get it now, I should have posted my 1st post in response to @Beyonder123 as a question.

I took it as a double cover grade at first, but that isn't specifically stated either so it is confusing until we see results. No worries. 

I took it as they'd grade the acetate, grade the book, and come up with a label, but that to me has always even terminology for double covers. I'd tag cgc Mike, but lol

Either it's not clear or wait and see?  :shy:

Originally I thought it meant double cover edit