• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

I don't know much about double/triple cover error books, but do they take the highest graded cover or do they take the top cover?  In any case, I would think that an acetate cover (being a hardy plastic material) could be cut/manufactured in a way such that the corners would be sharp with no damage to any of the edges.  If we assume that the cover constitutes a large part of a books grade, then wouldn't it be easier to score a higher grade with such a cover?  I'm not saying that there was no foul play, but following that logic, I'm less surprised by the higher grades.

Of course, as I type this, I decided to look up recent books that should logically have similar sturdy covers to see how they fared.  Marvel Legacy was a lenticular cover, made of some sort of plastic.  Guess how many 9.9s and 10s there are?  Zero.  Amazing Spider-Man 789 Lenticular?  Zero.  Moon Knight 188?  Zero.  Mighty Thor 700?  Zero.  I think we can see where this is going.

On 8/23/2022 at 8:53 PM, ExNihilo said:

I kinda gave up on this thread and all of a sudden I see 10 unread pages.  :whatthe:  Glad CGC issued a statement to give the book a qualified label, even if it shouldn't have taken 2 weeks and almost 200 pages to come to the right conclusion.

My god.  I don't read the other boards, but that sounds horrible.

This is my biggest concern with the Signature Series program.  All it takes is one unscrupulous witness and suddenly the validity of everything is brought into question.  I refuse to submit signed books to the other company because of how they give verified sigs a yellow label (yes, it still states 'verified' as opposed to 'witnessed').  I hope we never cross that bridge, but you're right in stating that it is a week point in the system.

On 8/23/2022 at 9:35 PM, JC25427N said:

I'm not sure its even being talked about on the other boards (I don't go there either, but I just did a quick scan to see if it was being mentioned and it's possible I might have missed it), it was posted in that vendor's private facebook group. Which seems weird because whenever something happens here there's people from the other forums who can't post about it fast enough

Correct.  That is from the Facebook groups and the vendor's page.   I think the pressure to alter course on the doctored acetate covers was mostly due to outward pressure and what was going on over in the FB groups, IG, and YouTube.  This place obviously has influence but it is more carefully controlled.  Some of the comments on FB were a little more... "opinionated."

On 8/23/2022 at 11:55 PM, ExNihilo said:

I don't know much about double/triple cover error books, but do they take the highest graded cover or do they take the top cover?  In any case, I would think that an acetate cover (being a hardy plastic material) could be cut/manufactured in a way such that the corners would be sharp with no damage to any of the edges.  If we assume that the cover constitutes a large part of a books grade, then wouldn't it be easier to score a higher grade with such a cover?  I'm not saying that there was no foul play, but following that logic, I'm less surprised by the higher grades.

Of course, as I type this, I decided to look up recent books that should logically have similar sturdy covers to see how they fared.  Marvel Legacy was a lenticular cover, made of some sort of plastic.  Guess how many 9.9s and 10s there are?  Zero.  Amazing Spider-Man 789 Lenticular?  Zero.  Moon Knight 188?  Zero.  Mighty Thor 700?  Zero.  I think we can see where this is going.

Based on this $2k eBay sale, CGC graded the best of 3 covers. The 9.8 cover was the interior one. The 9.0 was on top. 

0D53A5A8-B336-4FB6-9BC6-248E21A286D3.jpeg

• Administrator
On 8/23/2022 at 1:54 PM, Baka_Oni said:

I'm curious where the actual line is on what they will/won't authenticate. There's some Counterpoint/Indie comics with nudity that are on the registry, so I'm assuming the line is when there's actual sexual acts. Tijuana bibles differ on the fact there's no artist or publisher, so there's nothing to identify/validate.

"Collectibles that display extreme nudity on the front or back will not be certified."

• Administrator
On 8/23/2022 at 2:15 PM, jsilverjanet said:
On 8/23/2022 at 2:07 PM, F For Fake said:

Indeed! The great Mr. Sprang has finally been freed!

I've updated my location to reflect the changes

Shame on me for thinking we are all grown ups here.  I thought I would be able to release a few spoon words so people might be able to say D ick Tracy etc...  After viewing multiple threads, I now see I have made a mistake.   I have added them back to the list and removed the comment from your location.

On 8/24/2022 at 9:39 AM, DoctorWyoming1 said:

316.jpg

The highest graded cover is always the grade on the label, unless the actual book has a defect that drops the grade below that number.  I believe there was an example of a book that got a grade less than the 2 cover grades due to interior tanning.

On 8/24/2022 at 8:17 AM, The Meta said:

Is there anyone here in the collecting community?

I need an adult

Apparently spoon and spoon are too much but a thread that constantly breaks all the rules is allowed to continue