• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/24/2022 at 4:28 PM, vas'rod said:

This is still so dodgy... They're treating this as if the product they're selling is plastic covers, and imho, it should be reputation... from now on we know that if someone pays enough they'll get whatever grade money can buy... 

Buy the book not the grade :baiting:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/24/2022 at 2:08 PM, Atom Man said:

The part where CBCS loses hundreds of high-grade books belonging to CMC is a pretty good part too...

I'm not watching a four hour YouTube video, and I'm not reading all of the 4,100+ replies in this thread.

Can someone point me to where this was discussed?

On 8/23/2022 at 10:50 AM, FFB said:

Mike, are you guys going to recall the existing Universal label graded copies?  I understand that you can't answer this question on your own volition, but since it seems to be the biggest unanswered question remaining (aside from the "how did 10 submissions get 1 10 and 3 9.9s," which I know won't get answered and I don't think anyone really expects CGC to answer), perhaps you could ask the higher ups what is going to be done with these.  

If you can't recall them because you don't know where they are or who owns them, the next best thing is to remove them from the census and issue a notice that whoever has the books should send them back in for Qualified grades and new serial numbers, which will appear in the census.  

I look forward to your response in a few weeks.  :wishluck:

I know it's somewhat poor form to respond to one's own post, but just to add one comment on this point.  I am already seeing certain goofy "influencer" clowns on YouTube speculating that the Universal Label 10 and 9.9s will "sell for a record price" now that CGC isn't giving out blue labels for these books any more.  

While I would hope that the collecting community is too smart for that, my 40+ years in this hobby tells me otherwise.  And when it happens, it's going to create yet another can of worms and scads of YouTube videos and posts about how the books just should have been removed from the census.  

Better to nip it in the bud now.  Just my 2 cents.  

On 8/24/2022 at 5:09 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Buy the book not the grade :baiting:

I think this was the focus a long time ago, as long as cgc would make it green label?

Seems like a far away dream now, I kind of concur.

On 8/24/2022 at 5:14 PM, FFB said:

I know it's somewhat poor form to respond to one's own post, but just to add one comment on this point.  I am already seeing certain goofy "influencer" clowns on YouTube speculating that the Universal Label 10 and 9.9s will "sell for a record price" now that CGC isn't giving out blue labels for these books any more.  

While I would hope that the collecting community is too smart for that, my 40+ years in this hobby tells me otherwise.  And when it happens, it's going to create yet another can of worms and scads of YouTube videos and posts about how the books just should have been removed from the census.  

Better to nip it in the bud now.  Just my 2 cents.  

in the past when books that were out in the wild that shouldn't have been, CGC has made attempts to recover

however I don't believe they would for these books

they maybe able to recover the other 20 graded books that had not sold at Boston Fan Expo but the orignal UF4 acetate (10 books) I believe are out in the wild

On 8/24/2022 at 5:13 PM, Domo Arigato said:

I'm not watching a four hour YouTube video, and I'm not reading all of the 4,100+ replies in this thread.

Can someone point me to where this was discussed?

he starts talking about it around the 55:30 mark. He reads the statements (in a private FB chat group) from the dealer affected. I'm not sure where else that information is posted.

On 8/24/2022 at 5:33 PM, southern cross said:

Four hours?

No pee break, smoke break, no halftime and sit down to eat some orange wedges 😢

Orange wedges? Like "a clockwork?  :roflmao:

On 8/24/2022 at 5:36 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Orange wedges? Like "a clockwork?  :roflmao:

For 4 hours, you might have to hm

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/24/2022 at 3:26 PM, jsilverjanet said:

in the past when books that were out in the wild that shouldn't have been, CGC has made attempts to recover

however I don't believe they would for these books

they maybe able to recover the other 20 graded books that had not sold at Boston Fan Expo but the orignal UF4 acetate (10 books) I believe are out in the wild

I'm aware that they are out in the wild.  I'm also aware that someone who spent nearly $2k for a blue label CGC 9.9 would almost certainly be unwilling to send it back to CGC just because they asked nicely.  

This is precisely why I suggest that they yank the certification numbers for all blue label Universal graded copies of this book now, before they start selling on the secondary market and create the impression that these are the "rarest of the rare." The books probably won't sell for a record price if their cert numbers aren't valid, and if they do sell for a high price once because some fool who can't wait to be parted with his money doesn't check the certification before buying, the problem is at least less likely to persist beyond that.

Edited by FFB

On 8/24/2022 at 5:40 PM, southern cross said:

Hot Damn, Orange Fam!

Smoker too but the wedge is where it's at, a "clockwork" was more referenced to the movie of the name because 4 hours is a little long.

I've done it for comic sales though so it's not unheard of, yet have to have the time and interest!

On 8/24/2022 at 5:58 PM, greggy said:

That's what the major card grading companies tend to do when some of their graded cards turn out to be altered or fake but they graded it as authentic anyways.

They either try to recover it but at the very least, they invalidate the serial number. 

Good to know!

Is there any liability on the original cert cost or anything?

Presumably that's only going to hack off one particular customer?

Hey, this is off topic but I'm going to be watching the opening of the 1986-87 Fleer Basketball box after the first box opened by Whatnot at the National turned out to be ummmm...unusual.

Hopefully, this box is legit. 

@Buzzetta

On 8/24/2022 at 4:00 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Good to know!

Is there any liability on the original cert cost or anything?

Presumably that's only going to hack off one particular customer?

Goldin auctions recently invalidated a sale of a Tom Brady rookie after before and after photos show that there were some obvious alterations were done to it to make it from a PSA 6.0 to 8.0.  The sale was for $54K so it wasn't an immaterial amount. 

On 8/24/2022 at 7:19 PM, greggy said:

Hey, this is off topic but I'm going to be watching the opening of the 1986-87 Fleer Basketball box after the first box opened by Whatnot at the National turned out to be ummmm...unusual.

Hopefully, this box is legit. 

@Buzzetta

You have a link?  So many of those boxes are supposedly tampered with.