• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any anyone ever built a display wall to show books at a con?
1 1

19 posts in this topic

I am setting up a Comic Show in Toronto in October and I need to come up with a way to display wall books.

Has anyone come up with or use a easy to build wall for displaying book / Slabs?

The first one is the way to go.  I'm not sure it was corrected in the instructions, but it shows the shelving being supported by hooks at the bottom ledge of the shelf, and wrapped with a zip tie at the top.  You just need to put the hooks at the top and let it hang, no zip ties.. 

The pvc thing is "how the government would do it", 10x more complicated, time-consuming, and expensive.

I have used this style of wall since 2012.

The components can be purchased at home reno type of places like Home Depot, Rona, etc.

A single wall consists of (without the banner at the top):

2 x 84" rails

2 x foot base

12 x bracket connectors

6 x shelves (they can cut the shelves to meet your needs, I chose 6 foot long to fit inside my vehicle. The shelves come in 10' long sections)

bunch of plastic ties

I leave the foot bases permanently attached to the main rails, I have actually drilled holes and screwed them to the main rails but my colleague @500Clubjust uses plastic ties to hold them in place. I bend the main rails slightly to create a lean backwards otherwise the wall stands straight up and the books will fall off the wall.

If you are by yourself when setting it up you can use chairs to lean the main rails against to attach the bottom wall with ties, and top wall with ties. Once you have done that the wall will stand on its own and you can finish. Your first time setting this up is the hardest, after setting it up 100 times I can do a wall section in 15 minutes.

You can figure out where to put the brackets that support the shelves onto the main rails. Once you have figured that out then mark the main rails for future use.

These pictures show the main rails have a brace, you don't need to include this piece I only added it to provide the strength to support my banner at the top but the banner is not necessary in your case.

My group of board members that I sell at shows with has had as many as 6 of these walls up full of comics. I like how versatile the setup can be, when you buy the shelves and have them cut to size you can have any width you want to fit in a con space. I have 6' shelves, I also have 4' shelves. I recommend 6' as they will fit inside a vehicle, and provide room for tables on the sides of the booth.

If you have questions feel free to ask. Good luck!

Image2.jpg

Image4.jpg

Image5.jpg

Image3.jpg

Image1.jpg

Image6.jpg

Edited by Artboy99

I went old school built mine out for wood. 
I used 3x3s and put a hinge at the top of each so they fold together. 
I braced the back with 3 boards and put in bolts with twist screws on them.
I can get 4 6 foot long closet racks on my rack. All post a pick in a minute.
Since I braced the sides and the back its sturdy as hell. Takes about 35 min
to set up or so.

20220514_092553.jpg

20220514_092551.jpg

20220514_092548.jpg

Edited by fastballspecial