• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Page Only - trimmed all sides - should it get a Universal label, a Qualified Label or a Restored Label?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Submitted a single page to be graded (first time, you can assume it's from a big book and/or a significant page). Kid who had it back in the day liked to cut pages pages from comics and trim the edges off leaving just the panels/art work. I bought this from an estate with other similarly trimmed pages, and even some lone panels. 

I just got notice that it's being given a Universal label. I am not going to argue with what label it gets, I sent it in mostly for authentication purposes. But I can see an argument for it being Qualified, but not Restored or Universal.

I don't think it's restored. Even though most "trimming" is Restoration, In this case trimming doesn't add anything to the page (it doesn't take the ratty or worn edges and make them look like they are sharp and new), in fact even though the page is intact trimming is completely removing a portion of the page, which is why I think it wouldn't be Universal. Qualified seems to be the best home for this type of page, because it has been altered, but by removal and therefor is less than what it originally was. It's similar to getting Qualified because of a missing coupon or page that doesn't affect the story).

Curious what others think or if any of the official CGC peoples can weigh in on this and explain the logic.

Again, I don't mind the Universal - it's more accurate than Restored, to my understanding. But, as I explained above, seems like it should be Qualified.

Thanks!

RESTORED - "to bring back to or put back into a former or original state"

This topic does bring up some interesting questions.  If an edge, or multiple edges of a comic are trimmed, it usually gets a restored grade.  But it was never actually "restored".  It was altered. 

Restoring a tattered edge would be to piece it back in, restoring it to its original shape and condition.  Just slicing it off does not, in my mind, restore it.

Trimming a cover is usually done to give it more even appearance, a more appealing presentation, improving the apparent grade.  Maybe through deceit, maybe just for aesthetics.  Still not thinking of it as restoration as much as alteration.

Trimming a page, which is not graded, I don't know.  It's just a page of a comic, authenticated.  Again, being trimmed did not restore anything.  Alter it, yes.  Does anyone care, in this case, since it does not receive a grade? 

Maybe someone likes the neatness, and it is worth more to them.  Someone else hates that it was trimmed, would prefer to see it in its raw, original state (like antiques), and will pay less for it now that it is trimmed. 

I don't see how putting it in a restored case helps in any way.  Unless the page was touched up, color replaced, like an actual attempt at restoration.

On 8/10/2022 at 5:38 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

you're trying to make the book appear...original

🎯

CGC assigns a Restored label when it recognizes intent to restore a comic's imagined original appearance. Truly restoring a comic book, as in putting old matter back in place, is likely impossible.

Trimming and color-touching are alterations meant to restore appearance, but efforts like cutting out panels or slicing a page down for framing are just personal projects.

The PG designation on a blue label is meant to identify pages. Since alterations made to a page can communicate the intent to restore the page's original appearance, and since a page can also be signed, it makes sense for a page to be eligible for both a purple label and a yellow label. A page doesn't need access to a green label though, as Qualification is intended for comic books, ones with...circumstances.

If I collected slabbed pages, I'd probably be doing so in order to display them like standard art prints. If they were going to be displayed amongst slabbed comics then I'd probably appreciate the blue label for consistency (as mentioned in another post.) The label already indicates PG, the pages are fine; why complicate things?

Edited by KirbyTown