• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buyers who use the last auction sale to buy a book
1 1

88 posts in this topic

On 8/9/2022 at 9:45 AM, blazingbob said:

I would like to ask that if you are this type of buyer to please remember one thing.

Somebody else paid that price to buy the book,  you did not.

If you were bidding in the auction you would have paid the next bid increment or more depending on what the high bidders top bid was.

I am not an auction house,  I price a book and then negotiate from it.  The price doesn't change in my hands as we are negotiating which is what it could be doing if you were bidding on it.  I am not extending your offer every 3 minutes every time an offer is made.  The only risk you have is that somebody else bids higher on my website or buys it outright.  

If I am over the auction house sale price then I am not obligated to sell the book at that price.  It is a reference for you to use but please remember "You didn't win the book that just sold". 

I'm assuming the price police are messaging you and telling you how wrong you are for pricing a book higher than the last sale. I think it's ok for potential buyers to negotiate a price based on recent sales, but it doesn't mean the seller has to agree. 

On 8/9/2022 at 11:17 AM, blazingbob said:

I'm really not concerned about the "pricing police"

My issue is that buyers want the "auction result" without bidding on the book that was in that auction.  

And not realizing that their bidding would influence the outcome of that auction.  

Aren't they just referencing the last sale price and asking for you to sell a book at that price?

On 8/9/2022 at 10:21 AM, Motor City Rob said:

Aren't they just referencing the last sale price and asking for you to sell a book at that price?

lol maybe if it was a real buy it now and not just a fake sale, also them not bidding on auctions for it to sell cheap and then go to BOB and say look I'll pay that is what he's talking about :) 

On 8/9/2022 at 10:17 AM, blazingbob said:

My issue is that buyers want the "auction result" without bidding on the book that was in that auction.  

And not realizing that their bidding would influence the outcome of that auction.  

On 8/9/2022 at 11:21 AM, Motor City Rob said:

If a book is in auction and it finishes at $12K what would it have taken to buy the book if the buyer in front of you were bidding?

If the increments were $250,  then maybe it would be $12,250.   Could have been more if the winner had a higher maximum bid.

Last Auction sale buyers have taken the risk out of bidding on the book.  They go to a fixed price seller and request them meet the auction sale or Last sale GPA result.

Which is why some sellers have told some buyers to buy the book from the GPA store.

On 8/9/2022 at 11:17 AM, blazingbob said:

Great point :applause:

As a business, one can only charge what the market will bear for a good or service.  In one sense, all the "power" is in the buyer's hands if you're selling a "want" rather than a "need."  The buyer doesn't have payroll, rent, inventory, taxes, profit, etc to pay, but the seller does and those costs don't get paid if the seller can't sell anything because the pricing doesn't meet what the market will bear.

I guess I am confused as to what situation we're criticizing. Pretend scenario:

• Superman #6 CGC 3.5 sells for $15k at auction.
  • You acquire a different Superman #6 CGC 3.5 a month later, pricing it at $16k.
  • Potential buyer offers $15k, referencing latest sale.

Are we criticizing the potential buyer for referencing the latest auction price? What if s/he had offered $15k without referencing GPA?

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

On 8/9/2022 at 11:58 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I guess I am confused as to what situation we're criticizing. Pretend scenario:

• Superman #6 CGC 3.5 sells for $15k at auction.
  • You acquire a different Superman #6 CGC 3.5 a month later, pricing it at $16k.
  • Potential buyer offers $15k, referencing latest sale.

Are we criticizing the potential buyer for referencing the latest auction price? What if s/he had offered $15k without referencing GPA?

I am referencing a situation where the auction result was literally a day earlier.  Pops up the auction result on the phone and presents it to me.

Edited by blazingbob