• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any ANTARCTIC PRESS Comics fans here?
3 3

95 posts in this topic

Just got in another great Copper Age AP slab!  This is a copy I've had for a while and managed to find Sonny Strait at a convention appearance.  There are very few comics credits for Strait; he's best known as an anime voice actor, specifically as the voice of Krillin in Dragon Ball Z.

CGC4412532-001_OBV.jpg

On 5/10/2024 at 9:09 AM, wardevil0 said:

Just got in another great Copper Age AP slab!  This is a copy I've had for a while and managed to find Sonny Strait at a convention appearance.  There are very few comics credits for Strait; he's best known as an anime voice actor, specifically as the voice of Krillin in Dragon Ball Z.

CGC4412532-001_OBV.jpg

:headbang: interesting!

Posted (edited)

Got word from a friend at AP that they had a warehouse find of 6 very high grade copies of SENTAI #2. He told me that they have not seen the light of day since 1994. He told me that they got an offer for $10,000 for all 6. He would not tell me who it was but apparently it was from someone from the music industry.

441855315_465370962688929_3805632504260860658_n.thumb.jpg.12aa8dfa85994ef5fd09ed4d6ff2fde5.jpg

Edited by APDallas

Just unpacked this last night: the impossibly rare NHS 70 subscriber edition!  Because of an ordering mistake, too few copies were printed to fulfil all orders so this version was made to be sent to subscribers so they could follow the story (their subscriptions were also extended to make up for it).  Copies that were sent out were signed on the back cover, but not this one...

NHS70SEfront.jpg

NHS70SEback.jpg

On 5/23/2024 at 7:16 AM, wardevil0 said:

Just unpacked this last night: the impossibly rare NHS 70 subscriber edition!  Because of an ordering mistake, too few copies were printed to fulfil all orders so this version was made to be sent to subscribers so they could follow the story (their subscriptions were also extended to make up for it).  Copies that were sent out were signed on the back cover, but not this one...

NHS70SEfront.jpg

NHS70SEback.jpg

That's an amazing copy of a simply impossible book. And it got into the wild unsigned! 

Do you know if this was a subscriber copy that Ben just didn't initial somehow, or if this was a proof or file copy or something along those lines?

On 5/23/2024 at 9:13 AM, Qalyar said:

That's an amazing copy of a simply impossible book. And it got into the wild unsigned! 

Do you know if this was a subscriber copy that Ben just didn't initial somehow, or if this was a proof or file copy or something along those lines?

Basically a file copy; I got it from Ben directly a few years ago.  It was never sent to a subscriber.  Since you specified "initialed," can I assume you're familiar with this one?

On 5/23/2024 at 8:28 AM, wardevil0 said:

Basically a file copy; I got it from Ben directly a few years ago.  It was never sent to a subscriber.  Since you specified "initialed," can I assume you're familiar with this one?

I don't own a copy myself, but yes. I'm friends with a very passionate NHS fan who owns one of the signed copies. It's not as nice as this one!

Posted (edited)
On 5/23/2024 at 9:44 AM, Qalyar said:

I don't own a copy myself, but yes. I'm friends with a very passionate NHS fan who owns one of the signed copies. It's not as nice as this one!

Another NHS fan out there!  Excellent.  Is he or she interested in possibly buying/selling/trading NHS items?  

I have another copy of this I picked up online, and it's absolutely wrecked! :sorry:  Chewed corner, stains, creases, but it's a double cover!  And yes, it's initialed.

Edited by wardevil0

On 5/23/2024 at 8:52 AM, wardevil0 said:

Another NHS fan out there!  Excellent.  Is he or she interested in possibly buying/selling/trading NHS items?  

I have another copy of this I picked up online, and it's absolutely wrecked! :sorry:  Chewed corner, stains, creases, but it's a double cover!  And yes, it's initialed.

I'll reach out and let you know! And yeah, her copy is also firmly in "beater" territory. I don't have many data points, but I suspect there aren't very many presentable copies of this! Well ... not that there are many copies in the first place, of course.

On 5/28/2024 at 10:06 AM, wardevil0 said:

Couldn't believe I found this one in such high grade in the wild... the dark, gradient color background shows every flaw.

CGC4416227-022_OBV.jpg

Nomura's Families of Altered Wars is absolutely ambitious, even if (at least in my opinion) it doesn't always work quite as he'd probably hoped. Still, it would be immensely challenging to put together a high-grade run of the entire story. Heck, it would be moderately difficult to put together any grade run of the entire story. The last five or so issues of the first AP run (which is sort-of-technically volume 2, after the Creative Frontiers run, although that got co-branded Antarctic by the end also, and there's Legacy numbering, and...) are probably in "books you can't find in the wild" territory. There are a couple of copies of #25 currently for sale online in various places for, erm, aggressive asking prices, but to be fair, I can count the number I've seen in person on my elbows.

This #17 is real nice. 

On 5/28/2024 at 11:22 AM, Qalyar said:

Nomura's Families of Altered Wars is absolutely ambitious, even if (at least in my opinion) it doesn't always work quite as he'd probably hoped. Still, it would be immensely challenging to put together a high-grade run of the entire story. Heck, it would be moderately difficult to put together any grade run of the entire story. The last five or so issues of the first AP run (which is sort-of-technically volume 2, after the Creative Frontiers run, although that got co-branded Antarctic by the end also, and there's Legacy numbering, and...) are probably in "books you can't find in the wild" territory. There are a couple of copies of #25 currently for sale online in various places for, erm, aggressive asking prices, but to be fair, I can count the number I've seen in person on my elbows.

This #17 is real nice. 

Add in a Ninja High School crossover and I'm there for it... the best I've found of 21 so far:

CGC4416227-023_OBV.jpg