• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Open discussion off the c2e2 drama. Are influencers destroying the hobby?
3 3

151 posts in this topic

On 8/11/2022 at 2:54 PM, Monstertruck97 said:

Same BS times 100, bigger price tag.  ComicTom seems like an energetic young man or what, but in the beginning they didn't think they would get this many fans and it eventually becomes less about the viewer and more about opportunity, greed and fame.

One (1) on eBay trying to raise over $10k for USA CHARITY so some good will come out of Black Flag UF 4 acetate cover C2E2 exclusive variant:

Edited by aardvark88
sp.

On 8/11/2022 at 7:48 PM, aardvark88 said:

One (1) on eBay trying to raise over $10k for USA CHARITY so some good will come out of Black Flag UF 4 acetate cover C2E2 exclusive variant:

Um, no. These sales are not real.

If you go to the other thread, people are so opposed to all of this, they are bidding them up and not paying or reporting them.

And it was mentioned in one of the thousands of posts that 10% was going to charity, so nothing like banking nine grand if the sale was true.

On 8/10/2022 at 10:15 AM, Old Fashion PB and J said:

Has comic collecting become a popularity contest? I watch these "influencers" hype books, create "live" sales feeds of drek, and essentially prop each other up to gain some weird sense of "fame". I look and I wonder what effects this is really having on the hobby? They are manufacturing and pumping their own variants, acting like "live auctions" are talk show with "special guests" and ultimately driving the hobby with "what's hot" lists. I would love to pretend the "hot list" or "what should you buy with $100.00" isn't having a direct effect on the market, but if you watch the videos and then Ebay you see what is happening. I don't want to call it market manipulation, but why are you really acting like "the Porcupine" 1st appearance is a book you NEED because he will be in phase 760 of Marvels MCU? It feels a little shady IMO.

And then you have the "popularity contest" of people buying books in their live auctions just to be seen? It strikes me as odd. I realize that some people like attention and some don't, (but in a hobby that seemed to have been built around an inclusive and humble environment) we are propelling some very polarizing people into the spotlight and having some down right sh%tty people being looked at as ambassadors for the hobby. 

Maybe I am alone in this, maybe I am not. Like I said, I don't really know these people. But I have to wonder if the direction these people are steering young collectors is good for the hobby as a whole. The C2E2 variant? That book is a different problem all together, but the fallout we are seeing from the actions of "Instagram and YouTube influencers" has me raising an eyebrow as to WHY they are here, and what they are taking from the hobby.

:hi: Pat.

I'm an "influencer."

Everyone, purchase ... whichever comic book you wish.

However, you do not want to purchase, ever, because they are absolutely horrendous, terrible, just terrible, Detective Comics 401 to 500. You are better off purchasing bags full of air than Detective Comics 401 to 500. Remember, Detective Comics 401 to 500 are not worth your money.

On 8/12/2022 at 5:10 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

I'm an "influencer."

However, you do not want to purchase, ever, because they are absolutely horrendous, terrible, just terrible, Detective Comics 401 to 500. You are better off purchasing bags full of air than Detective Comics 401 to 500. Remember, Detective Comics 401 to 500 are not worth your money.

NotTheDroids.png.34483f9ad578441b933bb1269b188f8d.png

On 8/11/2022 at 7:50 AM, Ed Hanes said:

Yeah, I've seen 'Fake Famous' and 'The Boys' ....(LOL) 

I do have a marketing friend with a five year old...he talks a lot about how people use Tik Tok as influencers. especially ones with kids..I refuse to sign up for Tik Tok...I just don't get it (seems to take a certain personality type) but koodos to those who know how to exploit it and make money

some of these influencers use females to entice views, they don't even have to be attractive (like nerdy). for some reason, it tends to get views and I'm guessing the viewers stick around. i don't watch or follow any of these clowns, so it doesn't apply to me. 

On 8/11/2022 at 11:54 AM, Monstertruck97 said:

Same BS times 100, bigger price tag. These people in line in Boston are going to shell out 100 dollars per book???? Will they even have a platform to sell them before it becomes a ten dollar book?

I believe in having the hobby pay for itself and my goal is an AF#15 (like everyone else) and I naively started watching these influencers three years ago and can honestly say, their predictions and my following "rumors" have not work out all that well. I have sadly paid 30 dollars for "hot artist, limited to 500 issues" variants that are worth half that now. By the time you send in the book and it's returned in graded form three years later, the book has tanked as the collecting community moved on to something else. 

Did everyone invest in that first appearence of Robin King?

My neighbor sits in front of his TV every morning and afternoon and runs to his computer whenever Jim Cramer tells him (all his viewers) about a hot stock tip. My neighbor has not done well. My neighbor doesn't even know what a PE/Ratio is.

In closing, these influencers do what influencers do. Watch them because Skeff seems like a great guy with his big beard energy or ComicTom seems like an energetic young man or what, but in the beginning they didn't think they would get this many fans and it eventually becomes less about the viewer and more about opportunity, greed and fame.

Take a look at Comic Tom's mystery boxes and tell me that's not a scam. 

On 8/10/2022 at 10:32 AM, Beastfeast said:

It was only a matter of time before they came into the hobby.  If you've been around for video game streamers, box crackers, professional product reviewers, etc., you knew the absurd and performative "hype" that goes along with them.  The reason comic influencers are using it is because it works.  

Look at the thumbnails used for the most popular YouTube videos - It's all dumb surprise face and terrible layout.  That's what the kids are clicking on, though.  

It's not destroying anything except gullible peoples' wallets, right now.  However, when new collectors get a sour taste and feel cheated, they don't tend to stick around.  

Yeah this is the problem in a nutshell. I mean any intelligent adult would watch a show or two and go these are kids that don't have
jobs. 

On 8/12/2022 at 2:03 PM, graffix13 said:

Don't be mad at the "influencers" YouTube celebs, "they are just trying to put food on the table for their families". Just pay the 1000% mark up and enjoy your new comic. Sheesh.

Wow. This guy sucks. Do people actually watch this guy sitting in his mom's basement sharing his opinions? On a regular basis? wow

On 8/12/2022 at 8:10 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

I'm an "influencer."

I'm still working on my 500-600 run before they get out of range. Stupid killer Croc and Vantreliquist keys spiked for lord knows what reason. 400-500 I have the keys, but need to upgrade 411.

On 8/11/2022 at 5:47 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Boiler room mentality, similar to the frantic activity here a few years ago at the time of comics such as The Sixth Gun, over in the Moderns section. Which itself didn’t go too well in the end.

Oh man, the sixth gun BEATING many took

On 8/12/2022 at 8:38 PM, Lpgk said:

some of these influencers use females to entice views, they don't even have to be attractive (like nerdy). for some reason, it tends to get views and I'm guessing the viewers stick around. i don't watch or follow any of these clowns, so it doesn't apply to me. 

Why do you need to be so rude? 

Grow up. 

On 8/10/2022 at 10:15 AM, Old Fashion PB and J said:

Has comic collecting become a popularity contest? I watch these "influencers" hype books, create "live" sales feeds of drek, and essentially prop each other up to gain some weird sense of "fame". I look and I wonder what effects this is really having on the hobby? They are manufacturing and pumping their own variants, acting like "live auctions" are talk show with "special guests" and ultimately driving the hobby with "what's hot" lists. I would love to pretend the "hot list" or "what should you buy with $100.00" isn't having a direct effect on the market, but if you watch the videos and then Ebay you see what is happening. I don't want to call it market manipulation, but why are you really acting like "the Porcupine" 1st appearance is a book you NEED because he will be in phase 760 of Marvels MCU? It feels a little shady IMO.

And then you have the "popularity contest" of people buying books in their live auctions just to be seen? It strikes me as odd. I realize that some people like attention and some don't, (but in a hobby that seemed to have been built around an inclusive and humble environment) we are propelling some very polarizing people into the spotlight and having some down right sh%tty people being looked at as ambassadors for the hobby. 

Maybe I am alone in this, maybe I am not. Like I said, I don't really know these people. But I have to wonder if the direction these people are steering young collectors is good for the hobby as a whole. The C2E2 variant? That book is a different problem all together, but the fallout we are seeing from the actions of "Instagram and YouTube influencers" has me raising an eyebrow as to WHY they are here, and what they are taking from the hobby.

Influencers can only influence a market if people buy into the BS

Something I think collectors aren't too stupid to fall into