• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Biggest Collecting Goal You Have Achieved (and How Long Did It Take)?
1 1

57 posts in this topic

I have about 5 covers I really want. I probably could punt the rest and just have those and be happy. About 3 years ago, after decades of looking, cover 1 showed up at 1am on eBay BIN. 

I know where two is (missed it by an hour) and I just found 5 but he wants what I think is double high market and I’m just not there yet.

On 8/16/2022 at 1:21 PM, batman_fan said:

I really wanted a Peanuts strip for about 5 years.  They are never in short supply but I was waiting for the right one to show up but every time the right one showed up someone else thought it was their right one and beat me in bidding.  Fast forward to someone deciding to part with one that I loved.  It now resides on my wall (top one in attached photo).  Bad thing is after seeing it in person, I became obsessed with Peanuts strips and now own 7 total.

4022BF98-5466-44E1-8359-5D6D91AB2ED2.jpeg

Look at the bright side: they have real worth. 

Barring a big lottery win, the death of a rich relative I don't know about, or discovering a huge, high quality Silver Age collection in the wild that the owner will sell reasonably, my collecting "goals" aren't really achievable.  I can live with it.

I remember reading a comic and it changed my life and view of the world. I thought someday it would be great to have that page art, and this was even before I knew about collecting art as a thing.  

About 15 years later, now I am working and I discover art collecting.  In my first year, after I have maybe three pieces, it appears on ebay and my friend buys it for me.  I figure I am done collecting at that point.

Then later I run across a few other pages that I recall thinking when reading the comic when I was young, that I would like to have that page.  I found those too, mostly on ebay.  

Then maybe 5 years later, I see Heritage has an art cover that I had thought that would be my last one collecting.  Then I won the auction.

I guess that means I have been blessed greatly.  I still collect art, and there are a few things that I would want that I am looking for.  But fortunately I got pretty much all of the grails that I had originally wanted.

Edited by Peter L

My grails were the two Worlds Fair comics from 1939/1940.  They were always out of touch and by the time I could afford them, other books seemed to be better investments.  I bought reprints of the books and display them for their covers, but have never opened them. 

Never owned a Cap 1. Briefly owned a #2 but was offered $800 more the day I won it at auction so I never even got to hold it. 

On 8/16/2022 at 1:18 PM, shadroch said:

My grails were the two Worlds Fair comics from 1939/1940.  They were always out of touch and by the time I could afford them, other books seemed to be better investments.  I bought reprints of the books and display them for their covers, but have never opened them. 

Never owned a Cap 1. Briefly owned a #2 but was offered $800 more the day I won it at auction so I never even got to hold it. 

Those two World’s Fairs have been on my list for a while but have never found the “right” ones to buy.  Seems like when they are in an auction, there is always something I want more.

On 8/16/2022 at 2:24 PM, batman_fan said:

I searched for this cover for over 10 years.  The splash got listed on EBay quite a few years back.  I was watching it closely because I planned on winning it but the seller sold it before the auction closed.  I still believe it would have gone for more had he let the auction play out.  Fast forward to several years back and I have been posting I was looking for the cove on the boards and had it advertised in my signature line for several years when out of the blue the owner of the cover contacts me and is willing to sell.  We finalize on a price, I pay and now it hangs on my wall.

8E657994-B74D-44D7-9134-363032844C7B.jpeg

One of the best covers of the 1990s and one of the best Batman covers ever. I said it before but I would take this cover over anything in Dark Knight Returns or Killing Joke easily.