• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tom Palmer passes away at 81.
1 1

27 posts in this topic

Tragic. One of my all-time favourite inkers, and my favourite over Neal Adams' pencils. Many prefer Giordano in that respect, but I loved Palmer's Bronze Age Avengers and X-Men work.  Also, Tomb of Dracula with Gene Colan, and, well, he never failed to add synergistically to whatever pencil art he embellished.

I was thinking again about how few of my Bronze Age icons are left now, focusing too much on writers and pencil artists, forgetting Palmer.  A bad oversight, I'll admit.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 8/19/2022 at 3:17 PM, Frederic9494 said:

RIP

Never liked his work over John Buscema's but he was the perfect match to Gene Colan's pencil work.

Came here to say exactly this.  
Palmer seemed really heavy-handed over Buscema, but him with Colan was a match made in heaven.  

On 8/19/2022 at 8:36 PM, djzombi said:

Came here to say exactly this.  
Palmer seemed really heavy-handed over Buscema, but him with Colan was a match made in heaven.  

His Bronze Age inking was quite smooth, but much, much heavier in the second run of Avengers he did with Buscema in the Copper Age. Quite noticeable.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 8/19/2022 at 8:02 PM, Bird said:

On 80s Avengers I wonder if Buscema did more than roughs/breakdowns?

Look at how he handles Colans smoky magic here on this page (that is on my downstairs wall)

colanTOMB44p22.jpg

Here's another from that issue that I own. It looks fairly straightforward but there is a lot going on here inking wise.

colanToD44p1splash.jpg

Gorgeous!  
And yeah, I suspect Palmer was more of a "finisher" on breakdowns by Buscema.  

On 8/20/2022 at 10:01 AM, Chaykin Stevens said:

Tom Morgan finished that page over Herb Trimpe's breakdowns.  Morgan was influenced by Palmer but not in the same league.

Crap. Well let me get rid of that bad info .