• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why are inserts from comic books, getting graded, as they are technically incomplete
2 2

9 posts in this topic

Hey there, I was wondering why preview inserts that are found in comic books, are even being graded by CGC? The inserts themselves are physically the centerfold of the comic that it was pulled from. The comic is essentially destroyed in order to pull the insert out. Examples are the Sonic insert (which contrary to popular belief is not the one distributed separately as a promotional item), the MASK preview from DC, the Masters of the Universe preview from DC, the Teen Titans preview from DC Comics Presents 26 and the Atari Force preview from DC. They share the same staples as the rest of the book, and were never distributed separately. Should these items not get an NG like a single page does, or at best get a qualified grade as they are literally incomplete? 

D45BC5BC-DC1A-4874-BB4C-6C2609FFD21E.jpeg

Edited by bellrules

• Administrator

Hello,

Thank you for your message. These two items were distributed as inserts and as promotional items. Because the inserts are indistinguishable from the complete promotional copies they are all graded as promotional copies in this case. Let us know if you have any other questions.  

On 8/24/2022 at 7:03 AM, MattM CS said:

Hello,

Thank you for your message. These two items were distributed as inserts and as promotional items. Because the inserts are indistinguishable from the complete promotional copies they are all graded as promotional copies in this case. Let us know if you have any other questions.  

I'm sorry but the newsprint versions were never sold or distributed separately, they were inserts. The Sonic preview comic was printed on glossy paper and the Master of the Universe preview was reprinted separately in 2009 on glossy paper and came packaged with action figures. Those are the only way those two books were distributed separately. The newsprint paper versions have all been pulled out of comic books and should not be receiving a grade. Why else would the have Advertisement or preview typed up at the top? It was to differentiate the pages from the comic book or magazine that they were included in. 

B5EBB3DC-F060-4322-A35C-27DCC655BB52.jpeg

F9F45441-0648-4D47-99A6-B426F6372C1D.jpeg

Edited by bellrules

• Administrator

@bellrulesWe have been in contact with creators of this content directly and have received confirmation that these were not just distributed inside comics, but copies were also handed out on their own. Since there is no way to definitively tell them apart, we decided to grade all copies. Let us know if you have any other questions. 

On 8/24/2022 at 12:51 PM, MattM CS said:

@bellrulesWe have been in contact with creators of this content directly and have received confirmation that these were not just distributed inside comics, but copies were also handed out on their own. Since there is no way to definitively tell them apart, we decided to grade all copies. Let us know if you have any other questions. 

Really? I’m surprised. Who was contacted? Was it DC, the publisher, the toy companies, the video game companies? Would most of these come from Sparta?

• Administrator

@bellrules In any cases, our Head Graders will contact the proper professionals pertaining to research involving specific collectibles. These conversations occurred over 10  years ago for these collectibles and the details surrounding these conversations are not privy to the public. I apologize as I can not full answer your requests. Let us know if you have any other questions. 

On 8/24/2022 at 2:20 PM, MattM CS said:

@bellrules In any cases, our Head Graders will contact the proper professionals pertaining to research involving specific collectibles. These conversations occurred over 10  years ago for these collectibles and the details surrounding these conversations are not privy to the public. I apologize as I can not full answer your requests. Let us know if you have any other questions. 

MAR 1979 has information contrary to this from people at DC themselves, can you please provide sources as I think this might be a major grading error being done by CGC. 

1982 Masters of the Universe DC NN promo was never distributed separately.  All experienced collectors know this as well as DC historians Paul Levitz and Bob Rozakis .  Perhaps a mistake was made on CGC's end. I invite actual evidence to the contrary to be displayed.

This preview was only available as DC's 16 Page Comic Preview Insert. No other insert was included in as many different series as this MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE PREVIEW which appeared in the November 1982 issues of 16 different ongoing series which was twice as many as MASK (preview insert included in 8 ongoing series issues) and eight times as many as THE ATARI FORCE (preview insert included in 2 ongoing series). These were the only three inserts which appeared in more than one series from the entire run of these specials beginning in October 1980 and ending in September 1985. The "insert" was attached with the same staples as the main title's pages. Pages 8 and 9 of the insert form the centerfold of all complete issues in which it was included. It was not released by DC as a stand-alone. This preview appears in the issues of the following comics:

Action Comics #537
All-Star Squadron #15
Arak, Son of Thunder #15
Batman #353
Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo Crew #9
Daring New Adventures of Supergirl #1
DC Comics Presents #51
Detective Comics #520
The Fury of Firestorm #6
Justice League of America #208
The Legion of Super-Heroes vol. 2 #293
The New Adventures of Superboy #35
The New Teen Titans #25
Superman #377
Warlord #63
Wonder Woman #63 

On 8/26/2022 at 10:43 PM, bellrules said:

MAR 1979 has information contrary to this from people at DC themselves, can you please provide sources as I think this might be a major grading error being done by CGC. 

1982 Masters of the Universe DC NN promo was never distributed separately.  All experienced collectors know this as well as DC historians Paul Levitz and Bob Rozakis .  Perhaps a mistake was made on CGC's end. I invite actual evidence to the contrary to be displayed.

This preview was only available as DC's 16 Page Comic Preview Insert. No other insert was included in as many different series as this MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE PREVIEW which appeared in the November 1982 issues of 16 different ongoing series which was twice as many as MASK (preview insert included in 8 ongoing series issues) and eight times as many as THE ATARI FORCE (preview insert included in 2 ongoing series). These were the only three inserts which appeared in more than one series from the entire run of these specials beginning in October 1980 and ending in September 1985. The "insert" was attached with the same staples as the main title's pages. Pages 8 and 9 of the insert form the centerfold of all complete issues in which it was included. It was not released by DC as a stand-alone. This preview appears in the issues of the following comics:

Action Comics #537
All-Star Squadron #15
Arak, Son of Thunder #15
Batman #353
Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo Crew #9
Daring New Adventures of Supergirl #1
DC Comics Presents #51
Detective Comics #520
The Fury of Firestorm #6
Justice League of America #208
The Legion of Super-Heroes vol. 2 #293
The New Adventures of Superboy #35
The New Teen Titans #25
Superman #377
Warlord #63
Wonder Woman #63 

Did CGC actually speak with qualified DC representatives? Can we be sure they were not summer interns? Or just anyone who picked up the phone or responded to an email? 

CGC can simply reach out to renowned DC historians Bob Rozakis or Paul Levitz (former DC publisher too). They will confirm everything. Or even contact Tom Brevoort who loves stuff like this and has regular contact with Messrs Rozakis and Levitz.

The real question is will Blackrock/CGC initiate any true action that may result in the tiniest amount of potential revenue loss?  With the case of the 1982 Masters of the Universe NN preview that might amount to several hundred dollars a year in submissions.  Yes as mentioned the tiniest amount of revenue, its less than bottom line stuff and yet I feel they will never ever do that. If anything they will continue to expand in the arena of dolling out the formally hens tooth rare 10 MINT grades to certain "Social Media influencers" for altered-modified comics or grading invisible comics.

Edited by MAR1979