• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ebay Vault: would you keep your comics there?
1 1

18 posts in this topic

I'm going to guess that 95% of everyone here would be a resounding 'No', but I was curious to hear if some people (Dealers, consignors, etc) would consider using it if/when they expand into other high-end graded collectibles.

For me (and probably most others) owning the book, displaying the book and being able to hold the book is a big part of collecting comics - I have books I have bought books thinking "this will be way up 10 years from now", but I also enjoy owning it, so keeping it locked away somewhere else and looking at a digital image of it wouldn't do it for me. But, card collectors must not have the same amount of people in the hobby that feel that way - evidenced by the use of the Ebay Vault. Thoughts?

What the…?.?.? Does it look like that 

https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/news/ebay-launches-its-vault-for-trading-cards/

looks lot better than the back of my closet and makes it easier to sell when needed….hmm need to read up on this and hope it becomes available for comics…

PS does anyone know what cgc vault looks like? Just curious

On 8/23/2022 at 3:46 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I'm going to guess that 95% of everyone here would be a resounding 'No', but I was curious to hear if some people (Dealers, consignors, etc) would consider using it if/when they expand into other high-end graded collectibles.

For me (and probably most others) owning the book, displaying the book and being able to hold the book is a big part of collecting comics - I have books I have bought books thinking "this will be way up 10 years from now", but I also enjoy owning it, so keeping it locked away somewhere else and looking at a digital image of it wouldn't do it for me. But, card collectors must not have the same amount of people in the hobby that feel that way - evidenced by the use of the Ebay Vault. Thoughts?

Like you, for me, the joy of owning a book is, you know, actually HAVING the darn thing. I am aware of the value, and I do my best to protect these "investments", but more than anything, I'm just happy to have them. Which means i want to take them down, look at them, every once in a while flip through the pages (or turn the slab over in my hands). If I was just interested in investments, my money would be in stocks and more abstract things like that. I'm a collector, so I want my collection with ME.

On 8/24/2022 at 1:12 PM, ThothAmon said:

As a passive asset inflation is already taking its toll then add in the fees associated with the vault and any thinking about appreciating value is wishful. 

Yeah, I have no idea what fees are associated with it. Frankly, I’m kind of amazed that that is a service worth offering - it’s either a genius move or a massive tax deduction.

Vault is similar to how MCS stores your inventory once you consign it with them, and then ships it for you when it sells.

MCS also allows you to reconsign consignable items without taking physical possession; any eligible comic becomes a tradable asset and MCS becomes the floor. The host loves this because they get to earn consignment fees and buyer premiums over and over on the same comic, avoiding the need to acquire and ship additional consignment items in order to achieve the same result.

Vault realizes the ultimate destiny of slabbing, which was to commodify the slabbed product so it could be treated and traded as fungible. Vault becomes the trading floor. This is intended to serve speculators playing in a fussy market, as waiting on a shipment only to relist the item may cause the flipper to miss the flip.

The vault is in Delaware. Bay collects an instant transfer fee of 3% from the buyer when there's a sale, but sales tax is deferred to the withdrawing sale. There's also a withdrawal fee based on the selling price. There are no selling fees or final value fees when you keep the item in the vault. There will be a monthly storage fee, but it's waived for 2022.

(did my best to summarize, this information may change or may have changed, please verify at Bay and all that...)

Edited by KirbyTown

On 8/26/2022 at 7:07 AM, mysterymachine said:

It was created for collectors who only see the books as a commodity and has no love for the book itself..

Close.

It is for people who see the books as a commodity. Collecting has nothing to do with it.  For the investor, this is a very useful tool.  It's not for collectors. 

On 8/26/2022 at 3:07 PM, Chomp said:

I just saw this over there. The best response so far is "Sooooo...which employees' home is the vault in?"

lol

I get it!

On 8/23/2022 at 3:46 PM, Dr. Balls said:

For anyone apprehensive about the safe and secure storage of their books, who knows better than to use a public storage facility, doesn't want to use a safety deposit box, and flat out doesn't trust ebay to safeguard their items, what about Heritage acting as a "Vault"? I'm sure their facilities are just as secure as Ebay or other vault-like storage depots for hobby collectibles, and I've never heard of any consignor's items disappearing into thin air. What about some type of "pre-consignment" storage at Heritage? Books kept secure by Heritage until they are directed to either offer for sale to the public as BINs/make offer, or at auction? If you're concerned about break-ins or safeguarding your pieces at your current location or in your current situation, possibly between homes, or spend a lot of time away from home and have not opted for some type of secure storage off the premises, consignment or pre-consignment through Heritage may possibly offer the secure solution? 

Edited by James J Johnson

I have a stack of moderns that I graded a while back that I know will appreciate in a year or two due to movie spec. That being said they take up a lot of room that I'd love to get back. I have no attachment to them other than they are funding my PC collection. My eventual plan was to ship them to MCS in a year, but if someone wants to hold them now for me, I'm interested.

It seems to me that the eBay (and now Beckett) vaults were likely designed with slabbed cards in mind. You know, the endless modern "1 of 1" cards of rookies who have never played a minute in the bigs that sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars these days? Frankly, to the people who trade in them, those cards are no different than precious metals, crypto or stocks. It's an asset to be traded. Not a sentimental collectible to be handled.

Granted there are plenty of speculative elements to comic collecting, but we're still way behind the curve compared to these modern card "investors."