• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on a Possible Grade Bump
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their opinion on my book. It's an Amazing Spider-Man 300 Newsstand Edition CGC 9.6. It has never been pressed, but unfortunately no grader's notes available.  The only visible defect is the tiny tear in the lower left corner. I see no other creases, bends, or spine stress that break colour. The scuff marks you see are on the slab. Do you think it would be worth sending in for pressing for a possible grade bump?

asm1.jpg

asm2.jpg

asm3.jpg

Edited by JRich282

As mentioned above

https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

Based on the missing paper I think 9.6 is correct.  While I do feel CGC was a bit more strict during era of your slab, today ASM300 is highly scrutinized. Therefore a 9.6 then and 9.6 now.

The book does present nicer than it's grade, however the ow/w probably offsets that.

Lastly with Q/C seemingly being a thing of the past at CGC, mishandling during the process thus a lower grade is more realistic than a grade bump up on your copy.

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/23/2022 at 6:56 PM, shadroch said:

Sell it now, wait six months and use the money to buy a 9.8.

Brutal.

I haven't checked the price motion, but if OP did this six months ago the wait would have yielded 109 additional 9.8s to choose from. If OP held, there'd be another 270 9.6s to compete against.

Venom tops the census at 30,318; Carnage and Spawn are at least a couple of years behind.

On 8/23/2022 at 5:19 PM, JRich282 said:

Do you think it would be worth sending in for pressing for a possible grade bump?

If the difference wasn't the top break, you could re-submit multiple times until you got your single-level bump. Because it's the 9.6/9.8 break, the handling alone could put it in jeopardy, especially if you go lower tier right now.

It's encouraging that this has a 9.6 in OG plastic, but the defect isn't standard and that removes the grader deniability that might aid your 9.8 attempt. There's just no way to accidentally overlook serious material loss.

Edited by KirbyTown

On 8/25/2022 at 9:46 AM, Engr62 said:

I would keep it as-is.  With that said, you would stand a very good chance of getting a bump in the page quality.  That era of CGC grading was pretty tough on page color.

I do wonder if it has to do with shift in Monitor/Screen tech from CRT to LCD, LED etc

Or if their OWL strips were printed different then?

Could just be a standards change I guess. 

As for my own personal collection, I'm more than fine with ow/w in original "OG" slabs, I'm on the fence with the 2nd gen slabs, with the most current slab generation I now tend to avoid ow/w  unless pre-1980 book.

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/23/2022 at 6:19 PM, JRich282 said:

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their opinion on my book. It's an Amazing Spider-Man 300 Newsstand Edition CGC 9.6. It has never been pressed, but unfortunately no grader's notes available.  The only visible defect is the tiny tear in the lower left corner. I see no other creases, bends, or spine stress that break colour. The scuff marks you see are on the slab. Do you think it would be worth sending in for pressing for a possible grade bump?

asm1.jpg

There's color and paper missing from this corner.  I can't imagine a manipulation is going to make that corner appear any better or qualify for better than a 9.6 grade.