• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C**S ... is it true?
6 6

126 posts in this topic

I may have missed the discussion here and apologize if so, but I just heard (from a YT channel that appears to be informed) that CGC's direct competition is done and going forward, will simply be known as BGS.

Is this true?

On 8/27/2022 at 10:47 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Boy, I just did a googling of these guys, and they are getting hammered on complaints through the BBB. And so is CGC. All is not well in the ol grading world. Which is too bad.

I think you're right, the grading companies are likely making loads of money, but struggling with consistency, service, and quality of product.  

That wouldn't be a bad move IMO. I'm a card guy (it's actually my main hustle I use to fund my comic addiction LOL) and Becky is pretty much the gold standard in that area. I didn't even know the comic and card companies were owned by the same people until I visited their home office in Dallas. Branding their comics with the B would bring the same prestige CGC gets by branding their card arm with their name. Their current name has no cache.

On 8/27/2022 at 12:45 PM, aardvark88 said:

Unfortunately, may need name brand change to Beckett Grading Service after 'losing' more than 300 raw comics from a slabber during their warehouse move to another state.

From what I've read, the incident occurred before the move.

On 8/27/2022 at 1:17 PM, Dr. Balls said:

The name had always been clumsy. The logo looked unprofessional, the labels looked like cheap knockoffs. They may have had solid grading services, but if you can’t reinforce that with effective branding - it’s not going to survive the long-term in people’s minds and choices. Being bought out by a company who understands their potential but sees that their lack of branding as a means to capitalize on an investment in the company makes it a sound move - if that’s truly what’s going on.

Not to mention the forum is run by tiny people with tiny genitalia 

Its hard core clique based and no ability to retain any sense of continuity or relevant knowledge 

Oh, and the clique abhors CGC, though not sure if the bashing has subsided since someone left

On 8/27/2022 at 1:33 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Is their forum a similar type of arm like the CGC one here? Representatives of the company on their boards? (I have not been to their boards).

SB used to frequent their boards