• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C**S ... is it true?
6 6

126 posts in this topic

On 8/27/2022 at 1:36 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I just recently found out DiceX went there to be their presser, and when I used to hang out here prior to 2015, he was always here. Did some of the longtime CGC boardies migrate over?

A few have, though I can't remember anyone's names

Is there a thread/page somewhere with some more info on this 'missing shioment'? 

On 8/27/2022 at 1:06 PM, Cman429 said:

That wouldn't be a bad move IMO. I'm a card guy (it's actually my main hustle I use to fund my comic addiction LOL) and Becky is pretty much the gold standard in that area. I didn't even know the comic and card companies were owned by the same people until I visited their home office in Dallas. Branding their comics with the B would bring the same prestige CGC gets by branding their card arm with their name. Their current name has no cache.

I'm not really a card guy but is Beckett really gold stanard or PSA?  

On 8/27/2022 at 3:28 PM, Dr. Balls said:

From a design perspective there are two goals for the label:

1. Easy for the reader to navigate visually with a typographic hierarchy that is consistent while best utilizing the white space that is created between the information points.

2. Allow for adequate space for titles and notation that fluctuate from very few words to many words, but still maintains a strong balance for 98% of all labels (2% being the ones that are impossible to fit - not everything is perfect)

it’s simple and challenging at the same time.

These are things that I pointed out to a Steve Borock before he launched CBCS as I was vying for the design work of his brand and label. I had designed a label with a scalable color key to clean up the front label and move information to the back. It was quite cool In my opinion - but alas, not enough to gain the work. Which was ok, it’s all part of getting/not getting jobs in that industry - but I felt they made a bad judgment call with their labels and logo that would affect their impression on customers.

I could be wrong but I think CBC* went through 2 or 3 variations of their label and could never get it 'pleasing to the eye' as CGC has. Interestingly, PG* has nearly copied CGC's label and looks worlds better than their original. EG* just looks like a bad traveling side show to me. 

I'm sure you had a nice design for them Dr.Balls, but you know what they say about hindsight.

Edited by Hibou

On 8/27/2022 at 12:56 PM, Dr. Balls said:

It’s a tough situation - they want to grow and continue to make money, but if you can’t manage it, you kill your own business. As much as I comment on certain CGC policies, I do sympathize - because at a certain point it becomes a runaway train. And having this business crash and burn would be to the benefit of no one.

Both companies are top heavy.